Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

It sounds like White Sands Missile range is launching missiles over commercial airspace:eek::eek::eek:! What kind of idiocy is that? Or, it could have been a UFO.

"
    An American Airlines passenger jet traveling from Cincinnati to Phoenix encountered a UFO over northeastern New Mexico Sunday afternoon.

The pilot on flight 2292 radioed around 1:00 p.m. CST that the UFO was flying right on top of them, according to a radio transmission recorded by Steve Douglass on his blog, Deep Black Horizon. American Airlines verified to Fox News that the transmission is from flight 2292.

"Do you have any targets up here? We just had something go right over the top of us," the pilot said in the radio transmission.

"I hate to say this but it looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing moving really fast. It went right over the top of us.""

https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-airlines-not-denying-ufo-spotting-says-talk-to-the-fbi

2. Morgotha

If I had an extra 6 million I would totally buy this house! The Magna Carta was signed here in a.d. 1215, why it's even up for sale and not a national property is beyond me, but someone should buy it to make sure it is preserved and not "renovated" by someone trying to make a "statement".

Plus, you know the house has been around for the last 900 years or so, it's not likely to fall down tomorrow! And what an estate it must have been when new!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-es...e-king-john-signed-magna-carta-is-up-for-sale

3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

The FBI is now investigating.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  4. Morgotha

They should be. That sounds like an out of control missile or someone really not doing their homework to me.

5. Morgotha

6. Morgotha

New photos have come in from Mars!

In all of human history we are the first people to see this, this way, even with a view of the sun coming over the crater wall. Definitely watch after expanding to full screen, you feel like you could just step out there! And as a corollary "we built this" lander! For all the stuff that happens, we can do great things!:):):)

BTW. it's a panorama view, so you can click and hold to "grab" the image and rotate it 360 degrees.

A really neat video on the mars helicopter from a guy interviewing staff at JPL. One amazing thing? Only 1/3 of the energy generated from its solar cells can be used for flight, the other 2/3 is used to keep the electronics, etc. warm enough in the -80 to -100 degree nights! And the "air" on Mars is so thin the blades have to spin at 2400 rpm to lift the unit, compared with a helicopter on earth that spins around 500 rpm.

#5706 Morgotha, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  7. Morgotha

Dr. Seuss is a racist now, apparently. Even though he wasn't.

"By way of background, Dr. Seuss has our attention today because the Loudon County Public Schools, which spend over $1 billion annually to educate more than 80,000 students in northern Virginia, has canceled its annual celebration of the beloved author’s birthday. They did that, according to the school’s spokesman, because "Research in recent years has revealed strong racial undertones in many books written/illustrated by Dr. Seuss."
    This year, the Loudon County schools folded, persuaded by a 2019 study that analyzed 50 books and more than 2,200 characters created by Dr. Seuss and concluded that "of the 2,240 (identified) human characters, there are 45 characters of color representing 2% of the total number of human characters." The Washington Post’s Valerie Strauss reports that, "Of the 45 characters, 43 exhibited behaviors and appearances that align with harmful and stereotypical Orientalist tropes."

Chalk up another victory to the "racism is everywhere" crowd. The Loudon County schools, where 88% of last year’s graduating students went on to college and only 7% are black, haven’t yet banned Seuss’ much-loved books. But, it is clear that unless parents speak out against this idiocy, "Sam I Am" will soon become "Sam I Am No More."

As is often the case, the perpetrators of this nonsense appear ignorant of the facts. Theodor Seuss Geisel, who wrote under the pen name Dr. Seuss, was an ardent liberal who supported FDR and passionately spoke out against fascism. His work includes books that embrace environmentalism ("The Lorax") and racial equality ("The Sneetches"). To conclude that Seuss was a closet racist is preposterous. "

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/cpac-cancel-culture-attacks-dr-seuss-liz-peek

8. Morgotha

The Texas power situation is a real mess. Companies that couldn't provide power are now being billed by the state for not doing so, and the first of the companies has filed for bankruptcy as a result. I'm all for accountability, but maybe the state might just want to chalk this up as an "act of God" and let this slide. We'll see.

"
    HOUSTON - Texas’s largest and oldest electric power cooperative on Monday filed for bankruptcy protection in federal court in Houston, citing a disputed $1.8 billion bill from the state’s grid operator.

Brazos Electric Power Cooperative Inc is one of dozens of electricity providers facing enormous charges stemming from a severe cold snap last month. The fallout threatens utilities and power marketers who collectively face billions of dollars in blackout-related charges, executives said.

Unusually frigid temperatures knocked out nearly half of the state’s power plants in mid-February, leaving 4.3 million people without heat or light for days and bursting water pipes that damaged homes and businesses. Brazos and others that committed to provide power to the grid and could not, were required to buy replacement power at high rates and cover other firms’ unpaid fees.

The state’s grid operator, Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), on Friday said $2.1 billion in initial bills went unpaid, underscoring the financial stress on utilities and power marketers. More providers likely will reject the bills in coming days, executives said."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/...r-cooperative-inc-files-for-bankruptcy-report

9. Morgotha

Talk about someone with an ego that needs a wake up call! It's unbelievable this guy could be so self centered and have such little regard for his patients' well being.:(:(

"
    The Medical Board of California said it would investigate a plastic surgeon who appeared in a videoconference for his traffic violation trial while operating.

The Sacramento Bee reports Dr. Scott Green appeared Thursday for his Sacramento Superior Court trial, held virtually because of the coronavirus pandemic, from an operating room. He was dressed in surgical scrubs with a patient undergoing the procedure just out of view; the beeps of medical machinery can be heard in the background.

"Hello, Mr. Green? Hi. Are you available for trial?" asked a courtroom clerk as an officer summoned to appear in trial raised her eyebrows. "It kind of looks like you’re in an operating room right now?"

"I am, sir," Green replied. "Yes, I’m in an operating room right now. Yes, I’m available for trial. Go right ahead."

The clerk reminded Green the proceedings were being livestreamed because traffic trials are required by law to be open to the public, and Green said he understood. He appeared to continue working with his head down while waiting for Court Commissioner Gary Link to enter the chamber.

When Link appeared and saw the doctor on the screen, the judge hesitated to proceed with the trial out of concern for the welfare of the patient."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/doctor-appears-in-court-video-call-while-performing-surgery

10. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Are these the same power companies that told their customers too bad, pay me, when they got their massive electric bills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Morgotha

It doesn't look like they had much of a choice in the matter, does it? The government asked them for money they don't have, so they passed the bill to their customers. If they didn't, they'd be bankrupt.

Unfortunately for them, their customers don't have the money or inclination to pay their bill either so now the utility is bankrupt.

12. Morgotha

So they're still going after Dr. Seuss, and have convinced his publishers to quit publishing 6 of his books. I really find that troubling. LOL, of course, I suppose it's ALSO troubling if a high school is using Dr. Seuss books to teach reading to its students, but that's a whole other thing.

Also, below is a link to the text from "Mulberry St." To me it seems like a lighthearted Dr. Seuss paced story. I can't believe people have so much free time they get excited over things like this. Maybe if we banned teachers unions and started firing teachers when their students weren't performing at acceptable levels they'd have less free time to worry about books written 90 years ago.

"
    The sales of six Dr. Seuss books will cease over racist and insensitive imagery, according to the business that preserves and protects the author's legacy.

The news comes Tuesday on National Read Across America Day, when schools across the U.S. celebrate reading on Dr. Seuss's March 2 birthday to commemorate the popular children's author, who died in 1991.

"These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong," Dr. Seuss Enterprises told The Associated Press in a statement.

"Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ catalog represents and supports all communities and families," the statement continued.

Copies of "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street," "If I Ran the Zoo," "McElligot's Pool," "On Beyond Zebra!," "Scrambled Eggs Super!," and "The Cat's Quizzer" will no longer be published."

https://mrshenson.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/mullberry-street.pdf

#5712 Morgotha, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  13. Morgotha

From the "you can't win for losing" dept.: The streaming platform Twitch tried to be more inclusive by changing "women" to "womxn" to appease some group or other. This, however, incensed the trans- community who felt they were being told they were NOT real women.o_O You can't please everybody.

"
    Streaming platform Twitch has backtracked on a new policy to change its spelling of "women" after criticism from transgender communities.

The company had said it would use the term "womxn" in order to be more gender neutral in its language.

But LGBT communities online called the change transphobic because it suggested trans women were not women.

"We're committed to growing from these experiences... and ensuring we're inclusive to all," the company tweeted.

"Womxn" has become a popular alternative word for people who say that the term "women" has patriarchal roots. Some believe the term is inclusive of trans women and some non-binary people, but that is contested."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56251452

14. DeadZedHead

Perfect example of vocal minority. Got them twice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DeadZedHead

I have I ran the zoo and i think i have mulberry. I remember when reading to my son thinking while not acceptable today, they dont appear to intentionally disrespect Asians, just use outdated depictions. Also, i thought Oriental was an outdated term. “Oriental is a rug not a people”. I think more high schoolers should read Dr Sues. It teaches sounding out unfamiliar words phonetically and contextual comprehension. Thats part of why parents enjoyed reading them as much as their children.

16. Morgotha

I'd agree it's outdated, but so what? He was born in 1909, HE is outdated! They're still good books.

If some group wanted to be angry over his books it should be white people, after all, look at some of the depictions of them.

I don't have any problem with high schoolers reading Dr. Seuss for enjoyment or hearing the rhythmic nature of his prose, BUT, if a high schooler is reading Dr. Seuss to *learn new words*??? Unless they are an ESL student, their education is sorely lacking. "Hop on Pop" isn't supposed to be a high school textbook!

17. Morgotha

A tragedy in Ca. today as an "suv" with 27 people in hit hit a gravel truck. At least 15 people are dead. How do you get 27 people in an suv? Either this was really a bus of some sort, or those people were crowded in like sardines. In any event a prayer for their families after this horrible accident.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/imperial-california-crash/index.html

18. DeadZedHead

Ya his book are a product of their time. I didn’t mean using his books to increase vocabulary. What i meant was that we will encounter new words our entire life. Determining the meaning of new words based on context is a life long skill. Sounding words out as opposed to blurting something based on the first three letters will never stop being useful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Good. I read Horton hears a Who as part of an assignment in a public speaking class I took in high school.

I read Dr. Seuss books to my daughter when she was little but I seemed to have missed the six that are not going to be published any longer. I really can’t imagine anything Seuss wrote to be that offensive but then again, I loved Gone With the Wind. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  20. DeadZedHead

Growing up, all 9 of us fit in a VW beetle.

• Funny Funny x 1