Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

R.I.P. -- The Obit Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by westwingnut, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Ted Thompson

*Packer fans will know

The truth is out there

2. Sharpie61

3. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

When I was probably 7 or 8 years old, I was at my grandparents’ house on summer Monday night and there was a baseball game on TV. There wasn’t much baseball on network TV during those days, just the Saturday Game of the Week and for a while Monday Night Baseball. Hopkinsville was about equally distant from St. Louis, Cincinnati and Atlanta, so there were local stations that may carry a Cardinals, Reds, or Braves game on Sunday. That was it. The thought of actually being able to see one live, well, that thought didn’t even cross my mind. At my age then, I really didn’t even care about sports.

That night changed it for me. The Atlanta Braves were playing the Astros, I think. A player hit a home run, the bases were loaded when he did it and they called it a Grand Slam. I remember asking my uncle what that meant and thinking the name was pretty neat. I became a baseball fan at that moment, a Braves fan in particular, for the rest of my life, at least until recently when the sheer number of games on TV and the changes in the game have rendered it too boring to hold my interest. But for about 40 years I was a Braves fan. I was all about baseball, playing Little League, baseball cards. Anything.

The man that hit that home run was Henry Aaron. I didn’t know much of anything about him, but he became my favorite player. I remember picking up a book at the school library that was a few years out of date and it had him listed as one of the best players ever, I didn’t realize it before. It said he had hit 400 something home runs. Later that year, someone said he had hit his 600th home run, one of only 3 men that had done it. Obviously my book was out of date. He hit almost 50 homers that year, back when that number meant more. They were saying he might pass Babe Ruth in a couple of years, but he was almost 40 and was still 75 behind.

He hit 74 home runs in the next two years.

The next year started and the countdown was on. He hit the tying home run one afternoon and it wasn’t on TV live, at least where I lived. Maybe I was in school. I don’t remember if they started showing every game then or if it just happened to be a Monday night, but he hit the record breaker on national TV. Most baseball fans are familiar with the clip. He is rounding the bases as humbly. He was always humble. Two guys run out of the bleachers and pat him on the back. I was as thrilled as I have ever been about anything sports related in my life.

Later I read about all the things he went through leading up to the record. Death threats, name calling, any racist thing you can imagine. He finished his career a couple of years later and his record stood until steroids broke it.

He is still the biggest hero I have had in sports. I don’t even hold being a Braves fan for all those losing years that followed against him.

RIP Hammerin’ Hank.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Sharpie61

5. Sharpie61

6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I was just coming to post that. Sad.

7. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

So is Sharpie the official grim reaper of this site? Just asking. Lol

8. Sharpie61

Yes. I seek out the dead

The truth is out there

9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Sounds. like. fun.

[​IMG]

10. Sharpie61

Hey, I was able to trace one family line back to Edward 1. He’s the king who had Mel Gibson killed in Braveheart.
    Searching for dead people gives great stories to pass on to future generations.

The truth is out there

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Sharpie61

13. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

That is so sad. I remember watching her from the Mary Tyler Moore days, Grandma Ida in Malcolm, and of course her famous portrayal of Frau Blucher *horse neighs* lol.

When she showed up in season one of American Gods a few yrs. back I was surprised to see she was still acting but her performance was spot on as always.

She lived a good long life and may she RIP.

14. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

15. purriwinkle

Actress Cicely Tyson has died at age 96.

Her filmography includes some of the most celebrated movies and television shows featuring Black women in major roles: "Sounder" (1972), "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman" (1974), "Roots" (1977), "The Marva Collins Story" (1981), "The Women of Brewster Place" (1989), and "The Help" (2011).

[​IMG]

16. Sharpie61

Just saw that. My English literature class in 10th grade liked to show movies, after reading the book. Sounder was one of them.

R.I.P. Cecily

The truth is out there

17. tink

tink Well-Known Member

18. purriwinkle

• Like Like x 1
  19. purriwinkle

Actor Hal Holbrook has died at age 95. RIP

[​IMG]

20. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

I remember him in Creepshow. He was married to Adrienne Barbeau if memory serves.