Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Hurricane Season 2019

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by southernlady, Jul 10, 2019.

1. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

It looks like we have the first Gulf storm for 2019. Should be named Barry by Friday. Threat to the northern Gulf Coast. New Orleans has been getting heavy bands all morning.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. southernlady

This is not looking good for SE Louisiana. This is a very slow moving storm. Yesterday we had a lot of flooding and that was from one of the outer bands. I actually saw a video of a man swimming on Canal Street - it looked like a lake. The current track will be catastrophic for New Orleans and the River Parishes. Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for some areas due to the rising river (expected to spike to 20ft., the highest in 70 years) officials are concerned the river could top the levees. To say I'm a little nervous down here would be an understatement.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I saw they had evacuated some nursing homes. It does look frightening.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Stay safe and heed the warnings.

The truth is out there

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. southernlady

They did that out of an abundance of caution, the flooding we had on Wednesday caused so many problems. Patients at Children's Hospital had to be moved to higher floors, etc. It was a complete mess.

Now that the dry air is moving out, the system will organize and strengthen. It will be good news for New Orleans if it follows the NHC track. We will get some tropical force winds and rain, but won't be as catastrophic as first thought. On the other hand, it's going to play hell on the central LA coast and Baton Rouge. It is a very slow moving storm and is not expected to get picked up by the high until Sunday morning.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. southernlady

Thanks Sharpie :) I'm at work for now to handle a few pressing issues. Then it's home to hunker down!

7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I saw a video of the street next to Bourbon street. It was a river. You could see cars completely under the water.

8. southernlady

Poor Puerto Rico. Hopefully Dorian won't impact the island and if she does, I hope the impact in minimal :(

9. PepperAnn

Yeah most of them still have blue tarps for roofs. :( :(

10. southernlady

It's very sad that people are living like that two years after the fact. Unacceptable IMO. The latest forecast is looking better for PR at this point

[​IMG]

#10 southernlady, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. PepperAnn

I just hope it dies out altogether. Ugh

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. southernlady

We can hope!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Sharpie61

As if this mornings track, they are saying it will make landfall on Monday/Tuesday now. It will be hitting Palm Beach. It’s also going to take its time making its way up through Florida.

We are boarding up, starting today, as we have a lot of windows. Thankfully the anchors have already been set, so we just have to put in the bolts. We will not be evacuating, as my mom can not travel, and we can’t leave her behind at the nursing home.
    I will come here to check in every now and then. And hope the other Florida peeps do the same.

The truth is out there

14. southernlady

Hi Sharpie, I’ve been thinking about you. Please stay safe. I’ll be watching for your check in’s as well as others in the path of the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 southernlady, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  15. PepperAnn

Ugh, I know you will have a lot going on but please do just send a quick note here or there and let us know you are ok. Sending lots of love and good wishes. <3

16. Sharpie61

F***

The new report has the storm coming in to Vero beach, still as a 4, then going up the coast.
    Not good news for us.

The truth is out there

17. Sharpie61

Unbelievable
    Our news just reported that law enforcement is asking people to not shoot at the storm, when it approaches.
    Humans are stupid

The truth is out there

18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That sounds oddly similar to that scene in Independence Day when the new reporter person announced that police were asking Los Angeles residents to not shoot at the alien ship for fear that it would trigger an interstellar incident.

I love it when life imitates art in an embarrassing and unintentional manner. lmao

19. Sharpie61

The 11 pm update from the hurricane center was so much better then the 5 pm one. For brevard at least. If we have to go through this, it’s better to be in the s. west quadrant. And that’s where we are now. They have the storm coming on shore in the northern part of the county (we are at the southern edge).
    It’s still going to be a 4, possibly a 5 now, but we aren’t positioned in the worst part of the storm.

Hoping Dorian follows Erin and turns more north, and stays out at sea.

The truth is out there

20. Sharpie61

At least in the movie, they were shooting at something that was solid, and could shoot back.

I wonder- if a bullet enters 150 mph swirling wind, does it keep going around or shoot out at some point. And if it does come out and hit some random person, will the shooter then be charged with “murder by hurricane bullets”.
    Ah, the random thoughts at 2am, in a sleepless night.

The truth is out there

• Funny Funny x 1