Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

TWD Rick Grimes Movies Filming Updates Discussion

Discussion in 'TWD Rick Grimes Movies Discussion' started by Neuropyramidal, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The skyline in the comic con teaser was actually Philadelphia. I've always thought Philadelphia was too close to the other communities. If they wanted to make it a giant organization that has up until recently completely avoided the radar of most of our communities they probably should make it somewhere like the west coast. But its also possible that they are just meeting in LA to tie up pre-production loose ends, and they are actually not filming near there. I think we will start finding things out in the upcoming weeks.

2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Looked at the twitter video from Pollyanna and basically she is just saying the same exact thing that has been said for more than a year now.

If Twitter videos from potential actors (saying that the movies havn't been canceled yet) is the biggest news there is regarding these movies then they are nowhere near even starting these things.

3. lastcat3

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5tpVB3gNF0/?igshid=1tj00tj4lpnyo

Here is the video. There is a pretty strong indication that she really doesn't know anything herself regarding these movies.

And as far as that Ronny Haze bit. He is just that crazy guy who runs that make a path YouTube channel. Not sure we should believe anything he says.

#43 lastcat3, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  4. Neuropyramidal

Oh negative Nancy. If you could, you'd try to will these movies out of existence lol. If she really knew nothing, it would be pretty random to make a post saying they are happening in the first week of December, the same days herself, Greg N. and Andy are in LA. The text of Pollyanna's tweet even eludes to the fact she is in LA right now. Of course Pollyanna is being updated lol. Who knows when it will start, but its happening ;)

#44 Neuropyramidal, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  5. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

6. lastcat3

We'll see. Where does the source come from that Andy was even L.A? The only one you mentioned was Ronny Haze who is just some stupid YouTuber who is trying to use his subscriber base to sell his self published comic he is doing.

7. Neuropyramidal

Actually Ronny is pretty good about not spreading false info in the past and has done interviews with cast and directors. People on TSDF are relaying sightings of them in LA, and Nicotero said he went to a movie with his friend "clutterbuck" a few days ago. Clutterbuck is Andy's given last name. And I saw a pic of Andy with fans at the airport in LA yesterday or two days ago. :)

8. lastcat3

Again we'll see. I'll start believing that things are moving forward with these movies when official announcements start getting made. I"ve been around the internet enough to know that if you are looking for legit info to take most of what you hear from unofficial sources with a giant grain of salt. As most fan sites these days are more into the business of getting more clicks than they are in getting legitimate info out there.

And I definitely havn't gotten the same impressions from Ronny Haze that you seem to have.

9. Neuropyramidal

I could also turn out that Philadelphia is not where they took Rick, but yet another location they jump back and forth showing. I also am picturing either an urban type setting or a very large compound with big buildings.

10. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

They also could just be having meetings prior. It doesn't seems as if the filming has begun.

11. lastcat3

We will get official announcements prior to any filming beginning (as well as word of who is actually going to be in these movies). At best they are probably just location scouting right now.

If these movies are still actually going to see the light of day we are still probably about two years away from seeing a release. If the biggest news coming out currently is a twitter video from one of the potential actors saying the movie hasn't been cancelled than they are nowhere near even starting the heavy lifting yet.

12. Stealth

We'll get at least one film. The others will depend on how well the first one does, and how it's received.

13. lastcat3

This whole thing should have been done around 2014/2015 when the show was still hot and the zombie genre was still a happenin thing. Even the World War Z sequel was cancelled earlier this year.

14. Stealth

i was surprised that the World War Z sequel was canceled. It grossed over half a billion, and it has Brad Pitt so you'd think they'd try and make it happen. Originally filming was delayed due to Pitt doing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and then Fincher also had another project. I heard though that when they got down to it the problem was a dispute over budget between Paramount and Fincher.

15. lastcat3

THe first WWZ movie had a lot of production issues to the point that they had to basically reshoot almost the entire third act of the movie. I think Paramount may have been worried about the same thing happening with this movie and given that the zombie craze has kind of come and gone they may have felt other things were better worth their money.

I think one of the biggest issues with these potential Rick Grimes movies (aside from the fact that it is a fading IP at this point) is that outside of the TWD universe Andrew Lincoln isn't a real big name. The roles he has had is pretty limited especially in terms of movies. In order for these movies to become a financial success they would need to attract audiences who aren't really watching the show (if they rely solely on the people who are currently watching TWD they would probably be asking for about a 10-20m OW) and it would be difficult to attract that outside audience when you have Andrew Lincoln playing the main character.

Honestly this whole thing really should just be a made for tv movie instead of something released in theaters. It is just set up to bomb if they try to release it in theaters.

16. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's this simple, but if we look at the 5.4 million people who tuned into Rick's last episode and multiply that by the average ticket price of $9.11.

That's $49 million. That doesn't feel like it would be worth it. Unless it's marketed to a much wider audience and it's released in an opportune weekend. I'm not sure the returns would warrant a sequel.

I know those numbers probably aren't that simple but honestly who is going to see a Rick Grimes movie other than those who tuned in to his last episode? Maybe some former fans who might find a movie interesting, but will audiences who don't watch the show go see a TWD movie?

At this point the movie won't be released for at least another two years. So 3 years after his last show appearance, will fans really run to the theater instead of just waiting another few months to see it at home?

Their best bet would have been to have this an AMC premiere dedicated trilogy and keep the budget down. If an episode is roughly $3 million, throw $6 at a 2 hour movie and without Melissa and Norman taking up a lot of that budget, the budget would be enough to make a good 2 hour movie. Release it on AMC premiere and then on AMC months later. Everybody wins. Because I just don't see a Rick Grimes theatrical release bringing in an audience 3 years after he left the show. At least not enough of an audience to warrant sequels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Stealth

Yeah and Gimple's recent vague remarks about the movie aren't helping either. If you have nothing to say about the project then just shut up. It's a real demotivator.

They need to make it appeal to a wider audience for sure. There are ways they could market that with the right people. But having someone like Gimple spearhead that isn't very encouraging for the success of the first film.

They are boxed in though in that if they present film # 1 and it does poorly at the box office I don't think they can just discard this whole saga there. They'll need to go more small scale and conclude Rick's story on the TV side. Right now that's the scenario I see playing out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Absolutely. They could/should use this movie (trilogy) as a means of attracting new viewers or bring back viewers who tuned out.

If they approach the movie as it's own story, including some backstory and exposition so people who never saw the show won't feel lost. It could work both as a movie franchise and still connect to the TV show. It could work in their favor. I do wonder about their approach though. If the movie is made to "continue" Rick's adventure, then only people caught up on the series will understand what is going on. That will he a huge mistake.

In a way they need to look at what Disney is doing with their stand alone movies and the Mandalorian TV show. You really don't need to be caught up on the saga movies to enjoy their offshoot stuff as they are all contained stories. If they take that approach and give us a contained story that is connected to the series, it should work. But if it's basically a 2 hour episode, it will fail.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lastcat3

It's honestly going to be tough to sell this product to a larger audience when the lead actor isn't very well known outside of the tv show he did. There are only a few IP's that are capable of doing such a thing and while TWD may have been capable of doing it five years ago I don't think it is anylonger.

Movies are really sold on who is starring in them probably even more so than what it is about. If they truly want to sell this to a larger audience then Michonne (who is played by an actress who has been in the Marvel movies) should be the lead character and not Rick Grimes.

In anycase it doesn't sound like they have gotten anywhere on these movies so I wouldn't expect to see them for another three years if they happen at all.

20. Stealth

With a compelling trailer, and premise, they can draw a larger audience. That's what happened with "A Quiet Place." None of those actors were widely known either. They could also cast a more well known actor in a key role.

• Agree Agree x 1