Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Game of Thrones(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Killermolls, May 17, 2012.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Has anyone read Fire and Blood? I have the book but I haven't started it yet. I've heard mixed reviews but I think some people were just angry that Martin released it before Winds of Winter.

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I got the book for Christmas but didn't have the time to read it then. I have some time now so I think I'm gonna start.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stealth

Yeah there's a couple of other things I'm reading and I'm almost done with them. I'm leaning toward starting Fire and Blood next.

Saw an interview Martin gave over the last few months and I got the feel from it that Winds of Winter is a lot further off than some rumors led us to believe. He said something about having "thousands of pages" in order to finish the saga and he going page by page, and word by word.

He's said there will be a Fire and Blood 2 to finish that up also. I bet we get that before Winds of Winter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. purriwinkle

I didn't know that. Let's hope F&B is an entertaining read while we're waiting for Winds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed re: season 4. Dorne was a bit of bore..

6. Stealth

Still no full Season 8 trailer yet. We only keep getting teasers. HBO dropped another one yesterday with their full channel lineup for the year. This one showed the Unsullied marching in the snow with Drogon flying overhead. Guessing this was the approach to Winterfell. There was a shot of Arya looking, first in shock and then amazement. It was probably her first look at the dragons.

This is becoming almost as torturous as Martin releasing Winds of Winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. purriwinkle

I finished Fire & Blood. As a retelling of the Chronicles of Westeros from Aegon the Conqueror through Aegeon III it reads a bit, shall we say, drier than his Fire & Ice books. However, it gives you a good background as to how the kingdom of Westeros as we know it from the show and books came to be.

I found I had already read a good portion of the second half of the book because the story of the Dance of the Dragons had previously been published in the Dangerous Women anthology. Since it was the best, IMO, and most action filled section of the whole book, I didn't mind reading it again, only this time I got to see what led up to it and what happened afterwards.

The only thing that I really had to keep straight in my head was who the various characters were since those Targs kept naming their kids after other people in their families over and over again, sometimes with just a slight difference in spelling. More than once I had to go back to make sure who I was reading about, but that was probably just me.

We got a good look at the first Baratheon's, an ancestor of Eddard Stark and some of the other great Houses. We also read about other great houses that seemed to be missing from the current story so in the second volume I hope to read their fate. I also want to know if that duplicitous and slippery knave, Unwin Peake gets his just desserts. AND there are still a couple living dragons around at the end of the book (not counting the Cannibal cause who knows where he disappeared to) that I'm interested in finding out what happened to them. Of course, Sheep Stealer may still be alive in the mountains even in the current time period despite Nettles being long gone, but I'd like to know if he gets mentioned again.

One thing I found was that this retelling kind of sold me on the rule of exceptionalism ( I think that's right) as the Targs marrying their own made for some of the better pairings. So I'm not quite so squeamish over Dany and Jon any more and with his fresh Nothern blood into the mix and they would make a perfect power couple.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stealth

Interesting. It's sounds like Martin's version of Gibbons "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire," but for the Targaryens and Westeros.

As for GOT, the show has set the groundwork too for people not being too bothered by the whole Dany/Jon pairing. It's nothing to the extreme of Jaime and Cersei, plus Jon and Dany have grown up separately on other sides of the world and are very different, right down to their looks. Jon could pass as a younger version of Ned.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stealth

I don't believe this will happen, but imagine if they ended the series this way. D&D would have to go into hiding.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stealth

The trailer has finally arrived. My favorite shot is the one of Jon and Dany walking to Drogon and Rhaegal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealth

A few thoughts:

• Got the feeling from the scene with Cersei drinking the wine with tears in her eyes that it was close to the end of the line for her. Reminded me of her in the throne room with Tommen when she thought Stannis would take the city
    • Loved the Sansa reaction shot as the dragons flew over Winterfell.
    • I hope the night battle against the Night's King isn't so dark that it's difficult on first viewing to know what is going on.
    • The Night's King was suspicious due to his absence. Makes me wonder if showing him would be too much a giveaway as to his location. I've thought that he might divide his forces and not hit Winterfell himself.

• Like Like x 2
  12. purriwinkle

I loved that trailer. Thanks for posting. I hate it when a scene is too dark to make out completely. I thought the trailer started out that way. The looks on the two Stark girls was precious. Well, Dragons haven't been seen in Westeros for almost 300 years and yeah....it's an awesome sight. I wondered when it showed Jon and Dany approaching them if Jon will also become a dragon rider. Then we'd have echos of the new F&B chronicle.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stealth

I thought the same thing with that scene, that they were about to ride the dragons. Jon is going to have both a dire wolf and a dragon now. Hopefully all four of them make it through the finale alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stealth

My rewatch is now up through Season 7 episode 2. Will wait to watch the finale of season 7 until just before the premiere in April. I'm really glad that I did the rewatch. Picked up on some things I overlooked before.

FINALLY, just one month to go now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

we started the rewatch back February hoping to finish by April 14th So, 3 weeks later, we were done and looking at the long wait still, lol. It amazes me how good it is even when you are rewatching it. I suggest you go ahead and finish season 7 so you can rewatch all your favorite scenes several more times before the premier :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

She's the queen of rewatch @Stealth .......at this point she is on her 8th rewatch of the latest season finale. LMAO

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

so say the great procrastinator

18. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I gotta at least finish the last season rewatch. Make me sit down this weekend please. lol

19. Stealth

There were some episodes that I had already seen a few times, like Hardome, Blackwater and Winds of Winter. What I enjoyed most during this rewatch was some of the smaller scenes and things I overlooked a bit on the first viewing.

20. Stealth

You should try and squeeze in Season 4 too. It's the best one they did. I appreciated it even more on second viewing. I don't think I'll ever watch Season 5 again though, aside from the Hardhome episode. My rewatch really slowed down when I hit that season.

• Like Like x 1