Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Dale Horvath

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead TV Characters' started by Canadian36, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Canadian36

Canadian36 Member

Okay, I don't get it... Why would they go and kill off dale like that? Why not soffia's mom or t dog, or one of the farmers other daughters. Why Dale who's like a "main character". I think that was really stupid. Like what dumb thing to do. Save the main characters that have been around and that add all the drama and life to the show. The show just died like 15% or so. There's no way it can have the same dynamic now. All that's left are a bunch of screw ups who have not much humanity left or reasoning. I guess it would be a good group if they want to start to write in more mayham since all thats' left is crazy's and phychos. So in that respect it could make for possibly more action orientated shows, hopefully.

So what did you think of Dale? And do you think getting rid of his character was a good idea or not?

2. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

I liked Dale.
    Unfortunatly from what I heard, they got rid of him because the actor wanted out of the series.

3. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I read...apparently Jeffrey DeMunnis is a friend of Darabont and was unhappy that he was gone from the show. At least that's the buzz going around the internet...purely speculation, but makes some sense of the sudden and unexpected departure of Dale. :shining:

4. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Dale was friggin' awesome! He spoke his mind but it was in the sense of what is in the best interest of the group. He would talk to and confront any of the members on anything that he felt was affecting the group. It took Lori badgering into Rick's ear about how shane wanted everything Rick had, before Rick finally had a chat with shane about him being such a snake in the grass. Meanwhile, Dale had been keeping shane in check since Day 1, despite his own trepidations of shane. On top of all that Dale was a walking Auto Zone, great night watchman, and a heck of an RV navigator...
    Kudos to Jeffrey DuMunn for his portrayal of Dale throughout the series. I really enjoyed his last show and his plea to the rest of the group about saving some form of humanity during the ZA. Great acting chops, it's a HUGE loss for the show...:shining:

5. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

I also read that it was his choice to leave in support of Darabont - apparently (though obviously all hearsay) he changed his mind but by then it was too late. I think it is a shame as I used to like Dale - at least in S1 and beginning of S2. I wouldn't be surprised if they will turn Hershel into his replacement - the older, wiser, hands on S1 Dale type guy.

6. Jay

Jay New Member

why did darabont get dropped?
    and dale was a good character but i don't believe he was as crucial to the show as the OP does.

#6 Jay, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  7. ZombieLove718

ZombieLove718 New Member

Hated Dale with a passion. He was the last bit of humanity left in the group. He just got on my nerves every single episode. Trying to play this father figure or whatever he was trying to do. Glad to see him go. Now if they would only get rid of lori and carl!

8. Jay

Jay New Member

If the show got rid of everyone you dislike would be more or LESS interesting? Without the different types of characters the show would be alot less interesting IMO. Dale was a big loss to the show if you ask me, sure he was a little annoying sometimes but was a voice of reason when otherwise people would make rash decisions. Would say i dont understand all the Dale hate but there are so many people who ass-lick shane (a fictional character).Pretty ridiculous IMO

9. Andrews

Andrews Member

I liked Dale in S1, but in S2 I couldn't stand him. I don't like when the main characters like Dale dies off, but someone in the group will take his place, probably Hershel or Andrea.

10. RickFan22

RickFan22 Member

I believe that with Dale gone Hershel will step up and start having a more active role in the group and probably take Dales role of being the groups conscience. Just a thought though. It sucks when an actor does not want to be part of the show anymore, especially a main character. He was not one of my favorite people (Its the apocalypse now, it IS survival of the fittest) But it was nice to see someone so true in his convictions.

11. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Jeffery DeMunn aka Dale asked AMC to release him from the show.

12. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

I was lukewarm about Dale. he started getting on my nerves nettling Shane and with the staring matches in the last few episodes. This episdoe Dale had a bit of a point but, I think his death was really silly and not well done.

13. turbo6

turbo6 Member

I liked Dale despite his annoying parent type persona. Whether you liked him or not, he was an important character to have for his different views on things which makes for conflict and thus a more interesting story.

He wanted what's best for everyone and like everybody else wasn't perfect but its commendable he wanted to remain humane through a situation like this.

I can't say I agreed totally with his last plea for Randal but, I can understand his side. Sure, killing him won't stop his group of 30 from potentially finding them but he's too much of a liability at this point and this isn't the time to gamble with people's lives and safety.

Its kind of strangely ironic in a way how he died. A peaceful guy who was trying to save another person's life, inadvertently wandering outside to be killed by a surprise walker.

I think in a way this will mark a grim new beginning, as the point he was trying to make may have died with him. There is no humanity left now...its kill or be killed.

I am curious as to if this could possibly be the turning point where the farm started to become unsafe...

14. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

15. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

I liked Dale in season 1 but in season 2 I began to dislike the character, it seemed he just had staring contests with Shane. I think if he told Rick about Shane aiming the rifle at his back he would have a better opening to talk to Rick and everyone about humanity being lost as exampled by Shanes actions. Whether the writers wrote the character in the 2nd season (especially the 2nd half) as annoying (in my opinion) was on purpose or not who knows, the show may have wanted to get back at the actor some way after he expressed his strong feeling about the fiering.

16. Peanut Q. Public

i'm so desperately in love with Dale. comic book and TV show Dale. i knew about the Frank Darabont thing, and that they were working on killing him. i hadn't seen the footage of his death, but i had seen the scene where Carl is throwing rocks at the zombie and he gets loose. as soon as i saw it i knew that would be the death of Dale. they've just been building it up like crazy. i think Dale is gonna be the spark of humanity in everyone now. i think in later episodes we're gonna see a lot of "how would Dale have felt about that?" or "Dale would be so disappointed" or you know, some hint of such sentiment.

but Dale is totally, hands down, my absolute favourite. Rick is like a close second. comics and the show. anyhow my hope is that Dale will be the spark of humanity in all of them. people keep saying its dangerous to have humanity, i say its dangerous not to. your humanity is what keeps you from murdering someone in cold blood and what keeps groups of strong young men from raping every double x chromosome they encounter.

17. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Because Dale is obviously the Frank Darabont loyalist that they were talking about when the buzz hit the news on one of the actors was so mad about Darabont's departure that they asked to be released from the contract. So the request was granted, and then they changed their minds but the network must have felt it wasn't in time enough to invest more time rewriting that show and the next two, and re-taping them to have him not dead and in it.

18. Creepy

Creepy Member

It would have been funny if they kept the Dale character alive, but we tuned in one week only to find Wilfred Brimley on top of the RV wearing a floppy hat. Then we could start debating who is better, Dale I or Dale II.

I liked Dale (especially during the first season). He seemed to be the logical and organized one in the group. Think about it, he was the only zombie-bait type who the alpha males turned to when discussing important issues. In the second season they made him a little whiney, which was perhaps done so to soften the blow of him dying. Either way, I'll miss him being on the show.

19. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

HAHA

All I have to say to that, is THIS....

http://lkdfasjfkl.ytmnd.com/

20. ChristopherWalker

ChristopherWalker New Member

I'm going to miss Dale and his facial expressions. Not that he did but......