Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Another interesting article on biology. A group of British scientists have figured out how to make DNA to code for amino acids that normally are NOT used by the body to make proteins not normally made by the body, and to have a system that runs them in parallel to the normal dna and that produces proteins in the cell as efficiently as normal proteins.

On the plus side, researchers will be able to have cells make and do things they never could before. On the negative side, researchers will be able to have cells make and do things they never could before.

An evil society could put this to great use. Say you encode for a protein that produces a lethal poison, and have an enzyme coded for in front of it that keeps it suppressed as long as it sees substance X in the body. Your population would have to keep buying and eating substance X, as if they didn't their own body would kill them off. Even better is that they'd pass that gene on to their children. Sounds like a 1950's horror plot, but soon to be technically possible.

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...e-in-parallel-with-the-normal-one/?comments=1

2. Morgotha

So someone who was apparently a Hasidic Jew basically executed someone in NY likely as part of an organized crime thing. I think that's the first time I've seen that reported.

"Victim Jermaine Dixon — a former member of the “Patio Crew” in Brooklyn — had been out of federal prison for less than a year when the disguised gunman struck on Monday, killing the reformed gangster.

Surveillance video from S. Conduit Ave. near 132nd St. in South Ozone Park captured what appears to be the planned hit around 8 a.m.

The gunman was a Black man dressed in a Hasidic-style hat and long black robe, police sources said. Video released Thursday by the NYPD shows the shooter near Kennedy Airport, working on a white sedan with the hood up while keeping an eye out for his target.

As Dixon, 47, approached his Ford Edge SUV, the suspect runs over and shoots him in the back of the head, video shows.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...erer-in-caught-on-camera-execution/ar-AAOgH9L

link to video: https://www.the-sun.com/news/3634458/assassin-executes-victim-broad-daylight-new-york/

3. Morgotha

In the Fairfax district in West Hollywood is a street called Melrose (like in the t.v. show Melrose Place) which houses an upscale shopping district with lots of eateries and places to windowshop, etc. It's a place that I would have considered "safe" as far as Los Angeles goes. Here's what it's become under Biden/Newsom. So... yeah. Maybe not so much anymore.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-diners-robbed-gunpoint-cafe

4. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

https://apple.news/A9JJfBhUQRlGC1fftpXGJXA

I couldn’t believe the headline.

“Police chief resigns along with every single officer”.

But this is Fox news. So it was 3 officers. Yes. All 3 of them.

“The reasons for the resignations include there not being a police clerk to assist the department, not having qualified officers in the department, the pay rate, and new opportunities, KY3 reported.”

Not having qualified officers in the field? If theres only 3 of you.... it’s pretty obvious who you are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Morgotha

Right, it is surprising. One would expect one of the junior officers to stay and become the new chief. *All* of the police officers for a town resigning at the same time doesn't happen every day. I'd say what's MORE surprising is that the article's author didn't try and blame it on a left-wing defund the police thing, but listed they were unhappy with the local conditions and were moving on to better things.

6. DeadZedHead

The officers didn’t but its fox news so of course they did.

“The resignations come as small town police departments across the country struggle to stay staffed as crimes increase and following more than a year of politicians and activists calling for departments to be defunded.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I think it’s an excellent opportunity for the mayor to get in there and build the department from the ground up. How bad can it be in Missouri that there aren’t people willing to take a civil service exam for a good job with benefits? Maybe no one wanted to work with those three, now resigned officers. Did they have a reputation for being overly aggressive or for sexual harassment? I mean, ‘cmon man, lol, they couldn’t even get a clerk to work there?

Cast the employment net wide. Are there no community colleges or universities with criminal justice programs? What about men or women who served time in the military as MPs.
    How about a special effort to recruit minorities and women? A woman police chief might be exactly what that department needs.

8. Morgotha

On the clerk: To me the "no clerk works there" meant "the pay is so low it's not worth the benefits", not that the officers have such a notorious reputation as harassers that all the local women are afraid to go in to the station!

On the cops: Yeah, maybe that's it, all the police were bad eggs.:rolleyes: And a minority or a female police chief? What shocked me during the Floyd riots is how EVERY city on t.v. where these occurred seemed to have a minority and/or female police chief! I'm sure those hiring guidelines are in place already.

What else might be causing them to leave other than the fact they are all white men and are therefore evil by nature?

"
    The 2019 crime rate in Kimberling City, MO is 187 (City-Data.com crime index), which is 1.4 times smaller than the U.S. average. It was higher than in 66.2% U.S. cities

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Kimberling-City-Missouri.html

"
    So, Kimberling City is smaller than your average city, but with a higher crime rate. Not exactly paradise, then. Add to that a very low salary and it seems like a good enough reason to want to leave without assuming "it's the cops' fault". Also, you likely won't attract the good candidates you want unless the pay goes up, as even police officers have to pay bills at the end of the month, and why would someone work in some hellhole and be underpaid when they could be underpaid working somewhere safer and write traffic tickets all day instead of getting shot at?

Oh, and looking at this chart on salaries https://www.indeed.com/career/police-officer/salaries/Kimberling-City--MO

these men can get a 20% raise just by moving over a few towns. Not too shabby. Not as good as Michelle Obama's salary doubling when Barrack became a state senator, but still not too shabby.

#6588 Morgotha, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  9. purriwinkle

That seems to be the excuse all over the country now isn’t it. Pay’s too low so I’ll quit. Hits all occupations apparently. Then the town needs to sweeten the pot compensation/benefit wise.

How interesting that we have a Midwest crime hellhole. From your posts you’d think that was only an east/west coast problem.:rolleyes: The men were police officers. That’s their job to fight crime. Perhaps it’s the mayor or town council’s fault for not recruiting enough help and the guys got burn out.

Regardless, they’re going to have to start from the ground up or vote to consolidate resources with near by towns. I still think it’s an opportunity for the city and any enterprising young people of all colors or gender looking to start their careers. Surely they can recruit someone with a bit more experience to be chief if look hard enough. Maybe someone from Portland, LOL, who doesn’t want to be there anymore.;)

10. Morgotha

Well.... we don't like to say this out loud, but technically speaking, Missouri isn't really part of the Midwest, it's "Missouri". :oops::(;)

The guys aren't superheroes or indentured servants, they are paid to fight crime. If the pay is too low, they can move on, and did. You know though, I bet deep down it was NOT a pay issue. Most people won't pack up stakes and move for a few extra bucks. There had to be some bigger/ more personal issue going on. That probably won't get printed, though.

A Portland police chief moving to small town Missouri? Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse? Anyway, it works for me as I don't live there.

I'd likely take a different approach, like leveling a police tax on the city, raising the salary of officers to where they're 10% Higher than the surrounding cities instead of 23 percent Lower, hiring a few more officers and a chief like that shoot 'em up Sheriff in Florida and see if it wasn't possible to make it safe to walk down the street again. If I could walk from one side of the town to the other without being molested, I'd call that a success.

11. purriwinkle

Oh, I totally agree there’s more to this story than meets the eye and that the public will probably never know about.

Remember, the shoot em up sheriff in Florida didn’t actually shoot that murderous ex marine. He was just letting off some steam.

12. Morgotha

And so we're clear, I don't want the police summarily executing people as part of their job description or authority. OTOH, if someone is shooting at police I'm not going to shed any tears if the police shoot them dead. Having one less violent criminal won't hurt our society one bit.

13. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

You mean like this? This is the traffic stop my brother saw. He was about a quarter mile down the road when the shooting started.

The video is graphic, so don’t watch if you can’t stomach it.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/bre...-dead-deputy-shot/RE5WYCTNA5FOZLIWAKQJ5ACL3I/

A memorial was put in place for the bad guy, but someone from the black community keeps knocking it down. They know that guy deserved it.

The truth is out there

14. purriwinkle

Who would disagree that police should fire back at those who attack first? In this case if they were better shots maybe they could have eliminated a very violent criminal. That exMarine madman engaged in a gun battle with the cops after his murderous rampage yet was taken alive after being wounded once. In the sheriff’s words:

"If he'd given us the opportunity, we'd have shot him up a lot, but he didn't because he was a coward," Judd said Sunday. "You see, it's easy to shoot innocent children and babies and people in the middle of the night when you've got the gun and they don't."

While I don’t disagree with the sheriff, I wish law officers would remember that when they have encounters with unarmed civilians.

Besides, again in this case, taking that man into custody would not have necessarily made the streets safe to walk from one side of town to the other. F**ker broke into the families house and murdered those poor people within the confines of their own home. Later I read he said “God” told him to do it. I wonder if he’s hoping to cop an insanity plea. At any rate he needs to be removed from society one way or another.

15. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

He has to be insane though to shoot up all of those people, unless he was under the influence of drugs.

Anyone convicted of first degree murder should be put away for life, no matter what their mental state was. The only reason they should get an appeal is if new evidence surfaces regarding their innocence. There's no parole for good behavior, age etc. It's a travesty that Sirhan Sirhan, the killer of RFK, is being considered for parole now. It doesn't matter that it's 50+ years.

16. purriwinkle

Insane? Would seem like it or maybe only completely deluded. His fixation with this imaginary girl “Amber” being a sex trafficking victim that only he could save has overtones of pizzagate. Alt right groups use this idea to get people riled up baselessly past the point of all reason. If you’re a rank and file member or ex member of the military, you’re not taught to think for yourself but to follow the commands of your leader. It would seem for many, they carry this mentality with them even after their military careers are over.

I’ve pondered over whether people who have committed heinous acts can really be rehabilitated. Perhaps over the course of many years but does that really erase their debt to society? It doesn’t bring back the lives lost if the criminal was a murderer, for example. Once released will they revert to the way they were before and repeat their crimes, if only because they can no longer function outside their prison walls? Will some now devout their lives to helping others rather than hurting them? I just don’t know what to think. It really comes down to a case by case situation for me and then there is always an element of risk involved.

17. Stealth

For me though there's a big difference in believing crazy, baseless stuff and then killing people over it. That's the line any sane person in a civilized society recognizes. I think once you cross it your you're pushing into some form of mental illness. Even a crime of passion is often recognized as temporary insanity. A person was enraged to see their spouse cheating on them so they lost it. Are they insane? Likely not, but the act itself is recognized as one committed by a person not in their right mind (even temporarily). So when so much premeditation and planning is put into an act, where a person fixates on some fantasy world and then goes out and starts shooting people up, that crosses the line into a form of mental illness.

Someone can be crazy enough to believe Pizzagate, or any other conspiracy, but once they go over the edge and start harming people over it we're in a whole other category.

18. purriwinkle

Maybe, maybe not. Those Jan. 6th Insurrectionists were motivated to act on ridiculous baseless information. They believed it and broke into the Capitol looking for congresspeople. Did they kill anyone? No but not for lack of trying, IMO. If those alt right militants had captured Gretchen Whitmore would they tried and executed her? Who knows. They did say that they would kill any cops who tried to hinder them. Thankfully they were intercepted before we had a chance to find out. What about that QAnon guy who spear gunned his young children? Did his wife or relatives think he was crazy and would harm his children before he did it? Nope.

Of course, sane people naturally would think that these perp’s cheese has slid off their crackers cause only “insane” people act on these impulses but do they have a clinical condition like psychosis?
    Those who know say that while yes, some mass murderers have diagnosable mental illness others do not. From the cited article:

Most mass murderers instead belong to a rogue’s gallery of the disgruntled and aggrieved, whose anger and intentions wax and wane over time, eventually curdling into violence in the wake of some perceived humiliation.

“They have a passing thought. They think about it more, they fantasize, they slowly build a justification. They prepare, and then when the right set of circumstances comes along, it unleashes the rage.”

This evolution proceeds rationally and logically, at least in the murderer’s mind. The unthinkable becomes thinkable, then inevitable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/health/mass-murderers-mental-illness.html

I rather find it actually fascinating because it’s kinda scary to realize that anyone can work themselves into a state and commit these horrible crimes.

Another thing I found was that men are more likely to commit this type of crime. Why? One analysis states:

Into the sociological frame, too, comes strain theory, which proposes that difficult circumstances or life stresses can produce anger and frustration that may lead to violence. The gender divide is explained by the evidence that men are likely to react violently to such strains. Women, according to this theory, are more likely to internalise their responses.

https://theconversation.com/men-are...why-is-this-so-and-how-do-we-change-it-157331

You may not agree with the above but it’s food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stealth

Yeah, I agree with your points on the 1/6 insurrection. Where I'd divide the line though is between the individual and the group. We know that mobs can be drawn to do terrible things. It sheds inhibitions and gives validation to your beliefs and actions. Similarly state sponsored oppression works the same way, whether it's fascism or communism etc.

Also, you have organized crime or gangs that work along a different but similar group mentality. There you often have a situation where you must do terrible things or face the wrath of the group yourself.

To me though, most of the solo actors are different because the ideas are mostly rooted in their own mind. They're not being forced to do these things, and in most cases they're not getting approval from others. They're not part of a group or mob. So you have your Sandy Hook mass murder or your serial killer. These people are in different categories in my opinion.

And I can't argue with the studies comparing the gender divide in terms of violence. The numbers are clear and there is certainly a societal role that impacts this. Women as you said internalize it more. That's why there are more cases of depression than with men. Men become disproportionately more violent. Both cases though are a form of mental illness per se.

I think our more individualistic society plays a role too. Many people feel isolated and alone, that there's no one that gives a damn. And the entire pandemic has exacerbated that problem. It's one reason why our society is more violent than other comparable democracies.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DeadZedHead