Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Death of AMC movies aka the death of Rick Grimes?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Virginia Blake, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Virginia Blake

So now whsat aobut the Rick ,movies? Perhaps he'll have to return to tV show with Michonne. And things could grt too crowded on the set for Negan. His storyline has about had it anyway

2. Virginia Blake

So now will Rick & Michonne return to tWD. If so the set is gonna get mighty crowded. Negan'sstoryline has run out anyway, He needs to go.

• [​IMG]

3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

No. At best these two will only come back to the show for a cameo appearance. I think these Walking Dead movies have been dead in the water for a while regardless of rather the biggest theater chain closed down or not.

I bet you what we will see is that Rick and Michonne will come back for a cameo appearance either in the last episode of the series or towards the end of the final season.

4. lastcat3

I think the Rick movies have been dead for a while now. He'll probably go back to the show for a cameo appearance in the final season.

5. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

AMC (theaters) = American Multi-Cinema
    AMC (network/channel) = American Movie Classics

They are not related, as far as I know.

6. lastcat3

I think the OP is implying that if AMC theaters are closing down than that would make it even less likely that they would release a Walking Dead movie. I think the OP knew they weren't the same entity. If they were the same entity than that would have meant the end of anything Walking Dead.

Also it isn't official yet that AMC theaters are closing down. They just released a statement yesterday saying it may be difficult for them to stay open.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Virginia Blake

Well what do you know. One of the few fans that will even dare disucss it. Thanks.

8. Virginia Blake

Another fan said pretty much the same thing. There is no vehice foir the Rick Grimes movies now.or any theatre stylke movies period

9. lastcat3

The only time there would be a vehicle for a tv series that has lost about 70% of its viewership over the past three or four seasons to go to theaters was if that tv series was still getting 10m viewers an episode after it had lost 70% of its viewers.

I think the idea for having Rick movies in the first place was simply to try to keep Andrew Lincoln involved in the franchise. Also the planning for these movies mostly would have taken place during season 8 when the show was still getting a lot more viewership than it is now. When the viewership continued to decline even when the fans seemed to start enjoying the show more I think is when the idea for Walking Dead movies started getting put on the backburner.

In order to get Andrew Lincoln or Danai Gurira to go back to the show on any regular basis they would probably have to pay them movie level salaries. And honestly you can't blame them at all. Lincoln gave a decade to the show and Gurira gave a good eight seasons to the show (that in of itself is longer than most shows last). This is why you generally see most successful shows choose to end on their own so what we are currently seeing happen to TWD doesn't happen to them. Actors starting to want to leave and people in general just getting tired of it.

10. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

I think by "movies" it may not have to be a feature released in the theaters. They can still shoot Rick movies as 2 hours long episodes to be aired on special schedules.

For example, the "six extra episodes" for S10 that they announced could have been easily packaged and promoted as three standalone movies.

So I think if there are going to be any Rick movies it will be more like 2 hour long (including commercials) special episodes.

To me they have beaten this thing to death with so many spin off shows there is a viewing fatigue here. The zombies have taken a back seat in the story line, they have been mostly a background threat. It would have been more interesting to me if their story involves some news about the zombies - someone might know what caused it, some place where they are still experimenting and dissecting their brains, the zombies evolving somehow, or they figured a way to cure after having been bit by a walker (besides amputation I mean) etc...

#10 Miamicuse, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  11. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Exactly. The new teen-oriented series will not help at all. The only way they could have saved this is by making it horror again. They had a chance to get people to talk about TWD with the final episode, but they chose to have 100 000 corpses making no casulaties and getting beaten by a 15 y/o (I don't know how old Lydia is supposed to be).

• Like Like x 2
  12. Oshawott

Oshawott New Member

The movie(s) was always a bad idea. Even back in season 9 when the ratings were still respectable, it seemed extremely asinine for AMC to believe that people would flock to theaters to watch a movie about Rick without the other characters around (except Jadis/Anne who almost nobody likes, anyway). Now with COVID in the mix, they'd pretty much have to make the Rick movie into a television or streaming platform exclusive, which I don't think would justify filming the movie in the first place since it would just be a longer version of a regular TWD episode.