Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Odd or interesting words

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Morgotha, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I've been meaning for awhile to start a thread on unusual words that I hear or read, and finally decided to do so. This first word is "Latinx". It is an artificial gender-neutral term for Latino or Latina, and we may see a lot of it in our sensitive age. It's pronounced like it looks, "lah tin ecks" As an example of usage:

"Black, Indigenous and Latinx communities"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/d...c-on-black-communities/ar-BB17kWcP?li=BBnb7Kz

2. Morgotha

3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I just heard this yesterday afternoon. Maybe I did before but I didn't perk my ear to it. I find it really strange. Why not just Latinos? Even the feminine word is too politically correct for me. Come on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Morgotha

I have no problem at all using "Latinos" for a group of men or in general for a mixed or unknown group, and "Latinas" for a group of women, but apparently some people (likely white, IMO) find that offensive. The thing is in Spanish nouns are generally masculine or feminine and use different articles (el or la) because of it, so it seems natural to use gender for Latino/a. LOL, one could say it's culturally INsensitive and cultural appropriation to try and remove the gender from the term!

I suppose I'll get used to it if I hear it enough, but it rings hollow like when people tried saying "waitron" instead of waitress or waiter.

OTOH, firefighter and Congressperson have been normalized, so maybe it'll take off, who knows?

5. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I personally find all of these new word adaptations to accommodate these multiple genders to be off-putting. Not because I'm transphobic either. I just think adding a "X" to the end of a group name is sloppy and pointless.

We can substitute the word "person" at the end of virtually any word (Like what Mo is saying) and it accomplishes the same result of being gender neutral.... or whatever the "hip cats" are calling it now days.

For example, instead of Latinx (which sounds more like a brand of Kleenex, but for Latin people) why not just say "Latin people"? Case closed. Save your applause. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Morgotha

That makes sense to me. Actually, it makes *too much* sense...

• Like Like x 1
  7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Jerry Nadler has been saying Congresslady.....it makes me laugh.

8. Morgotha

That is strange. Congresswoman, fine. Congresslady? Odd. Of course, Nadler is a pretty odd person.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I've not heard that.... Probably because I put my TV on mute whenever he starts to talk. lololololol

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. johnnyy

johnnyy New Member

English is my second language and I'm still learning it. Recently I found two interesting words: Accismus and Cacophony. I try to read to improve my English plus I found college essay writing service at https://essayshark.com/ that can do your math homework and help with grammar check and proofreading. I think such services are great option for foreign students.

#10 johnnyy, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2023