Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Episode 515 Channel 5

Discussion in 'Episode 515 - Channel 5' started by Sharpie61, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Looks like we will have to post here for this episode
    @Zedd if you make a thread for episode 15, could you move these over.

The truth is out there

#1 Sharpie61, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Sharpie61

Spoiler summary

Episode 515 "Channel 5" Spoiler Summary

This episode is filmed almost entirely using the "found footage"/documentary style of filming that we saw in 509.

The episode starts with a propaganda video created by Ginny sharing interviews with all the people she has helped. The only thing is, she has left out all the parts about how they forcibly took over Tank Town and how easily she kills people that she finds non-essential. At the end of the video Ginny comes on with her pitch about how she and her group are trying to build a better tomorrow, and if anyone needs help, just pick up a walkie and call them on channel 5. The camera pans out, and we see Morgan, Al, and Tom watching the video. Al is so infuriated by what she just saw that she take the tv and throws it onto the floor where it smashes into pieces.

Al is making a new documentary. They start off talking about why they do things the way they do. They are making this second video in an attempt to show everything that they do, both the good and the rough parts of their daily lives. They only have the one tanker of gas left, and that supply is dwindling. Grace is very sick. She is dehydrated and unable to keep food down. They don't know for sure if it is cancer or radiation sickness or something else. But they are doing everything to keep her comfortable and provide whatever medical care they can for her.

Tom is reunited with his sister Janis on tape. We find out that Janis is the woman that Wes helped rescue at the way station. Tom is now involved in filming because he believes so strongly in the group's mission. June is taking the lead in trying to find the group a new home.

Alicia is still painting trees but has a difficult time explaining why she is painting trees and how it helps her.

June is leading the group in searching for a new home. However, all the scouts are reporting back that any potential locations have been burned to the ground.

Wes is now a part of the group and during his interview on tape he says he thought what this group was doing was bullshit, but now he believes in this bullshit.

Grace and Daniel are trying to teach Charlie how to play guitar. Charlie is also one of the voices we hear behind the camera during the filming of the interviews.

Strand is becoming increasingly jaded. They are running perilously low on fuel and they struggling to find a new home. There just doesn't appear to be any viable locations anywhere.

A walker crashes through the perimeter of the camp site and they discover it is wearing a badge from Humbug Gulch. Apparently there are more than one of these attractions and John says they must be close to the original Humbug Gulch. Based on John's description of the place, the group decides they are going to make a last big push with their remaining fuel to reach that location.

Just then Grace falls unconscious and the group makes the decision to detour the convoy and head towards a retirement home that might have medical supplies they need for Grace. It is a risky move considering how low they are on fuel.

They make it to the retirement home and find what they need to help Grace. They get back on the road and to make up time/distance, they use a shortcut that Sarah found on the map. The only problem is a bridge they have to cross. Only a few of the cars make it across the bridge before it starts to come apart. The tanker and most of the convoy is on the "wrong" side of the bridge. They decide to move everyone across on foot and use a bucket brigade to to transfer fuel from the tanker to the few cars and the MRAP that are on the other side. The bridge is continue to come undone. Support wires are snapping and whipping through the air. And then Ginny shows up in a jeep. She has a faceoff with Morgan and his crew about the goals and methods. This culminates with Ginny offering to take in anyone who would want to join her. Morgan encourages this, yet no one wants to leave Morgan's group to join Ginny's. This angers Ginny so much, she has her crew fire their guns into the air in order to attract a nearby herd of walkers.

Now the group has to deal with a rapidly deteriorating bridge, and a herd of walkers. They manage to get everyone across, except Tom. Tom is so committed to "getting the story" that he is the last one on the bridge after everyone else has escaped. Everyone is screaming for Tom to run the last little bit across the bridge, but he is completely oblivious as he is consumed with the filming. The bridge collapses underneath of him and he dies.

The convoy continues their trip on foot and eventually make it to Humbug Gulch, only to discover the fencing that John thought would be an asset for their protection is actually containing a large herd of walkers. The group is completely despondent. Al stops filming because this isn't the way it was supposed to end. Strand tells them all that they are not without options. Everyone knows he means that they can call Ginny. Morgan hesitates but he sees no other way out for their group. They are out of food and water and in the middle of nowhere. So he picks up a walkie and calls out for Ginny to come help them.

The truth is out there

3. Zedd

Zedd Administrator
    Staff Member

No problem. Everything is moved over.

4. Sharpie61

Thanks

The truth is out there

5. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Tom = stuipid, idiot who deserves to die. And yet, they manage to save/retrieve his camera.
    Also convenient that there was a large herd for Ginny to attract just at that time. Ughhhhh.

#5 Terminator, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I hate all of the camera stuff. It's as if the showrunners are so ill at ease about filming the show, they want to pretend it's a documentary. I feel insulted, as if they are implying I don't know how filming a tv show works. It's distracting to see some of the characters POV shots intercut with regular angles of shooting a tv show. It takes me out of the story every time they draw attention to it.

Even when they aren't drawing attention to it, it has been going on for so long it is always nagging at me. For example, all they are doing is walking toward the Gulch. A perfectly normal shot that shouldn't be awkward. But in my head I'm sneering, oh, yeah, who ran ahead and then turned around to get this shot. And this was soon followed by Al moving off to the side so she *could* shoot the passage of people walking forward, exactly what I had been bitching about to myself. I just hate it that that is where my attention is forced to be instead of on the story of the characters.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I despise the camera stuff too. When I first saw them use a number of episodes back, I thought it was only going to be for the intro. Then it just went on and on.

I guess you have to go documentary style when you can't write a coherent show.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

They also, somehow, retrieved his body. Like so many other elements of the past two seasons, no explanation is given for something that would normally be impossible given their situation.

9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Well, I think the bridge was basically just over a ravine with a creek in it.

10. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

FTWD really just tossed all the "setting realism" of TWD out the window. I huff at TWD but FTWD season 4 and a half and 5th feels like something made 10-20 years later or another show at times had it not been for the premise of it being Walking Dead based with the lingo and characters from Ricks old crew. A pity. One could almost imagine they let these clowns write FTWD to not steal thunder from TWD in a decline. I really liked what was brewing in Season 3, not everything was great but they did have something going.

11. Terminator

Pretty big bridge for a creek and ravine. If that was the case it shouldn't have been such a big deal getting across by using a rickety bridge. Could have walked down, across creek and back up. And it wouldn't have really saved then from the walker herd by getting across if it was small.

12. Neuropyramidal

Ravines are all sizes. Their plan wasn't to walk, it was to get the cars and tanker across because they still had many miles to go. When they show the angle looking through the hole you can see its water under the bridge, but its basically stagnant. Its not a fast flowing stream or river. It would have been quite easy to retrieve the body and camera, especially if it was quite shallow.

#12 Neuropyramidal, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  13. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

watched this morning. Probably the best episode of the season but that still is not saying much

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Terminator

I really don't care. The whole show is a joke so i'm not going to argue about ravine sizes and water flow.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Neuropyramidal

Sounds like a solid plan.

16. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Maybe the ravines water was still, but now it is zombie filled with a ****ing tanker in it. Knowing movies and tv-series, it probably exploded.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, things always seem to explode in movies when they crash. I've noticed that too. Screenwriters also seem to think that grenades cause huge firey explosions. And yeah, there's some zombies down in the creek now, but the tanker that fell with them probably pinned and/or crushed a good amount of them, and once the group got across the bridge and no longer in a panic, it wouldn't be hard to dispatch those zombies, in order to retrieve Tom's body.

18. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of work for that bunch of lazy simpletons. Apart from Dwight, walking seemed like an impossible task.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Well, as we said! Those are some pretty lazy bums as NakedCity points out! Lol! They can barely handle a hand full of Walkers. But yes, I imagine the truck screwed a lot of dead dudes over. So it would be eays if there waas no stream!

20. Neuropyramidal

Very easy in that water, yes. And Tom's sister was there, so its something they would definitely try to do. Either way, they did it, and I'm hoping someone snagged all the twinkies he was hiding in his pockets.