Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lindigo, May 16, 2018.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I was at work today and snatched up the People Magazine with Harry and Meghan on the cover. I thought the article was excellent and offered a lot of insights.

[​IMG]

One was that the Queen wasn’t upset because her grandson wanted to leave, they had already been talking about it but she had asked that things be kept private probably till all the details were worked out. When it got leaked, H&M went ahead and prematurely made their announcement with the Queen being given the statement shortly before the press. Apparently the Queen doesn’t like being surprised, lol

The story had a lot of information and yes, People Magazine does have it’s place in the grand scheme of things.:rolleyes:

#321 purriwinkle, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

The media had a lot of negative things to say about Kate at first as well. Waity Katie they liked to call her. So it wasn't always roses for her. The media also played that game with Diana and Fergie. They were friends first and the media destroyed that relationship by pitting them against each other.

#322 southernlady, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Fascinating.

4. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I still say good for Harry to refuse to play along with it. He put his wife and child first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. PepperAnn

This This So So THIS.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember that. A couple of days ago I said that the royals were damaged people. But some of that damage is caused by the media. They've played a big part in some of the pain and misery that the royals have been though.

The media can be so nasty to people with fame. If a famous person is doing something horrible or even mildly stupid (like Michael Jackson dangling an infant off of a balcony) then yeah, have at it. But the nonstop intrusions and photos and zero privacy.... it's madness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. southernlady

The media report half truths most of the time - turmoil sells I suppose. In this particular case, the negative press from her evil step sister and her loving father did not help. About now the only royal happy about all of this is Andrew.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

You mean, the alleged pedophile who isn't able to sweat because of PTSD or whatever BS he claimed? lmao

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. southernlady

That's the one!!

10. PepperAnn

He's all PHEW......they aren't side-eyeing me anymore. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That guy is such a turd. He's a good example of when it's okay for the media to do a full court press.

Of course he's happy about this turmoil with H&M.... it gets him out of the spotlight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. southernlady

Right?! Just slithered away into a corner!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. southernlady

Maybe when the wheel turns and the Epstein case picks up again the media will leave Harry and Meghan alone. I mean, to be honest they haven't really hurt anyone unlike others.

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

No, you're right, it's not "her fault" and that was a very poor choice of words on my part. She most definitely should be allowed to have her family and her privacy be respected the way she wants. However... being a public person has a downside, and this is it. When she married in to royalty, she *knew* there would be exposure and photographers following her around in a way that the cashier at Dairy Queen doesn't have to consider, and that would never, ever, go away.

I guess I'd just expect her to have a bit thicker skin for this type of thing considering the perks her status gives her in return for the lack of privacy she must endure.

15. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. purriwinkle

I read about how they had to cancel their plans for a big wedding due to the pandemic. I’m delighted they decided to go ahead with a small private affair rather than wait until they could have a more lavish ceremony. It looks like the Queen went out of her way to make Beatrice’s day extra special by giving her that beautiful dress and tiara to wear. Granny came through!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. southernlady

Who is going to watch the Oprah interview Sunday night? I feel like I'm watching a train wreck and am unable to turn away :(

18. purriwinkle

Well, I missed the very beginning but I caught most of it. I thought it had some eye opening nuggets however I can’t entirely pretend to understand what they were going through. On one level I think I could have withstood some of the onslaughts but I would have drawn the line when it came to the “firm” withdrawing security from my family. In the end it boils down to the fact that every family has their issues no matter your income, social status or even if you’re a prince and princess.

19. southernlady

I did watch it all. I simply cannot imagine living in an environment where your every move is controlled. Especially when you are an independent woman that is used to making your own decisions. And I can understand where Meghan was coming from when she said the institution would not protect her from the press, yet they protected other members of the family. They do seem to have gone to some lengths where Andrew is concerned with the press.

I was disturbed when they said that there were discussions/concerns on how dark Archie's skin would be. For some reason William jumped into my mind last night when Meghan said this and that they would not name the person because it could damage "him". Which could explain the rift between Harry and William. Just a guess....

Harry has since said it was not the Queen or Prince Philip that voiced that concern.

#339 southernlady, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. purriwinkle

I do agree there had to be an element of culture shock when Megan joined the family that might have been bewildering however I wonder if she ever just said, for instance, well if I can’t go out, I’ll invite my friends in for “tea” on a regular basis?

Thinking outside the box might have been the answer but then I wasn’t living it so I’m sure I don’t really understand how things work in royal circles. It’s tough to be isolated as the pandemic has taught us. Then add to it that no one in the family seemed to be sticking up for you had to be hard.

I can’t imagine why William would say those things about Archie, I mean so what? Why would it matter what color the child’s skin tone was. His children are securely in line to the throne and it would show a progressive attitude that would be refreshing and perhaps put a muzzle on the various critics not to mention standing in solidarity with his brother. However, who knows what goes on behind closed doors, right? I did read that William was against Harry marrying Meghan. Maybe there’s still some fallout from that.

If I had to venture a guess, I’d go with Charles and/or Camilla first cause they just seem the type, lol. Charles is already butt sore that he’s had to wait this long for the crown. Why? What does his mother see in him that she continues to rule at her age?