Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

So assuming Trump is still alive, he'll in all likelihood be the Republican candidate. Does anyone have any personal favorites for a Democratic (or independent) candidate?

My personal favorite right now is Pete Buttigieg, although I'm not keen on his name. He's a bit too young, but otoh is smart, a veteran, and is a city mayor so he knows how to govern. I heard him speak and thought he was impressive.

2. Morgotha

No one? With all the anti-Trump fervor in this place no one has someone they want to be President in his place?

3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I am still on a wait and see basis.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PepperAnn

That reminds me, I saw that article when you posted it last night.....................is that.....legal?

6. Sharpie61

I don’t think so, but it’s Trump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Morgotha

At this point she looks to be one of the front runners.

I don't see Trump squashing competition as illegal any more than I see Hillary's using her friend at the DNC to squash Sanders as illegal.

8. Sharpie61

Bernie got to run against her. If that article is true, then Trump is making it so no one goes up against him. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Morgotha

It APPEARED that Bernie got to run against her. We didn't find out until later that the DNC basically was in the tank for Hillary. Sanders didn't really have a fair shot.

10. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Me too. I'm inclined a bit toward Kamala Harris but I want to see what everyone has to say first before deciding who I'll support. If Amy Klobuchar runs I'm very interested in what her policy stands will be. If we're looking at the race from a purely strategic POV then having a nominee from the midwest is the best bet. If you lock down those states Clinton lost then there's no real road to 270 for the Mad King. Klobuchar would be the perfect fit here, being from Minnesota. I'd rather play safe this election, and she's one of the safer bets. But she'd need to get traction in Iowa and win there to contend for the nomination.

Sanders and Warren are the only potential candidates that are strong nos for me in the primaries.

11. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Klobuchar is very much a left-centrist. She regularly works with members across the isle. She also won by a huge margin, even in places where Trump won easily. I like her a lot, actually (she's my Senator). She's maybe not as flashy, but she gets things done. Lots of legislation protecting consumers (she is working on a bill related to drug pricing). I dunno if she would make a great president (she might actually be too nice), she would definitely make a great VP.

Her record:

https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/K000367/bills-sponsored/115?page=1

I am definitely a #NeverBernie. I think Warren just has too much baggage, although I like some of her ideas. So far I think I lean Harris.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PepperAnn

Ya we need a left centrist. Although I know she's not running (can't) and is new to the political scene.......my perfect example of what we don't need is someone like AOC. Although she's adorable and very......excited.......lol.....she needs to calm down. Her policies are a bit much I think. Feel the same about Sanders.

And I love Harris. She's a tiger. But the medicare for all thing might be her downfall since it's not very popular.

13. Morgotha

And I need a painful rash... ;):rolleyes:

I agree about Ocasio. It's a good thing to have ideals, but a member of Congress should scale them to something that can actually be accomplished, and try and implement them. Do something useful for the country, not just propose some pie in the sky thing that everyone knows will never happen.

I like the concept of medicare for all. My problem with medicare for all is our court system. Whatever the policy starts out as, liberal judges will rule that more and more be included as covered until the whole system collapses. That won't benefit anyone. OTOH, there are some things that the government really could just flat out mandate being paid for for everyone like vaccines, etc. They should do so. Also, the biggest cause of bankruptcies in the U.S are from medical diagnosis and treatment of severe disease. I'd also like to take the top 5 killers/money suckers in medicine and have the government cover them as well - maybe not with a Cadillac version of everything, but at least a basic level of coverage for everyone so someone who gets really sick doesn't get thrown out of their home as well.

#13 Morgotha, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I don't understand how medicare for all isn't popular? It would solve virtually all of our healthcare issues, and ultimately is cheaper than what we have now. The only ones who DON'T benefit from it are insurance companies and banks, and frankly, **** them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PepperAnn

I need to read up on it. Because to me it seems beneficial too. But I keep reading it would bankrupt us. Maybe they are just talking about what you are talking about?

16. tink

tink Well-Known Member

https://www.politifact.com/wisconsi...medicare-all-really-double-every-americans-t/

https://vittana.org/15-pros-and-cons-of-single-payer-health-care

https://www.formosapost.com/pros-and-cons-of-universal-health-care/

Obviously there are pros and cons, but expense in my opinion is overstated. There are a LOT of hidden costs associated with our current system that people never look at when estimating the costs of a single payer system. People who are disabled because they don't seek out care before it's too late, bankruptcies caused by medical bills, the costs to businesses for providing healthcare to employees, etc. all have HUGE costs to the system already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Morgotha

Not to mention the *profit* produced for the insurance companies that is way more than the 2% overhead of Medicare.

18. Stealth

What I like about AOC is how much she riles up the unhinged right. If they're obsessed with her then they're doing less damage elsewhere. She also handles them very well. They're miscalculating too by going after her so hard. She tends to connect with people who are more on the edges of politics, either fed up with it or not all that interested.

19. Stealth

Medicare for all has had a upswing in popularity over the past year. Most recent poll I saw had it at 70%. Even a small majority of Republicans are in favor now.

I think it's eventually where we'll arrive within the next 10 years.

• Like Like x 2
  20. PepperAnn

I really do like her a lot. She just needs to play her political cards a little less aggressive being so new.