Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did you change your mind about Morgan?

Discussion in 'Episode 604 - Here's Not Here' started by and138, Nov 1, 2015.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

A lot of people have been frustrated with Morgan's "all life is precious" philosophy so far this season. I'm wondering how many have changed their minds about him or gained a new perspective now that we've seen where his beliefs come from.

2. Brahmabull

Brahmabull Member

not really

Morgan's philosophy nearly got Rick killed. It has no place in this world. It got his teacher killed too

3. jackson04

jackson04 Active Member

I have changed it somewhat. Killing doesn't give you more peace if someone is already dead, but to protect someone in my opinion is different.

4. EvilChani

EvilChani Member

Nope. I still loathe him. That's great that he can protect himself from vile killers, but other people can't, so letting rabid murderers go is sentencing innocents to death. Piss on Morgan and his BS philosophy.

5. raccoon city

raccoon city Member

Yeah a little bit. I'm a bit more understanding about why he is the way he is now. I still think it's a dumb philosophy but it makes more sense now with his backstory revealed.

6. Brahmabull

Brahmabull Member

Rick and Morgan are going to have a huge disagreement at some point in this season

I wouldn't be surprised if Rick kills Morgan because he feels that he's threatening the well being of the whole crew.

7. Tara La Reine

Tara La Reine Member

He really needs to find some sort of balance between crazy killer Morgan and dangerous pacifist Morgan- although Chris Hardwick just made an interesting comment about all-or-nothing personalities. Regardless, Morgan has no business judging others for killing when necessary given his past actions.

#7 Tara La Reine, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  8. Elly F.

Elly F. Member

I've gained a greater perspective for sure, and tho I agree with the philosophy of life, in this time, in this world, it needs a lil adjustment. The dead pose an obvious threat, however as typical in human history there's a need or desire for conquest and gain, and that is the greater of the two.

9. Inspector_Swag

Nah, this episode (although enjoyable) was incredibly cliche and predictable. Nothing can justify his sentiments in a world like this. They can't coexist.

10. jojo

jojo Member

No his philosophy is going to cause the death of many if not his own by Ricks hand. Once Rick comes back and pieces together the wolf attack and Morgan's actions during and after it.

11. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Morgan's a douche. His actions (or inactions) cause innocents to be killed. Now he's got the Wolf locked up inside Alexandria and it doesn't look like anyone else knows that. Be interesting to see the consequences of that.

12. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I think in the end, even Eastman didn't completely believe in the philosophy of Aikido. It was something to replace his murdered family, something to give him a reason to go on. But when Eastman got bit, he seemed relieved. The façade could finally end, and he admitted to Morgan that he kidnapped the convict who murdered his family and watched him starve to death.

The Head Wolf's comments at the end felt like they confirmed how foolish Aikido is in this world. There is a difference between being a killer and being a murderer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

I suppose you think having this episode devoted to Daryl would have been better? Have an open mind for christ sake.

14. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

I'm reminded of John Steinbeck's "Lifeboat", where the survivors of a ship torpedoed by a Nazi U-boat rescue another ....and it turns out that he is from the U-boat and a total sociopathic Nazi killer . "What do we do with people like this ?" is the moral dilemma, but eventually they kill him. Not ALL life is precious. ....And there are some that are so monstrous, so without redemption, that they don't get to live. Eastman and now Morgan are not 'wrong' in their philosophy for 'them' , in that it brought them back from insanity; but to me it brings up the scenario of ....that evil exists when good men do nothing. I prefer Carol's way of thinking. As Nicotero explained, she's no cold-blooded killer, but she is unafraid to confront evil and do what must be done.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

I have a greater understanding for who Morgan is and how he came to such a perspective. It's valid for him as an individual. That's why it worked for Eastman, he was alone in the woods. But Morgan on the "people are everything" idea combined with the "all lives are precious" concept and its a recipe for disaster.

Morgan not killing the wolves in the woods last season was fine, for him but it lead to Poncho Guy getting trapped and the Wolves stumbling upon Aaron's knapsack. We all saw how Morgans pacifism led directly to the attack on Rick immediately following the assault. He can't reconcile his principles with the realities of living in a large group.

So while I have a greater appreciation for Morgan, I'm still knee deep in the "I don't take chances" school of thinking

• Like Like x 1
  16. lurkers&roamers

Exactly. Morgan's philosophy did help him. It brought him back from being a complete monster. His philosophy was good for him when he was alone. Now, he needs to adapt. Some people don't get to live. I still like Morgan, but he needs to get his head in the game on that count. He needs to be more like Carol. Not as cold as Carol (remember a few episodes ago she basically told a little kid to stop crying about his dad being dead). I love Carol, but that's screwed up and quite frankly unacceptable to say to a young kid. Still, Morgan needs to understand that killing has become necessary from time to time in this world. And Carol needs to understand that some situations require compassion. They need to learn from each other.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Spartangal22

Spartangal22 Member

I enjoyed the episode much more than I thought I would, but, if anything, it made me angrier with Morgan. His blind anger against the two men in the woods, and his foolish mistake in not putting them down, resulted in Eastman's death. Now his blind devotion to "all life is precious" is likely going to result in someone's death when a clearly evil man escapes under his watch.

Morgan is not necessarily "better." Obviously he's coping better than he was in Clear, but he's still clinging to a mantra that is nice in principle but more complicated in reality. Sometimes you have to kill. Alpha Wolf said, point blank, that he was going to kill Rick's kids and Morgan is letting that remain a possibility? That's not discipline; that's selfishness. He doesn't want to kill so he's not going to - forget the consequences it might have for everyone else.

Like I said, I liked the episode. Eastman was fantastic - too bad Morgan's hesitation led to his death. Morgan still has a long way to go; I think it's interesting that, before the season started, people thought Morgan was going to bring Rick back from the edge. That's still possible, but it seems to me that they're more likely to meet somewhere halfway now, because Morgan needs some help too.

18. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I totally agree that you can practice your pacifism if you live alone in the woods and no one else suffers from the consequences of your actions, and that Morgan has to realize that that approach might not work in a group situation especially against people who have chosen to be evil.

It occurs to me that Eastman never had to face off against people like Joe, or Gareth or the wolves. I wonder how his philosophy would have worked out then? He was damn lucky that Morgan was basically a decent man who had just lost his way.

19. Dyson

Dyson Member

Dale: "all life is precious" season 1 & 2
    Andrea: "all life is precious" season 3
    Herschel: "all life is precious" season 4
    Tyreese: "all life is precious" season 5
    Morgan: "all life is precious" season 6

Uh-oh, nevermind I'll do it myself
    [​IMG]

20. lovethishow

lovethishow Member

It did change my mind a little. I think Morgan and Eastman are right in that life is precious and you shouldn't kill people mindlessly. But NOTHING in the world, pre or post apocalyptic, is completely black and white. The mantra "all life is precious" should be change to "ALMOST all life is precious". I think its okay for Morgan to give people second chances, to refrain from killing if it isn't 100% necessary... but sometimes you have to kill in order to preserve other more precious lives.

If that wolf who has has tied up kills more people, and Morgan STILL doesn't realize that you need to kill people sometimes, then I am DONE with him.

It was good to understand why he is like that though. I didn't mind an entire episode dedicated to Morgan as much as I thought I would.