Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Reality Z

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Neuropyramidal, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

This 10 episode zombie series came out today on Netflix and is a Brazilian remake of Britain's Dead Set from 2008. It centers around a bunch of people on a reality television set during a zombie outbreak. Dead Set wasn't a great zombie show, but I enjoyed it. It didn't take itself too seriously, and it was a nice mixture of horror and satire and social commentary. After watching the first episode just now, I can say that I have no idea whatsoever why this remake exists. It adds absolutely nothing to the original, and actually subtracts quite a bit [memorable characters, social commentary]. Dead Set had some somewhat memorable characters. I just finished this show's first episode 20 minutes ago and I already feel like I'm forgetting them.

There were a couple small differences compared to Dead Set's first episode, but the majority of the scenes played out so closely to Dead Set that its almost like someone with a lower budget than Dead Set found the script in a drawer and decided to just copy it word for word, but leave out the interesting parts. The dialogue at times was exactly the same as in Dead Set, right down to details like someone being angry that Ketchup was added to a recipe, and 2 people getting in a prolonged argument over an egg at breakfast.

It has apparently branded itself as a comedy, but there is no comedy whatsoever here. No satire. No slap stick. No attempt at humor. It seems like a show that marketed itself as a comedy so no one will complain when its horrible. In Dead Set there was a scene where an egotistical prick runs past a man in a wheelchair and says "get out of the way", leaving the man to die. It left you wondering how many people in real life would do that in a panic. It made me think, would I do it? If 5 FAST zombies were only a few steps behind me, would I run right past that man without much thought? In this version, the scene was absurd and involved the man actually going a couple steps out of his way go grab the guy in the wheelchair pull him between himself and the zombies, and say "here, eat him!! Eat him!". The only thing it left me wondering is how the director didn't realize the absurdity.

Anyway, if you're looking for a bit of a zombie fix before the S10 finale, check out Dead Set, which is also on Netflix, and skip this watered down remake of it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Just remember Neuro. 99% of the zombie genre is pure crap. I still remember watching that one low budget zombie movie (can't remember the name of it) and the zombie cheerleader came chasing after the people with pom pom's still in hand. And technically if you label yourself as a comedy you can pretty much do anything outlandish that you want as everyone has a different kind of humor that they like.

3. Goggles Pizano

Thanks for the review. I had read one of the ubiquitous “shows to watch on Netflix” articles and this series was mentioned. Sounds like it over promises and under delivers. (Like many things.... lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Goggles Pizano

It doesn’t have to be. I often feel that that general sentiment becomes a crutch or excuse for poor writing. “Well what do you expect, it’s only a zombie show.” You never hear.........what do you expect it’s only a:
    Science fiction
    Fantasy
    Historical romance
    Buddy film
    Detective show
    Etc.

Look at The Walking Dead. Viewership was huge and it was one of the most successful shows on tv. with strong characters and storylines. As plots became repetitive and/or stupidity based and character personalities/motivations switched often, viewership fell.

I don’t know if you watch TWD but this is a show, that in my opinion, has some of the best characters in ANY series on tv or Netflix/Amazon. (Michonne, Ezekiel, Carol, Daryl, Negan etc) There’s no reason there can’t be compelling storylines around these characters and in this ‘fantasy world” that are exciting and eminently watchable. When they are wasted with poor writing, “well it’s a zombie show and zombie shows are 99% crap” is just an excuse that nobody and I mean NOBODY gave to Game of Thrones, Outlander, the 100 etc when their writing shit the bed.

5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Some of it is fun though, and good escapism. I enjoyed that one series Netflix ran, Black Summer. There were a number of problems with it, but it was still enjoyable enough to watch. I hear they're going to have a second season.

6. Benjamin Cella

Benjamin Cella New Member

Hello everyone,

I build diorama for fun. I would like to share with you my last work about the walking dead. More exactly on an epic scene when Rick wakes up at the hospital.

I would be very happy to get your opinions, feedbacks and any remarks on this work.

Also, if you guys have any ideas of scenes/diorama you would like me to build, I'd be happy to hear.

Thanks to all
    Regards
    Benjamin Cella

[​IMG]