Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Reapers

Discussion in 'Episode 1017 - Home Sweet Home' started by purriwinkle, Mar 1, 2021.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Judging by the attire, weaponry, and fighting skills of that one guy, are we to assume that this new group, the Reapers, are some sort of military or paramilitary organization that has gone off the rails? Why would they want to kill all survivors they come into contact with and destroy everything? Even themselves. It’s not like they’re walking with the dead like Alpha and her group. What motivates them? Any thoughts for those of us who didn’t read the comics?

2. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

So far they’re just like the Wolves, aren’t they? Killing everyone is their only aim and favourite pastime. Except there’s something about their boss dude, who calls himself the Pope, nonetheless, who “marks” people. Now what does he want to do with those good people he “marks”? Sounds like he just wants to kill them, and kill all their friends and family too whilst his team is at it? Why? The Wolves were spouting some bullshit about everyone’s meant to die now, not try to pretend to live like before. These guys seem to be just as nuts.

#2 BlackBird, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. purriwinkle

What else is new, right? Lol. They’re not military though, I hope. That sniper’s ability to accurately use that high grade rifle(?), set a snare, etc. was upsetting because their level of combat training and maybe experience might outstrip that of our community of people who gained it as they went along. Not that our people are slouches, mind you, but a military background could be an advantage.

I didn’t like that kamikaze move Reaper guy pulled either. Happily even. Can’t wait to meet the “Pope” :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BlackBird

They look like they’re military for sure. Definitely a different league of fighting skills from our people’s. Very worrisome.

I can’t say I’m intrigued though - more like rolling my eyes “villain fatigued” as @Stealth called it. Can’t we just have five minutes peace on this damn show without new enemies? I could very happily just watch entire episodes of our characters having heart to hearts in box cars and in the woods looking for Connie. I don’t even need zombie extras. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  5. purriwinkle

With only one season left, they’ll have to start tying up loose ends I’d imagine. I hope we’ll work towards some happy endings myself, especially for those characters that have managed to survive till now....like maybe a *cough*Connie-Daryl reunion?*cough*:D

• Like Like x 2
  6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The mystery is equalized, because the Reapers aren't in the comics. So I guess right now its anyone's guess. ;). Basically this entire arc is TV show original material. Maggie never left Hilltop in the comics. Another difference is that Hershel is cuter on the show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I agree that these reapers are military/paramilitary background. Additionally, if the leader is called ''Pope'', could this be a 'religious/cultic' hint? That single reaper blowing up himself means he did not want to be captured or what? If he wanted, I suppose he could have taken down a few people around him if he did not show off the pulled out grenade pin. Is he stupid?

Anyway, Elijah could be a former reaper. I am not sure if it is coincidental but Elijah dressed, in a way, similar to a folklore reaper (ie hood, mask, death sickle weapon). He could be a run away from this group. And, he seems to have military training too as he knew using his hand+ position of the sun to judge the time of the day. Then, when he removed his mask per Kelly's asking (if he is okay), he's obviously shaken. This does not match up well with him fighting bravely the whisperers. So, maybe, he knew how these reapers would treat a defector? And he was scared to be captured?

My theory has a weakness:- Maggie seems to know nothing of these reapers. If Elijah was a former member, he should have told Maggie something.

Lastly, when the group reached Alexandria, I saw there is (at least) another one who's dressed like Elijah (with a hood and mask).

Last lastly, I think someone suggested Elijah might be interested in Maggie? I think not, I think he will be set up with Kelly.

#7 Blueman, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  8. BlackBird

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It feels like these are bridge villains. They'll use them between now and the last season, but I don't see them lasting too long in Season 11. At least after the Governor we had a little break before the Hunters/Sanctuary group were brought in. There was a lead up to it, and then the horror of what was going on.

There was enough story to tell I think in these episodes without bringing in a new gang.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Stealth

My biggest complaint about last season was when they had that insane and annoying Virgil character find Connie. Not only did I want him off the show, but it just adds to the frustration of her story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. purriwinkle

Even the RL Pope has the Swiss guard so this “pope” might be surrounded by a military guard that does more than protect his person. That reaper blowing himself up took me surprise because unless there is an underlying religious context such as a heavenly reward (which could have explained the smile) why would he do that? Surely he must have been trained to resist interrogation and pain didn’t seem to disable him even shot with an arrow. He also had a good chance of escape with his skill set. If they killed him he’d still be a martyr for his cause.

I didn’t get the idea Elijah was a reaper because he would have prepared Maggie and their own group better but he might have done a tour in the military prior to the ZA which could explain his actions. The mask could serve a couple of functions. His hides his facial expressions during a battle and could provide more protection from a walker bite if he found himself in some unfortunate situation. He removed it with Kelly because he feels he has something in common with her. She gets him. I could see the two of them bonding and becoming a couple.

12. Stealth

The religious cult angle is a real possibilty. The show hasn't gone that route yet either.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Pope!!?? Animal Kingdom crossover?? :)