Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Game of Thrones(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Killermolls, May 17, 2012.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Season 5 was the second worst season. The Dorne plot was basically a prelude to what we'd see in Season 8. The actor who was hired to play Doran Martell was the first cast member to speak out against them. He was originally hired for a much deeper and significant role, that went along the lines of Martin's work. But I think that whole plot was too complex for D&D (it's extremely good in the books).

Then we had the abomination that was the demise of Stannis. D&D also never understood that character.

If felt like all of their energy that season went into doing Hardhome, which remains one of my favorite episodes of the season. From everything that I've seen of the behind the scenes on that episode though, it appears that it was Miguel Sapochnik that helped make it so great.

It's amazing that months have passed and the bitterness remains so fresh for fans of the show. D&D will always be remembered for this disaster.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. X-HUNTER

X-HUNTER Well-Known Member

It sure left its mark, bitterness for some and others like me are just indifference. The series is on sky free for the viewing but I do not bother, likewise, I once owned season 1 - 3, but not anymore. Any news on line about GOTs actors or future pre sequel I just continue to scroll. It does not even matter if GRRM decides not release WOT. That is what a bad ending can do to you.

#8162 X-HUNTER, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Stealth

The orginal prequel about the Long Night that no one had any interest in after the finale debacle was canceled. Smart move by HBO because that one was DOA. They're doing one now based on the history of the Targaryens. Martin is directly involved in it which is both good and bad. It's great for the series but terrible for those of us waiting on the novels.

• Like Like x 2
  4. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Too bad Martin’s writing style (not the prose ) isn’t more like his friend Diana Gabaldon. You can google various articles where she’s commented on the fact that while she writes faithfully at every opportunity she has ( in one article she related that when she started writing she had two jobs and three small children so she made use of any spare moment she had....a habit that she continues with) while he gets stuck. He also can’t write when he travels.

He once told her that he killed off a character that he later realized he needed which was creating a problem for him. No details on how long ago that was and if/ how he wrote himself out of that situation, lol, but it sounds to me like it doesn’t take much to throw him off his game. Sucks for us readers who end up adoring what he does manage to get published.

#8164 purriwinkle, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Stealth

It's a real rollercoaster with Martin too. A few months ago I was feeling optimistic about the books when he promised that one convention that Winds would be out by the time of next year's conference. Now with his involvement in the spinoff I have doubts.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stealth

Couple of updates on Game of Thrones stuff.

First, the spinoff based on the Targaryens won't be hitting HBO until 2022. I think this is best. If they were following the success of GOT it'd be a bad decision, but after the disaster they need more time before rolling out another series. By then I think more people will give another show a chance than they would now.

Most importantly though to me, is the recent comment by George R.R. Martin that "People know an ending, but not THE ending." He means that the books will end differently that the TV series. So there is some hope out there, now he just needs to finish the damn books.

• Like Like x 3
  7. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I suspect Martin doesnt know THE ending either. That's why he spends his time on everything but finishing the book series. I believe that because he didnt plot out the story, he took off into too may diverging storylines and has no idea how to tie them up all together in a finishing satisfactory manner. The longer he takes to finish, the better the ending needs to be to avoid savage responses from fans. [ I waited x years for it to finish and THATS the ending!] More reason for him to procrastinate and dabble in other projects because one day he will get it perfect but needs more work but not right now ... will work on it later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Stealth

Also things change when you write. Whatever you planned at the start isn't necessarily the destination at the completion. The characters and events can take you different places.

I believe it was difficult for him to complete the story when he was watching it play out on TV. Writers normally see their work hit the screen after it's completed. So it's a weird dynamic for him.

I never bought into the whole "we saw the ending, but it was just badly done by D&D and now Martin will fill in the blanks to have it make sense." Not many people would be excited about reading that. I'd finish it all because I'm invested in the novels, but Martin is going to want to shock the reader with twists and turns the same way we were with Ned's death and the Red Wedding. He'll want to go out with a bang.

There are also key elements in the books that are so different right now. Stannis is still alive, Euron is not something out of Pirates of the Caribbean, but one of the more dangerous people in ASOIAF. There is another potential Targaryen in the mix too. We don't know whether he's actually one yet though, but he's landed in Westeros with the Golden Company. Dorne is very significant and extremely formidable. And then of course there is Lady Stoneheart.

Any one of the above elements can alter the story dramatically, let alone a combination of a few of them.

I just hope he gets Winds of Winter out by the summer as he promised so that some questions can be answered, and we can finally turn the page from the horrendous TV ending.

So

• Like Like x 2
  9. purriwinkle

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Stealth

That's great. It actually made me laugh. What's funny is that Martin said Winds would be ready by this summer, which means it should be done by now and going to editing to be out then. So maybe now we'll actually get close to that deadline.

11. purriwinkle

Well, I guess it took a pandemic and forced isolation to get him to start seriously writing again. Let’s hope we all live to read it. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Stealth

Maybe he'll pick up the pace now from one paragrpah per day, to two.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Stealth

Speaking of Martin, it's been interesting for me to follow his reaction to the pandemic. If you've never checked out his blog before, here it is.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Given that I have a little more spare time on my hands, I decided to re-watch GoT again.

I want to say that this is my first re-watch of the entire series since the series has concluded.

It's interesting how this time I've manged to catch and pay attention to much more information than I've been able to capture during my initial viewings of an episode or the series.

For example: I didn't know that Beric Dondarrion was the same guy that Ned Stark commanded to hunt down The Mountain in Season One. He looks entirely different. lol

The Waif was never mentioned by name on the show (only in the books).... as far as I know.

I also found more humor in the show this time around. There's actually a lot of really funny moments. Like, Cersei was REALLY looking forward to seeing elephants on the battlefield. She was obsessed with them. She has sex with Euron Greyjoy and then you see her muttering about her disappointment about not getting the elephants. Now that's comedy!

Still very disappointed with Seasons 7 and 8 for the most part, but I'm glad I re-watched the entire series. I really hope someone else does a reboot sometime in the not-too-distant future, and they do it better, and I'm alive to watch it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stealth

This Sunday marks the year anniversary of the Game of Thrones finale, the final death blow, to the TV series. There are a few articles out there now about how GOT fans still haven't gotten over it.

Martin claims that he's using his quarantine time to complete "Winds of Winter," but then prior to the pandemic he said it'd be ready by July. Hard to tell where the novel stands right now. But it'd be great to have it out by the end of the year. That's more of a wish though, then any real hope.

• Like Like x 1
  16. X-HUNTER

Yes, I am still disappointed about that fiasco called GOTs season 8. The past year I have sold all GOTs DVDs, but still holding on to the books. The series is there for me to look at on SKY, but the series has left me sour, so I do not bother. As for The Winds of Winter, I am at the point whether he finishes it or not, it does not matter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. X-HUNTER

Also, Martin is at an advantage after seeing the reaction of so many dissatisfied fans of his unfinished work on screen. He now has the power to do whatever he wants.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stealth

I'm still interested in Winds of Winter, but I'm done with the TV side of things too. Even the best episodes have no rewatch value for me after the final season disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stealth

The way Martin writes though he doesn't outline and goes where the characters lead him. So overall I would've expected something different even if the series had ended well.

20. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten over it. When I started watching it it was *such* good t.v., and then by the ending? I can't believe how angry that show made me, and still does. Cersei blowing up her own city? The "breaker of chains" and savior of the poor decides to burn down as much of King's Landing as she can, killing untold civilians for no discernible reason? After all the hype of "saving Bran" for seasons and helping him fulfill his quest, he does... nothing? And is made king after doing nothing and showing no leadership *at all* during the entire series? LOL, not to mention Sansa's jaw dropper of saying, "you know, in hindsight I'm glad Remly raped and abused me repeatedly, it made me grow as a person"??????????

Honest to Pete I don't know how or why they took such a good show and squashed it so hard, but they did. They deserve to have people be angry at them.

• Agree Agree x 1