Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Live React thread...

Discussion in 'Episode 1017 - Home Sweet Home' started by VenomGA, Feb 28, 2021.

1. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

night, it was good to chat with you again

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I thought it was a pretty good episode. They did well with the covidalyptic restrictions. I was glad they brushed up against but didn't collide with the Maggie/Negan tension yet. The brief foreshadowing in this episode felt right. They re-introduced Maggie with some dialogue that managed not to fall victim to the cyclic chees-o-speak that has plagued FTWD for the last few years. When I heard they were introducing a new villain so quickly it worried me, but they also managed to pull that off so far. We will see how that unfolds. Overall, not an earth shattering episode by any means, but it stood on its own for what it was, especially given filming constraints. As an aside, I'll have to check closer on the my second watch, but I feel like that could have been Orange Backpack Daryl was wearing. And nice to see ya, Barbara.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I feel like they should have delayed filming two or three more months until studios had a better game plan on how to film during covid. I believe they filmed these not long after covid hit and you can honestly really tell.

There are a lot of cuts and it's very apparent that the actors weren't filming the scenes at the same time in many instances. Plus there are quite a few situations where characters are keeping an odd amount of distance from one another.

If they would have waited a bit longer to film when testing became more widespread a lot of that could have been avoided.

4. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I honestly didn’t even think about the pandemic whilst I was watching, I thought the episode was beautifully done, restrictions or not. I couldn’t tell. When it mattered, people were close. The Daryl/Maggie dialogues at the heart of the episode, golden writing and acting!

Maggie has come back with so many more layers, such depth to her character now, all the pain she’s been through and is in her makeup now, motherhood, leadership skills sharpened, and wisdom gained over the years. I loved her interactions with Kelly too. Her two wordless scenes with Negan were sheer perfection. I felt she brought back with her a hint of the vibe of the early beloved seasons - I loved all the talk about Hershel and Beth... because she finally could, with Daryl, someone who knew and cared about them.

Little Hershel is breaking my heart. Especially when he walked into Alexandria hand in hand with Maggie, with Negan watching, hell, if that won’t make Negan buckle with regret, nothing will. I have no idea how this situation can be reconciled, but I really don’t want to lose Negan from the show.

Kelly is all kinds of wonderful and rapidly becoming one of my favourites. Was great to hear so much talk of Connie too.

The two new guys with Maggie look interesting enough. The new villains... :confused: Far too soon for me, but whatever.

9/10 for me. Loved all of it except for Gilly Suit Big Bird new villain action. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It was good to have the show back. Felt like forever.

I enjoyed the episode. I expected it to primarily be Negan vs Maggie stuff, but I agree with Neuro that I was glad they only touched briefly on it. I was also expecting fewer characters due to the pandemic, so I was pleased we had a number of them.

With all the cast changes in the past couple of years it's good to have Maggie back. The introduction of Hershel will be interesting too. Hopefully the kid who plays him won't be an annoyance from an acting standpoint.

Mask Guy is weird. I thought it was going to take awhile for him to reveal his face. That would've been strange. But it's almost stranger that he did, and then just put the mask back on again.

Looking forward to the next 5, but not the FTWD mess that's going to follow it in April.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stealth

I thought about the pandemic while watching, because I was curious how it'd be since they'd filmed it fairly early on. For me though it didn't impact the episode. I felt like that one could've been inserted in any season. They've done plenty of outside/traveling style ones before and this really didn't feel any different to me anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BlackBird

The bar is set pretty high now! Hopefully the little actor will be good. I loved the character’s introduction, sitting up in the tree, greeting his mum with a smile. Like no big deal. Somewhat unrealistic maybe, that he wouldn’t have been scared witless, but perhaps he already saw them coming from his vintage point and had time to collect himself - I take it anyway. He’ll obviously carry his parents’ genes of being a born survivor and Maggie’s been no doubt training him. To see that smile and easy going nature just like Glenn’s, that was everything in that moment. God I still miss Glenn.

I really liked that. It was totally unexpected, and I loved his instant connection with Kelly over their shared loss and anguish. I hope Elijah will find his sister too. I really like that contrast of vulnerability and gentleness with him as a super ninja fighter. Intrigued to get to know him better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lastcat3

Don't be surprised if the amount of screen time Maggie's kid got in this episode is the most he is going to get throughout the rest of the series. In the comic he didn't really do anything until the last issue where they jumped forward in time 20+ years and would only occasionally be seen being held by Maggie or standing next to her. THe only reason Judith is getting a lot of screen time is because she is just taking on the role of Carl.

9. BlackBird

I don’t think it’s particularly necessary for him to do much. I’m certainly not expecting much, if anything. It is just lovely to know he’s there. We know they diverge from the comic, so I guess a lot depends on the acting potential of the little fella as well. Cailey Fleming can do absolutely anything they throw at her. I guess Judith’s story is now very different from Carl’s comic story too. I miss Carl.

10. lastcat3

To a point it is but that is largely due to real life circumstances. The actor that played Rick decided to leave the show. THe actress that played Michonne decided to leave the show. THe actress that played Maggie decided to leave the show. Add to that that the two main characters on the show right now.......one never existed in the comic and the other died all the way back at the prison. Even with all those differences I think they are probably still headed towards the same end game.

At this time the comic was pretty much solely focused on the Commonweath and we could go months without even getting a single scene that took place at Hilltop or Alexandria.

11. BlackBird

Aren’t they all going to leave for the Commonwealth anyways? Hilltop seems finished? Alexandria is in no good shape either. What if these crazy new villains will come and burn Alexandria down as well?

#51 BlackBird, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  12. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I liked the episode. The dialogue was well written. Kelly is becoming a favorite.
    They could have forgone the new villain, but I have a feeling they won’t be around for too long. (Unless they have to do with the people that have Rick).

I felt bad for Negan at the end. He’s trying to make amends, but he can’t escape his past.
    8/10

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlackBird

Yes, that really sucks. I mean, the guy spent 8 years in prison. He’d saved Judith, Lydia, Dog, killed Alpha and helped Daryl to bring down Beta. Not to mention escaping then returning of his own will. That should account for something regarding punishment, community service and good behaviour. And yet, he’s still the guy who killed Glenn and Abraham in the most hideous and unspeakable ways, near destroyed Rick abs psychologically scarred them all.

How can you solve a problem like Negan?

14. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Maybe he could live on that island that Michonne visited.

The truth is out there

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. BlackBird

Well, there’s an idea! But... could you actually imagine Negan living on his own? No one to talk to? Crack a joke to? That would be worse for him than living in the cell, wouldn’t it? :D

16. Stealth

Yeah, I thought the introduction of the character was good, right down to him wearing a baseball cap like Glenn. It was a nice flashback. And yes, once they made the choice to kill Abe, they should've just kept Glenn. In the comic only Glenn dies during that Negan scene. The two deaths were a bit over the top for the fans. That's when the real audience decline started.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stealth

I didn't like how the comic ended. Even though Kirkman said it was planned in advance, it felt forced. The Hershel vs. Carl stuff was ridiculous too.

18. Stealth

Negan actually ends up living alone in the comic, but I don't see that happening on the show.

I also believe Andrew Lincolon is going to come back for the final season. I think that's how they tie it up. They could still do the movies to tell his backstory. But I don't see all of this ending without him, and Michonne.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BlackBird

Wouldn’t that be amazing to have them both back?
    I’m at a loss trying to predict how they will tie everything in a neat bow: TWD, the Rick movies, Michonne’s journey, and the Daryl/Carol spinoff that could also be potentially tied to the let’s find Rick project? It’s all getting ridiculously convoluted,
    But I’d love to have Rick and Michonne back at the end of TWD, more than anything.

So Negan went off to live on his own in the comic? Wow. Never to be seen again, or like Carol lived on her own, but still close to the Kingdom?

20. lastcat3

They very well could get him to come back for the final episode or so of the series but in all honesty I think people just need to forget about the Rick movies at this point. I think the only way movies are going to happen at this point is if they have them go straight to the streaming service and not sure if Andrew Lincoln would agree to do that.

Having movies now is far fetched anyways considering how much the ratings have dropped over the last couple years but now with the show officially ending here in about a year it makes it even more far fetched. You need to be a timeless show like MASH for that to happen and that just isn't what TWD is. TWD was a popular fad that ran its course.

• Agree Agree x 1