Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

WATCHATHON! Whatcha watchin?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lindigo, May 11, 2020.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I'm going to see if I can catch up on Outlander now that Comcast doesn't include that channel anymore. I don't know what else. :)

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Do you like music? Binge watch Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist from NBC. I was hooked! I’m also team Max!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I watched iZombie, which is a light show but fun, kind of like Grimm. Also kind of like Grimm the first half of the series was entertaining, then it went downhill fast.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lindigo

I'm about half way through Season 5. Skye Boat Song is breathtaking in this rendition. I love how they keep changing it up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. purriwinkle

Bear McCreary does a phenomenal job. I look forward to seeing how he changes it from season to season. Let me know what you thought of the season when you finish. They followed the books in most areas but in some they didn’t.

6. Lindigo

That was a great recommendation! I've added that to my DVR. I made time before midnight to check it out. The only other things I got to watch were Outlander (all caught up) and The Handmaid's Tale. I made it up to episode 3 of the last season.

So, Outlander. The death of Murtaugh was heartbreaking. I'm still missing him....

I really did think Jamie was going to die of the snake bite. I thought, OMG, THIS is the end of Jamie?!?!? It was that well done.

Claire's story was also well done and so horrifying I mostly could only listen. When she rattled off all of the things she has survived, I thought, yep, that's the violent downside of Outlander for me. And here comes some more....

Young Ian is a breakout winner with his new look and his aching heart. I just love Young Ian. He is so stoically just putting one foot in front of the other and wishing he could pass through the stones. I thought his hair was going to grow out, but I loved that he steeled himself for war by returning to his Mohawk ways.

I still dislike the actress playing Brianna. I was bummed that she is still with us. But how adorable is Jemmie!!!! Loved the scene with the opal and everyone's reactions. I, who recoil at the violence of this world, would not have hesitated for one second over Bonnett. Too bad Brianna won't want to keep that spectacular dress.

I wish I could still take it just one episode at a time. It's too rich to storm right through it without being able to let everything rest with me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. purriwinkle

I’m so glad you were able to get through the season. I thought the cinematography was exceptional. Some of those visuals were stunning.

Murtagh’s death was indeed heartbreaking, but seeing that he died in the battle of Culloden in the books, we got to enjoy him longer on screen. His romance with Jocasta was lovely but you might be surprised who she was secretly knocking boots with in the books.

Ian’s character development was major in the books and I think Jamie Bell has done an excellent job on the show. I do wish that they had had him dye his hair. In the books, he really was able to blend in with the native Americans that he adopted as his own. That worked to his advantage during the revolution as he became an Indian scout. If they never get into why he was estranged from his Indian wife, I’ll let you know if you want.

Don’t worry about the immediate family. Although Jamie and Claire are both aging and may die at the end of the series, they are safe along with Bree, Roger Mac and their kids (they have another child in the books) although there some close calls. This isn’t TWD or GoTs, lol.

The season finale really was intense. In some ways they made it worse than was written in the books if you can believe that. I do appreciate the fact that the writers tried not to be gratuitous as regards to nudity or the sexual assault (only one man actually raped her in the book) but it still was hard to watch. Claire is a strong woman though. She meant it when she said she wouldn’t let what happened shatter her. She’s a strong woman who also draws strength from her family and others whom she cares for and who cares for her.

Stephen Bonnet’s story arc ending and Claire’s abduction were pulled from book six. With a limited amount of episodes available to cover very big books, I think I know where they’re headed though next season. If I’m right it will be pretty good and like always, some heart wrenching moments. No more violent rapes though that I can remember.

Let me know what genres you’re interested in. I might have other recommendations for you when you’re ready for some more binge watching.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Lindigo

YES! The cinematography was outstanding. There was a single shot of Bree against autumn trees that bowled me over. Other single shots that I can't even remember now, but they were as true visual art as anything hanging in a museum.

Oooh, Young Ian as an Indian scout!!! I'm looking forward to that! I don't doubt the show will reunite him with his love at some point. *happy dance*

Okay, WHO was Jocasta's lover in the books? I can't even guess! Wait.... Ulysses? He certainly loves her.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. purriwinkle

You guessed it! Hector gifted Jo with Ulysses as her eye sight began to fail. Jo and Hector had a strained relationship after what happened in Scotland during the uprising. Turns out he had a wandering eye as well. Mistress and slave became close as you might expect. He was an educated man who kept Jo’s books and helped her run the plantation after Hector died. While they didn’t go into this on the show, that’s the reason he stayed with her, because he had fallen in love with her.

Ian never goes back to his Indian wife, since she divorced him and moved on. The problem was that “Emily”, as Ian referred to her, had a miscarriage and was never able to carry another child with Ian. When he finally confides in Claire she surmises it was probably a Rh incompatibility since she was able to have a baby with the man she took up with after Ian. (If I’m remembering that all correctly, lol) Don’t worry though. Ian eventually meets and falls in love with another woman, a Quaker lass no less, and they eventually marry and have a son. I hope we meet Rachel on the show. Oh, we must! She’s a fire cracker.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Lindigo

We match up. I wanted to love Grimm, but I had your reaction. And I couldn't get into iZombie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lindigo

I didn't know I could be, but I am even more in love with this show. I just got up to the episode with Dad being able to yes/no on a buzzer, and it made me cry. The dialog is so smart. Every character is so sharp and distinctive. LOVE the apartment friend. lol The singing and dancing is great. It hasn't hit a false note.

How does anyone not know Van Morrison's Moondance? Jesus take the wheel. lol

I have been thinking, and I can't come up with a genre I don't like, except most in the action category. I avoid anything with Stallone, Schwarzenegger, and Vin Diesel, but who didn't watch Die Hard the first twenty times it came up on TV.

I watch subtitled movies at the theater, but not on TV. I refuse to watch Woody Allen movies Anywhere because GRRRRR.

OH! I don't watch scary horror movies. Because they ARE SCARY.

Did you watch Belgravia?!? The twist at the end was so good, I was grinning for a week while I waited for the final episode.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

LOL! On Schwarzenegger, that brings up a funny memory. A colleague of mine's children were studying in Germany for whatever reason, and came back home visiting with some German friends. They were watching some Arnold movie on American t.v., and one of the Germans exclaimed, "Hey, Schwarzenegger has an Austrian accent!" I guess it makes sense, when you dub a movie into a different language the voice actors they use don't have the real actors' accents, but I'd never thought about it before.

Bruce Willis made me appreciate baldies.

I avoid anything having to do with Woody Allen like the plague (no tie to current events intended).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. purriwinkle

I’m glad you like Zoey. I agree with everything you said. I appreciate that they use older songs as well as newer ones. With some of the new ones, I finally got a chance to understand the lyrics which sometimes escaped me when I heard them played on the radio by the original artist, lol.

There’s so much going on between all the characters but it seems to blend in so effortlessly. When they get a home health aide for dad, you’ll meet his daughter who’s deaf. Without telling you what’s exactly going on, can’t spoil the plot, lol, they do a number with her and some other deaf students. One of the students is the actress who plays Kelly on TWD! Watch for her in the group number.

I’ve never heard of Belgravia? What’s it about and where do I find it?

Do you get Amazon? They have some great shows.

14. Lindigo

Nope. No Amazon, no Hulu, dropped Netflix.

You will have to select on your DVR to capture Belgravia on reruns as well as first runs. It just finished up this Sunday on my main PBS channel. (I missed the beautiful remake of Little Women on my main channel but it is finally starting this week from Episode 1 on a secondary PBS channel. I refuse to pay any premium extortion fees to see shows for the channels I already get in my extra deluxe package and used to be able to see for free via On Demand if I'd missed their first run or missed the first episode. I hate that every channel is adopting that annoying extortion fee for at-will access to their shows. I am from the all access generation--I won't be gouged further.)

Belgravia!!! The Downton Abbey guy wrote it first as a book, so this is an adaptation and thus the British audience already knew what was coming. They gave it only a solid B, but it was an A+ for me.

Belgravia, the most exclusive neighborhood in London, bang up against the royal grounds, has just been built by one of our characters and the Dukes and Earls are flocking to it, making our developer a rich tradesman. Oh, the horror. Oh, the magnificent sets.

A broken-hearted-thwarted love story redounds through the next generation. New love stories develop and some of the downstairs characters and angry second-born sons resort to underhanded and even criminal schemes to improve their lots. Delicious. Downton Abbey production values.

I would have given you a heads up but I thought you already kept an eye on PBS since we have both loved so many of their British imports.

#14 Lindigo, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Lindigo

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. purriwinkle

I do love PBS but sometimes it’s hit and miss depending on if I’m home or at my dad’s. I’m more likely to watch if I’m at his house because he doesn’t believe in spending money for tv so no cable or dish.

Belgravia sounds like my type of show for sure. I absolutely loved Downton Abbey and I watched Sanditon, which was adapted from Jane Austin’s last unfinished novel. I also watched Victoria which was terrific. Oh, and Dark Angel, Mrs. Wilson, Jamestown and that scary one with the two young women who were twins only one was in a mental institution and the other was forced to marry a guy who wanted her money and of course Poldark!
    Did you see the foreign one from Norway where the serial killer was killing gay men and lesbians? It’s not a period piece but it was good. Very tense. Having a senior moment with some titles, lol.

Lately the only things I’ve seen are season 9, (I believe) of Call the Midwife and Last Tango in Halifax. You can be sure I’ll look for Belgravia to see if I can find it offered anywhere. Thanks.

#16 purriwinkle, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Lindigo

Was the Norway one subtitled? If so, that would be why I skipped it, because otherwise that sounds good.

I was irritated throughout Sanditon. Some of the dialog was lifted straight out of Pride and Prejudice. Not one word changed.

I haven't seen Dark Angel or Mrs. Wilson or the one with the long description. lol I will put them on my DVR and wait for months for reruns. I will find the twin one on the PBS website, I'm sure. Thanks for the recommendations!

I just got through Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. I marvel at how good it is. Sometimes I really had to stifle my laughter so I could hear the dialog. It is also so honestly heartbreaking.

Zoey is so unappreciative of Max--I don't get it. A flashdance!!! I can only attribute her wishywashiness to the desire to keep that storyline running. I could see it because I have a free intro to Peacock--old NBC shows. Wow. Now they even want people to pay for olden day network reruns. I'm going to go cancel my free trial right now, because this is just crazy. But it did let me see Z's EP. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. purriwinkle

I had a brainstorm and looked in the television show threads since I remembered we had mentioned the show I gave the long description of, when we were talking in the Poldark Thread. The show was The Woman in White! How could I forget that, lol. We were also talking about how much we liked the Durrell’s of Corfu, another excellent show.

I didn’t particularly like the ending of Sanditon. Aren’t the young lovers supposed to end up together? Oh, well, lol. I didn’t know some of the dialogue was lifted from Pride and Prejudice since it’s been many years since I’ve read it, and I hate to admit it but not one of my favorites. I’m a Thomas Hardy or Bronte sisters girl myself. Give me Jane Eyre any day, lol. I’ll take Mr. Rochester, you can keep Mr. Darcy, ;)

You’ll like Dark Angel if you can find it. The lead character is a woman who goes through life poisoning her husbands and collecting the insurance. It’s a period piece set in Victorian England.

As for Zoey, she had assigned Max to the friend zone and took him for granted, IMO. The thing for me was that he really loves her, and a good friend can be the best lover. They were going to find out when her dad died and put an end to that. I was on the edge of my seat during that scene! Max looked pretty hot to me!

Simon, OTOH, while new and exciting, is an unknown factor. They bonded over their fathers but other than that do they have anything else to keep things going? Her energy and outlook excite him but what happens now if she gets a little depressed. Can he handle that? Max can.

If we get a season two, the writers are going to milk that triangle for all it’s worth. Maybe they’ll have her hook up with both men!
    Makes me wonder too, if mom will get a love interest. How long does someone grieve before they embrace life again, and can her brother and his wife have romance after twins? We’ll have to see if the next door neighbor will remain faithful to her boyfriend while he’s away on the cruise ship. So many story lines to explore!

I think the Norway one was subtitled. I seem to remember my father repeatedly asking me what was going on, lol.

19. Lindigo

Oh, yeah! I missed part of Woman in White, but eventually I got to see it from the beginning. That was the first time I realized I wasn't going to be rescued by OnDemand anymore, I think.

I was stunned to hear a 2nd season of Z's EP would be a question, but I googled and I see it had low viewership and now it is suffering from the COVID-related uncertainties of production.

I think this is the only thing I watch/would watch from the 3 original networks. (Some seasons I have watched DWTS, but no one has interested me there for a long time.) So give me a holler if you learn of any good stuff your dad has access to, lol I don't ever seem to see even advertising for the once Big Three's shows.

Turns out my Peacock Premium service is free at my tier unless I want to pay to avoid ads. so that was good to learn.

Also. Comcast has recently done some internal upgrading that might have caused me to become resubscribed to Netflix on its anniversary date, even though I am not currently paying for it, so that got fixed by my human working from home. I'm glad I called.

20. Lindigo

Correction: Belgravia is on EPIX.

Thanks for the heads up on Kelly! With my lack of facial recognition skills, I would totally have missed her if you hadn't told me to look. :)

• Informative Informative x 1