Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Re-fallen in love with the show

Discussion in 'Episode 907 - Stradivarius' started by Razorface, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Razorface

Razorface New Member

Surely I cannot be the only one who thinks this so I'll put it out there and see.

I'm coming around to thinking that Sir Rick Grimes was holding TWD back. Granted, it's only been 2 episodes since he left, but to me, those 2 episodes have been amongst the best that I've seen in a fair few seasons, (the odd episode aside). It feels like now the handbrake of having to see most things through Rick's eyes has been lifted, some absolutely excellent story telling and exciting scenes are starting to come through and I for one have now re-found the love I had discovered with the show all those years ago.

Of course, it's impossible to say for sure whether the show would have been headed in this direction anyway had Rick stayed, but I'm actually kinda glad he's gone and don't (as yet) miss him.

Testament I guess to the incredible work everyone in front and behind the camera have done in taking up the slack. I now look forward to Monday ( U.K here) nights again as opposed to just watching out of habit.

O.K, let the insults and name calling begin.....

(goes hides behind the couch)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. StaceFace

StaceFace Member

Not going to bite your head off @Razorface because in a way I agree :eek:

I wouldn't say it has got better due to Rick no longer being there, but I think it gave it the push for a reboot that the show desperatley needed. The show can now develop and move on.
    I also haven't missed Rick in these last 2 episodes, however I am reminded of him which I think is why. Judith's sass and the way she talks to people is very much like Rick. It could come to February and I'll be screaming "Bring back Grimes!" at the TV on a Monday night! But for now, I'm happy with the remaining characters, feel just as on edge/distrusting of the newbies like Michonne (although I have read the comics so have been introduced to their group already), and I'm enjoying the show now and not just watching it, as you said "out of habit".

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

In season 4B we went many episodes without Rick. And the first couple of episodes without him were "that's okay, he will be back" And that stretched out far too long. I think the show will have a stretch of time where his absence will most certainly be felt. But as with all things we will adjust accordingly and carry on.

Do I think the reason the show is better because of his (Rick's) absence? No. What I think is that show has a fresh face running things. She has brought in some new writers and directors. She has not fallen into the bottle episode trap or the trap of only focusing on a couple of characters each episode. She realizes the importance of secondary characters and the development of those characters. I do think that with Rick leaving it has opened up the story a bit BUT I am pretty damn confident that Angela Kang would have found a way to do that with Rick Grimes still around. It would have been awesome to see where she would have taken Rick Grimes, but alas we will not have that luxury.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Oh and @Razorface welcome to the forum!! I see you have been a member since February but only two postings so I am "grandfathering" in your welcome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I second this welcome. we are all pumped about the show direction @Razorface :D

6. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

I honestly thought I was going to miss Andrew and Lauren being on the show. But despite the powerhouse and eye-candy they could be, I feel that even after these two episodes and the quick intro of our new characters, I'm getting to like this direction.

Of course we're still going to have the usual hordes of haters spouting off at the lip.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Sadly it goes with the territory.

Part of the reason for the implementation of my dungeon. I have a cell block specifically for the chronic haters and whiners LOL

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

I came to dislike Rick in the last few seasons so I'm glad he's gone. Nothing on Andrew Lincoln at all who's performance was top notch, he just had to work with the script he was given.

The character was just all over the place on feelings and reactions to things. He handled things so terribly. My final straw was when he executed the saviors in the building during the season 8 finale after giving his word. That's just not a character I can root for even granting all he'd been through.

After re-reading the comic version of events I have to say I disagree with people who say following the comic ruined the show. It's more like they ruined things by changing things from the comic too much!

Rant over! Love the show now. Haven't anticipated the next episode of the show in years like I do now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go so far as saying it's better without Rick, because I love him and this was his story for so long (and still is in many, many ways...) but I do love the new direction the show has gone. I love the emphasis and development of the other characters who I already enjoyed but who always seemed to orbit around Rick. Now they are central, and I'm not complaining.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tripp Knightly

Tripp Knightly New Member

Not in love but certainly @ FWB.

11. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Wtf is that? Lol

12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Yeah.....what she said!!

13. Tripp Knightly

Tripp Knightly New Member

People people people, google and ye shall find. Friends with benefits!

• Winner Winner x 1