Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Last Kingdom

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Stealth, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I'm surprised we don't have a thread for this Netflix series. It's been running for a few years now and they just released Season 5. It's based on England vs. the Vikings during the general period of King Alfred. I won't give anything else away than the basics. It's fictional but runs along the main historical back drop.

I'm currently in the middle of Season 4, and Season 3 was probably one of the very best single seasons of a series I've ever seen. This is an underrated show. I think @purriwinkle in particular would like it a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I've seen it! Binge watched all that was available back in 2020 when we were first on lockdown. I liked it although I felt bad that the main character was always getting the short end of the stick but he somehow kept going. I even mentioned it in the old WATCHATHON Watcha Watching thread from 2020 on page 2. (went back and looked to see where I posted) It's been a while now but I do remember where we were when the last season ended. I really did like it. If they just released season 5 I'll have to check it out. I

#2 purriwinkle, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Stealth

I agree how terrible it is that Uhtred keeps getting the short end of the stick. It's in everything too, his relationships and losing people close to him. The return to Bebbanburg was particularly difficult. He finally gets his uncle in his grasp, and then the son hated his Dad too and put an arrow in him. Uhtred didn't even get his revenge. And, even worse, he lost Father Beocca there, who was such a great character. I had to take a small break in my binge watching after all of that went down. It was much to absorb.

The grittiness and the dealing with consequences of your actions in the show, reminds me of the early seasons of Game of Thrones.

What's impressed me the most about the series so far, are the final two episodes of Season 3. That would be episode 9 with the last full meeting between Uhtred and Alfred. It brought everything full circle and he did get his recognition and pardon. Then you have episode 10 where Edwards sides with Uhtred and he gives his speech about how he both loved and despised Alfred. That moment was well earned. Then we had the battle and Uhtred getting revenge for his brother's murder.

All of that is tough to deliver, and I thought those two episodes were close to perfect.

I think in the end Uhtred is going to have some sort of positive payoff, even if it's just him forging a better future for his children, which seems to be his goal at this point. It's once again more heartbreak though for him since he'll likely never be able to be with Aethelflaed.

4. Stealth

Almost done with this series. Will finish up Season 5 soon. Season 4 was a bit of a disappointment. Like I said before I thought Season 3 was excellent, but the back half of Season 4 was really grueling as Uhtred continued to take hits. I can see more of what @purriwinkle was saying now that I'm done with that season. Losing Bebbanburg and Beocca was like Handmaids Tale level painful to watch. What really did it for me though was how Uhtred finally got a position that would get him everything he wanted, Lord of Mercia. It would reward him, his family and his followers. Then he gives it up to Aethelflaed because she felt she was best to rule. So once again another sacrifice for people who don't fully appreciate him. That soured me a bit.

Season 5 is better done, even though there is yet more angst and two very villainous characters I want dead, but we'll see how it's wrapped up. I won't give any spoilers on the current season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. purriwinkle

I haven't had a chance to catch up but I will! If Uhtred wasn't a heathen, I nominate him for sainthood, lol. I was always thinking, NOT AGAIN.......

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stealth

Season 5 is not the end. They are going to complete the story with a Netflix movie. I'm glad because I don't see how all of this gets wrapped up in the 4 episodes I have left.

He definitely deserves a bit of happiness at the end of the saga.

7. purriwinkle

Finally! I found some time to start watching season five. Honestly, Bridgerton came first, lol, but I’m really enjoying Kingdom too. In fact, I’ve been on the edge of my seat and I’ve only seen the first five episodes. I’m worried for everyone at this point, especially Sigtryggr and Stiorra.

8. Stealth

I do that too with shows, put them on the backburner. The new Star Wars universe series I want to watch. I kind of soured on the franchise after the last film trilogy but I want to eventually see the Mandalorian and the new Kenobi series. It won't be until the fall or winter though.

I'd make a few vague comments about the end of Season 5, but I'm afraid anything might come across as spoilerish, so I'll wait until you're done.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. purriwinkle

I’ve finished the season. Even though I know a movie is in the works, I would have been content to leave things where they finished now. It was a good ending…

what more could you ask for? I could live with the happily ever after vibe and I know that the movie will only stir up more trouble.
    Oh, well. I’ll no doubt watch it though.

#9 purriwinkle, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  10. Stealth

That was the point I was going to make, that I don't need a movie either. But I felt it would be too much of a spoiler since you'd assume it was a good ending.

I don't know where you really go from here. Uhtred has had enough suffering so who wants to see that again. I mean, I'll watch it, and will enjoy seeing all the characters again but that was the perfect ending for me. The sequence at the end with him having the flashbacks of his life while on the wall at Bebbanburg was perfect.

Hopefully the movie just wraps up Alfred's dream of uniting the kingdom, which will happen under Aethelstan. If Uhtred is just part of that, I think that would be the best way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. purriwinkle

Right. Uhtred’s arc was complete. He lost his ancestral home in season one, and regained it at the end of five. Everything that happened in between was the journey he had to go through to get there. I like your idea that the movie should focus on Aethelstan’s fulfillment of his grandfather’s dream but that has to have impact on Babbenburg and the whole of Northumbria.

Don’t you think they’ll have to have a big time jump? While Aethelstan turned out to be a good fighter, he’s still green…and young. I hope that whatever happens he’ll give special consideration to his old mentor Uhtred.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stealth

I remember when everything was burning around Uhtred, thinking to myself...if they have it burn down I'll hate this series with a passion. And then they brought the rain. It was perfect in a way because in the past he constantly had bad luck and now everything had finally changed.

Uhtred is like a father to Aethelstan so I think this time around it'll be different and we won't have the same conflict between him and the crown. Uhtred told Edward straight out that the kingdom will one day be united, so he accepts that fact but he just felt that Edward was not the man for it.

My guess would be we'll have a bit of a time jump and it'll open with Edward close to dying. We'll catch up on Uhtred's family. I'm guessing he'll be married to Eadith. There was chemistry between them, and they're a perfect fit for one another. Athelstan will need Uhtred's help and that will probably be the crux of the story and at the end he'll return home.

• Like Like x 1
  13. purriwinkle

[​IMG]
    *perfection*

• Like Like x 1
  14. avensis

avensis New Member

The intensity and the interest do not weaken over the seasons, is one of those series whose continuation is impatiently awaited. Part of my Top 10.

#14 avensis, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  15. Stealth

Some good news, The Last Kingdom film will be released by Netflix on April 14th. @purriwinkle

While I thought the way the series ended would've been a perfect way to conclude the story, I'm glad we get to see more. Really looking forward to this.

• Like Like x 1
  16. purriwinkle

That is good news. Like you, I thought they ended the series perfectly so while I too am excited, I’m also a bit apprehensive. You know, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it but you know I’ll tune in anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stealth

Even if they do have a misstep, I don't think that it'd tarnish the legacy of the show with the film. It's not like Game of Thrones, at least we have a real ending of The Last Kingdom to fall back on.

Some people didn't like the Jesse Pinkman focused Breaking Bad film all that much. I did. But either way it doesn't impact the series one way or the other.

With that said though, I think it'll be at least decent. Unlike some showrunners they seem to understand what works for an audience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. purriwinkle

I’m sure you’re right but by the end of the series I couldn’t take all the bad breaks Uthred had been getting since the series started. He was at peace with his ancestral land in hand at the end and I was good with that.

Of course there’s more history to be told with violent encounters to be had but I eventually hope to see Uhtred die in bed of old age, sated with all his accomplishments and his family around him cause God knows his character deserves that much at least.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stealth

Oh yeah, I'm with you on the bad breaks. It was getting too much, but it made the payoff even better in the end. I remember when Bebbanburg went up in flames I was like, this is too much I'll go scorched Earth on this show if they let this happen. But finally he got his first good break.

My guess is they'll provide a good conclusion that leaves open the possibility of one more movie years down the line. I don't think they'll show him in old age since they might want to revisit it all at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  20. purriwinkle

They can take it as far as they want as long as Alexander Dreymon agrees to continue in the role as Uthred. The whole series is based around his character and IRL I believe I read that he’s already 40 so this is a let’s play it by ear situation as to where he wants to take his acting career in the future.

• Like Like x 1