Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

To The Lake

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Neuropyramidal, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

This is a new Russian show on Netflix. Its a zombie-less viral outbreak. For the most part you follow 2 families who are making a 1000 mile trek to get to a very remote spot on a lake while the chaos from the virus unfolds. It doesn't take itself too seriously in some episodes, so you can't go into it nitpicking the details too much. There is illogic. And there are a couple of pretty annoying characters, such as a 9 year old who keeps causing trouble by either throwing tantrums or not doing as he's told. There's also a side story about a socially awkward doctor who doesn't know how to drive. He and his uncle are also making their way along the roads trying to find a particular hospital. There's also a smaller side story about a group of what appear to be alcoholics and misfits, led by another doctor, who try taking a stand against the gov't. Not a great show by any means, but season one helped me kill about 8 hours over the past weeknights. It's at least worth a try. The first half of episode one deals almost exclusively with pre-virus character development, so get through that and it speeds up a bit. Zombie-less, as I said, but at times the sick people start to act erratic and aggressive in the later stages of their illness.

#1 Neuropyramidal, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

This kind of sounds like the movie The Crazies from 2010.

The truth is out there

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

A little, but there is very little focus on the sick people. Just one or two scenes here or there. The focus is mostly on dealing with other healthy survivors, including the military, which seems to have gone rogue to a degree.

#3 Neuropyramidal, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Looks like it's worth checking out. Could use a fresh distraction from all the other insanity going on.

5. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

I enjoyed it - it's a tad formulaic, but the novelty of seeing familiar scenarios play out with a Russian flavour more than makes up for that.

6. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

I'll have to add this one to my list!

7. Stealth

I've seen the first 6 episodes now. It's decent. The secondary characters like Misha and Polina are the most interesting to me. Sergei is annoying and so is his stupid young son.

8. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

I finished the whole thing with the dubbed dialogue. I didn’t realize that i had subtitles turned off. The dad and older son are much better actors than the translators suggest. Ill probably watch again with their voices. The dubs weren’t great. The little one reminded me of an early Carl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Stealth

The translation wasn't as well done as the one they had for Dark. But it's not getting in the way of the story for me.

I just find Sergei's actions annoying. It's more the character than the acting.

10. DeadZedHead

Ya, He doesn’t take any responsibility for his actions and kind gets mad at both wives for his choices. I think its cultural because side characters keep making a big deal about them being a blended family. Like its not common. I really think they are trying to paint this as a difficult situation for HIM as opposed to THEM. Poor guy has to deal with TWO bitchy wives not just one. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Stealth

Yeah, that might be it. Then you have the whole deal where he goes back with the ex-wife while the current one was is presumably dying. Then she recovers.

What makes it even more bizarre is that he previously put the whole group at risk with the infected wife, and was even upset when they wanted to divide the house. Yes, everyone wants to be infected pal.

He's like Lori from TWD. Every choice he makes you become ambivalent toward.

12. DeadZedHead

Right. Im sure some it is for artificial tension. Cant have everyone getting along. I just love that no matter what decision he makes, someone always blows him off and it backfires.

13. Stealth

I've seen all the episodes now. I was letdown by them injecting the element of the Chinese into the story in the final episode. So now it appears that instead of a post-apocalyptic plague drama they're going to pivot into some sort of invastion or war.

I liked how they had the double wedding scene. I'd prefer at this point to just follow that group instead of the Sergei mess.

I'll watch a second season, but not excited about the direction they appear to be going.