Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Season 11 Promos

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Spoilers' started by BlackBird, Jul 17, 2021.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

A great little montage of the first ten seasons. So many iconic moments here... and so much Rick!

I’m so looking forward to seeing how this will all end.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BlackBird

This is also really cool. Great soundtrack,

3. BlackBird

And first sneak peek, a very intriguing wall of graffiti found by Daryl.

4. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

You know maybe with this being the final season and all they can up the budget a bit so we don't spend entire episodes of characters just walking in front of a wall or within the confines of a small room.

This is AMC though so of course that isn't going to happen. They would rather put out twenty 2 million dollar episodes than ten more expensive high quality ones.

5. BlackBird

I don't much care about expensive production, to be honest. I actually prefer the more intimate episodes on the whole, with less action and less zombies. Ideally we need a balance of the two, I guess.

I'm more concerned about the quality of writing and a satisfying endgame to this saga, and that all remaining main characters' storylines and development will be tied in a neat bow. Nothing like how GoT ended, no matter how much money got spent on that!

I really wish they'd abandon this Rick-films fiasco and just tied up his story in the final episodes of the main show, but for some crazy reason they're sticking with it. The delays due to the pandemic would have given them an easy way out, but they don't seem to want to take it.

A reunion between Rick, Michonne, Daryl and Judith, JR and the remaining main characters would have been a wonderful ending to the main show and the promise of which would have enticed old fans back too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lastcat3

To be honnest I think the films have been on the backburner for awhile now. They very seldom officially say that a project that hasn't even started yet has been cancelled. They tend to just let people forget about it and that looks like what is happening with the Rick movies. We havn't gotten any kind of official news regarding the Rick movies in about two years now. Since then it basically has just been youtubers not giving up on the idea of there being a TWD movie and making videos about it.

High tv budgets used to not be a big deal but expectations for tv dramas has greatly increased over the last ten years and many people now go in to them expecting them to look just as good as movies would. And you can simply tell better stories when you have more money to work with than you can when you have a pretty limited budget. Sure there might be an occasional example people can come up with to say otherwise but generally it is true that if you don't have a lot of money to work with it puts a lot of limits on the type of story you can tell.

If AMC isn't willing to raise the stakes on their productions they probably need to just go back to showing old movies like they used to do as not many people are going to be excited to watch a show that they are only spending two to three million on when most other tv studios are spending 10m+ an episode on their shows.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Since they're going to complete the show with 3 half seasons they should reserve that final half for the return of Rick and tie up all loose ends. They could have him appear in the finale of the second half as a cliffhanger sort of thing too.

You really can't end this series without Rick and Michonne.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Stealth

One area that they really blew it was with the spinoffs. I was looking forward to Fear because we never got to see the world breakdown while Rick was in his coma. Then Fear (most likely due to budget) just jumped past most of that within the course of one episode. I got disillusioned, stopped watching, and then returned when people said the writing improved. Now of course it's back to being ridiculous again.

They should've taken their time mapping out Fear. They had some potentially interesting characters: Daniel, Strand, Madison, Alicia and Nick, but they were ruined with poor writing.

In the gap they could've run an anthology style series where you get the backstory on previous TWD characters like the Governor. The audience would've liked that and the expectations wouldn't have been as high.

Now the whole franchise is off the rails. Apparently the final season of World Beyond is such trash that they're hesitant about even airing it.

9. BlackBird

Oh dear, is it that bad? I've not even started WB and opted out from Fear after the first season. Looking back, the reason I didn't bond with Fear was because I didn't like any of the characters. I mean, I found them interesting, especially the five you've listed above, but I didn't warm to any of them enough to keep watching yet another zombie show when I don't even like the genre, truth to be told! :p:rolleyes:o_O

The great thing about TWD was that having seen he pilot, I already loved Rick, and was already invested in him finding his family. By the end of the first Season I liked all the characters and started to really care about them. Plus the world they've created was just so utterly fascinating.

Much as I adore Daryl, enjoy Carol, and love their banter, I don't think a Daryl/Carol spinoff is a good idea either. Why can't they just gracefully let these characters go now after the end of S11, I don't know. Unless, unless... this is how they will want to bring about the Big Reunion. They'd need to keep Daryl and Carol going, looking for Rick, until they manage to get these three movies done. Now that just sounds like at least 3 years? Will anyone still care after all that time? Besides the few diehard fans left?

• Like Like x 1
  10. lastcat3

See I thought World Beyond was going to air immediately after Fear's season finished up. Did they delay it?

11. Stealth

Yeah World Beyond is that bad. I gave the first season a chance but vowed not to watch the final one.

The trouble with TWD is that they never had an endgame. That's why we had the idiotic death of Carl. The central story from the comic is a father and son surviving the apocalypse. It's also what viewers on the TV side were onboard for. Now that they're doing this Daryl/Carol spinoff they should've just planned on ending Rick/Carl/Michonne's story and taking part of the cast on that spinoff. It's basically what we've gotten now anyway, except we never got an adequate resolution for our main characters.

I'll be really angry if Gimple brings back Rick at the end of the series, but doesn't answer any questions etc, and leaves it as a cliffhanger for the movies. I could see him doing something like that. Because although Kang is running TWD, that fool Gimple is still captaining the sinking franchise.

12. Stealth

Yeah there was an announcement that it was delayed but there was no new air date set. Maybe they'll run it around the holidays and hope people forget about it.

13. BlackBird

That would have been a wonderful story to tell on the tv show too, but we have lost both of them for all we know (that Andy won’t come back to the mother show).

These crazy decisions they’ve made, could all be reversed and rectified, and blamed on Covid so they wouldn’t even look bad! It’s so very frustrating.

Yes, this is very worrisome. I mean when they’ve started to tv shows, even Kirkman didn’t know where he was going with his story, did he? Then suddenly he just finished the comics. So hopefully in all this time they’ve come up with an ending that will please more people than the GoT finale.

I appreciate the writers didn’t have an easy job. Problems with the source material, actors leaving, Gimple deciding to write Chandler out, etc. They strung out the Saviors conflict by almost a season, I reckon, that’s what messed up a lot of things. Well, what’s done is done, but now they’ve got a chance to do a great send off for the show, so fingers crossed.

I’m bracing myself though, after GoT. And keep telling myself it’s only a tv show to preempt any potential disappointment. o_O

• Like Like x 1
  14. lastcat3

Yeah whenever they delay something without giving it a new date you know something is amiss. And studios have been back at work for too long for covid to be an excuse. The regular show has been filming long enough for them to premiere eight new episodes starting next month and they have a much bigger cast to deal with than World Beyond does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Stealth

Kirkman will say he planned on ending it as he did, with not much forewarning, but I have my doubts. The ending was too uneven for it to have been planned out far in advance. I enjoyed the comics as a whole, but didn't like how he completed the story.

16. BlackBird

What were your issues with how the comic ended?

17. lastcat3

A lot of people's issues with it seemed to be that it just came out of nowhere. The characters were all in completely different places in issue 192 than they were in issue 193. In issue 192 Carl was still getting sexed up by Lydia but in issue 193 he is married to Sophia and has a kid with her. Things like that.

My guess is that Kirkman had written that ending long before and he was just going to put it in when he was getting tired of working on it. The ending would have worked just as well after issue 250 or 300. All he would have needed to do was keep Sophia alive and in good terms with Carl. It had been becoming pretty obvious for awhile that Sophia would be the one Carl would end up with and that Lydia was just the crazy girl he was having fun with. Other than the Sophia/Carl thing all else he would have needed to do to align with that ending was slowly be moving people over to the Commonwealth.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stealth

A bunch of the points were hit on by @lastcat3 but I'd also add that the stuff he did with Maggie's son Hershel, was stupid. He was part of a carnival or something that displayed walkers. Carl killed one of the walkers and then he went on trial for having done it. He was cleared but it was all contrived garbage. It was like Gimple wrote it, instead of Kirkman.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. BlackBird

Oh dear. Well hopefully none of this nonsense will make it into the tv show.

It's a pity we never got to see how the Carl/Lydia relationship might have worked out on screen. Lydia is such a great character played by a fabulous actress, and Henry was no match for her in my opinion. Carl's character had so much more depth and layers, it would have been so much more interesting. And what a shame our tv Lydia is still such a loner, it's heartbreaking. Yes, Carl was a huge loss and rather unnecessary, especially as Chandler was just beginning to grow into the role as an actor. Killing Glenn was tragic enough, letting Carl go too felt like the heart of the show was ripped out at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. lastcat3

To be honest I really kind of enjoyed Lydia's character from the comic more than I did the show. Though comic Lydia was a bit of a one note character and her entire existence in the story was wrapped around Carl but at the same time though I think comic Lydia better epitomized what it was like to come from that group than show Lydia did. They really toned down Lydia's character in the show (probably because they were dealing with a real teenage actress instead of pen and paper).