Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Decisions like Plessey, were harmful and regressive but were eventually overturned as society’s opinions evolved over time.
    I believe that allowing women control over their reproductive rights are essential for to them to take full control of their lives.
    States now will decide on whether or not to allow women within their borders to continue to be in charge of the decision to become a mother, I continue to hope that Dobbs will be overturned in the future as were some of those early decisions but am happy to reside in a state that trusts women enough to make the right choice for themselves.

The SC’s decisions, based on their interpretation, in effect becomes law.

Viability is the ability of the fetus to survive outside of the mother’s womb. What the SC of ‘73 tried to do was to wield the wisdom of Solomon, by recognizing elements of both sides of the issue. If the fetus could not survive on it’s own, the state had no intent to violate the privacy of what was in a woman’s uterus until the developing child reached a stage that the state had a stake in protecting a very real potential life. Until then the rights of the already living and breathing human being, the mother, took precedent.

If the language of the original document is somewhat vague, and times change, can we even definitely always know for certain what the “original intent” was 300 yrs later? As we’ve discussed, decisions have been overturned so the original intent wasn’t written in stone.

Creating a constitutional amendment to address abortion may protect it from the SC but it can be stuck down never the less.

Including the first 10 amendments, the Bill of Rights, which were ratified in 1789, the Senate historian estimates that approximately 11,699 amendment changes have been proposed in Congress through 2016. Only one amendment, the 18th Amendment that established Prohibition, was later repealed by the states.
    https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/what-does-it-take-to-repeal-a-constitutional-amendment

Yes, things may settle as long as there are states where women can go to get abortions after making the decision to do so.

What kind of lawyer is that? LOL. Suing your doctor can be tricky unless real harm can be demonstrated. A number of really good lawyers in private practice, much like doctors, locate where the money is, and you better be prepared to pay through the nose. I do believe however, there are good lawyers in small towns but unless there’s a good chance of success they may decline to take a case. Contingency is a financial risk for them as well as the client.

See the above answer. Prohibition was a constitutional amendment that was repealed although not by the SC.

We’ll see won’t we. How many women will rush to a hospital if their efforts at self abortion go awry, if they know they will be prosecuted? With legalized abortion, the procedure can be done safely, in sterile medical facilities with knowledgeable doctors.

From your last cited article:

There is one certainty in this issue-that controversy about abortion will continue. It is unlikely that practices, policies, and laws will become more permissive than they were in the years immediately following the Supreme Court decisions of 1973; it seems much more likely that the practice of abortion will be restricted. Such restrictions will have important implications for public health; however, these restrictions are likely to have a moral rather than a health rational.

Deaths attributed to abortion made up almost 20% of deaths reported in pregnant women during the 194Os. Now they make up fewer than 10% of all deaths that occur during pregnancy.

The decline in abortion-related deaths since 1972 is striking (Figures 6 and 7). Examination of the deaths from legally induced, illegally induced, and spontaneous abortions separately, as has been done in Figure 7, illustrates the reasons for this decrease. Illegal abortions have had the most striking decline. In 1972, 39 deaths from this cause were reported to CDC; by 1979, despite repeated inquiry of all known sources, no illegal abortions deaths were found. This change has been associated in time with the in creased availability of safe, legal abortions that has followed the Supreme Court decisions. Most legal, induced abortions are substitutes for less-safe, illegal abortions. This substitution effect accounts for the dramatic impact that the Supreme Court decisions have had on mortality from abortion.

#7581 purriwinkle, Jul 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  2. purriwinkle

Not state law yet but if the Idaho GOP gets their way it will be. Stay tuned.It’s early yet. If it indeed happens , you’ll get the Margaret Atwood, I told you so gif. :D

3. purriwinkle

I wish I could have hit more than one rating for this post! You make some very good points, especially concerning the economic impact of having more children than women want. Not enough is said about how this will adversely effect women’s ability to work. Child care in this country is abysmal to begin with, and the cost of raising a child today? It will be disastrous for some families if they are unable to secure a desired abortion in a neighboring state.

*Oh, I loved “third world American state”, so much so I’ll probably appropriate it when talking with others in RL, but I’ll tell them where I heard it first, lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

That's the thing, they *didn't* apply their own standard! What they said was that in the third trimester the fetus was viable and therefore a person worthy of protection, BUT they were still NOT considered a person for the purposes of abortion. Even after Roe a state like NY could still let women have abortions up to the time of birth.

IOW, they left the decision to the *states*, just like the situation was before Roe.

If they would have said that viability determines personhood, so abortion can be performed prior to that, but not afterwards - I bet more people would have been "ok" with their decision.

Absolutely, in theory. In practice it's hard to overturn a law, and d@mn near impossible to overturn an amendment.

The Jacoby and Meyers, Michael Avenatti kind.

You missed the point. The reason there were deaths in the 30's and 40's were we didn't have antibiotics and people died from infections after surgical procedures. The reason there were less deaths from illegal as opposed to legal abortions after Roe's passage was that abortions were now legal. Some women will still die from abortion procedures, even when legal, and the later the abortion, the higher the risk - to the mother. The baby's death rate, again, is 100%

#7584 Morgotha, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  5. purriwinkle

Well, let’s review that third trimester wording:

• During the third trimester of pregnancy, the state's interest in protecting the potential human life outweighs the right to privacy. As a result, the state may prohibit abortions unless an abortion is necessary to save the life or health of the pregnant person.

So you weren’t supposed to be able to get an abortion in the third trimester unless it was to save the life or health of the mother. Again, they put the living, breathing, productive adult (with the potential to have another child) over the infant if it meant a maternal death or serious health issue. With good prenatal care a doctor should be able to head this off, but not always.

I personally am acquainted with a woman who lost her baby close to delivery due to issues with preeclampsia which led to a placental abruption and the loss of the child. Fortunately mom was saved. I’m only telling you this to demonstrate that even with modern medical treatment, serious issues can arise in which the unborn child will be lost at a later stage due to natural causes.

Difficult but NOT impossible.

I don’t think I know who Jacoby and Meyers are but Michael Avenanti for sure! Lol

Perhaps you missed the point. There were still women dying from illegal abortions in 1972. Women cannot write their own prescriptions for antibiotics nor likely be equipped to handle hemorrhage. Your cited article stated:

“ In 1972, 39 deaths from this cause were reported to CDC; by 1979, despite repeated inquiry of all known sources, no illegal abortions deaths were found.”

Why?

With the passage of Roe, they went to the hospital or other health clinic where maternal death was greatly reduced. One more time from your cited article:
    “This change has been associated in time with the in creased availability of safe, legal abortions that has followed the Supreme Court decisions. Most legal, induced abortions are substitutes for less-safe, illegal abortions.”

Yes, some mothers will die from pregnancy or childbirth complications no matter what. Some might die from complications of abortion. That the “child’s” death rate from abortion is 100% is kinda the whole idea, but it takes many months before a group of dividing cells becomes a full term fetus ready to take it’s first breath on it’s own, after a journey down the birth canal.

Making it easier for women to prevent pregnancy altogether or to end it at the earliest possible point allows that every child eventually born is wanted.

#7585 purriwinkle, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  6. Morgotha

I've changed the emphasis in the quote you provided to highlight the word "may". In other words under Roe the state also may NOT prohibit abortion in the third trimester, allowing abortion for any reason up until the time of birth (like NY passed under Cuomo, unless I'm misremembering).

The point again is that the SC recognized the personhood of the babies in the third trimester, but did NOT deign to protect them at the Federal level. And no one is arguing that a mother should have to die during pregnancy, so the health of the mother is guaranteed.

I'm sorry for your friend's loss. I don't think there's a greater strain placed on the human body than pregnancy, and nature isn't perfect, some times tragic things happen. I'm glad she lived, and hope she was able to come to terms with her loss.

What governmental action IS impossible to reverse by a new government?

Jacoby and Meyers are a group of these personal injury lawyers you see on t.v. talking about how they got their unemployed-looking client millions. I'm not familiar with NY's t.v., but did a search for them in NY and they practice there, I figured they'd be on t.v. and recognizable there too. I basically meant bottom-feeders, LOL.

First, I'd agree that an illegal abortion is inherently more dangerous than a legal one done in a clinic. I'd also point out, however, that that's not the whole story as the table shows in 1972 (pre-Roe) there were also 24 *legal* abortion deaths in addition to the 39 illegal ones. So there is some risk, regardless. By contrast in 1979, there were NO deaths from illegal abortions but 22 from legal abortions. Does this mean legal abortion has become more dangerous than illegal abortion?

Seriously, I'd put most of the deaths on access to care in general. While Medicaid was technically passed in 1965, HCFA wasn't created until 1977 and pregnancy wasn't universally covered for those in poverty until the 1980's. The point being that compared to 1970 no matter what type of abortion someone has they have a much better chance of living through it now as if something goes South with the procedure they are guaranteed to receive care now whereas previously they weren't.

My point again wasn't that illegal abortions are as safe as legal ones, but that PP's saying "thousands" of women would be dying from illegal abortion is baloney. After looking at the numbers, I assume you'd agree.

The table of deaths per year again, multicolored, at the bottom of the article.

https://www.liveaction.org/news/abortion-numbers-today-before-roe-v-wade/[/QUOTE]

#7586 Morgotha, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  7. purriwinkle

First off, I’d ask you to which Gov. Cuomo you’re referring, but I realize you actually know very little about NY in general except what you read on the internet. Be careful of misinformation. You are mistaken in the belief that a woman in NY can receive an abortion FOR ANY REASON until birth.
    From a fact checking article:

We rate the claim in the Facebook post as PARTLY FALSE, based on our research. While it is true that New York's abortion law allows procedures after 24 weeks, there are rules guiding that procedure: if the fetus is not viable or if the health or life of the mother is at risk. If medical practitioners determine that either of these factors are present, the mother can choose to have an abortion.

New York's Reproductive Health Act allows practitioners to perform an abortion on a patient who is 24 weeks or more away from the start of a pregnancy if the fetus is not viable or the abortion is necessary "to protect the patient's life or health."
    The law does not define "health" or viability of a fetus. The determination of these factors must be made by a "health care practitioner licensed, certified, or authorized" under state law, "acting within his or her lawful scope of practice."

It is false to state or imply that any abortion can occur in New York "up until birth" as the social posts claims. That is misleading. Additionally, no state in the U.S. allows abortion "up until birth."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...not-allow-abortion-up-until-birth/3014473001/

This occurred a number of years ago, and I’ve since loss touch with her but as I remember it, there was sadness of course, but she had other older children. They had been looking forward to bringing home another little one but it wasn’t to be. This was when I was still going to church and since she was a better Christian than I, I’m sure she found some solace from her beliefs which in this case was as good a panacea as any.

I had no idea who they were. Must be from down state. What’s of interest in one region of NY is not necessarily of interest to the other regions of which there are many. I get your point here though, there’s bottom feeders everywhere, lol

Here’s the thing with those tables. They can only record those abortions, illegal or legal that are reported. Like the lax reporting and data keeping of current Covid cases, we really don’t know the true numbers so I question how accurate those numbers really are.

Since giving individual states the right to decide for themselves, we can only wait to see what happens. Right now in some states, nothing has been settled as judges block state laws from going into effect, etc.etc. Times have changed and it should be easier for women to gain access to work arounds if they can’t travel to a state where abortions are still legal. I even read some companies are giving their female employees time off and funds if they need to travel outside their state borders.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/abortion-travel-companies-paying-benefits-amazon-starbucks-target/

Look, if women want an abortion early in the game and they keep their mouths shut, no one will know if they’re traveling to Disney World for vacation, as they should tell everyone, or for an abortion if the woman can’t get one where she lives. And DON’T post anything on social media!!! The loose lips sink ships principe is imperative.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Florida

Of course, that’s only one example but demonstrates what can be done by individuals if necessary. Can’t travel? There’s the US mail to the rescue. We will never know the true numbers going forth concerning abortions accomplished but maternal death figures should be easy to track. That’s not something that can be kept secret.

#7587 purriwinkle, Jul 24, 2022
  8. Morgotha

C'mon, man! You know what Cuomo I'm referring to. What's next? Are you going to ask which Hillary I'm referring to?

Like I said, no one questions an abortion to save the *life* of the mother. The secret is in the part you posted allowing 3rd term abortions to protect the "health" of the mother.

What exactly IS the "health of the mother" that needs to be protected? The state didn't define it, which means the abortionist is the one who gets to decide if her health would be affected! Is not going to a concert because you're pregnant REALLY disastrous to your mental health? Nope, not much protection for the 9 month old in that law, I'm afraid.

Since we're pulling up pre-Roe stuff, as proof of this:

"“Until June 1970, almost 90% of abortions in New York were in fact certified as necessary to protect emotional health.”"

https://www.hli.org/resources/support-abortion-preserve-womans-mental-health/

All collections of data are suspect to some degree, and like you say, it's tougher to hide with maternal deaths. The point is though we have to make do with what we have available at the time. LOL, I remember when surgeons would discharge patients and then readmit them so that any complications weren't a part of their surgical admission - to keep their records clean. (The .gov got wise and stopped that though by giving a time window after procedures where any adverse event that occurs is considered to have been secondary to the procedure. Good job on that one, .gov!) Anyway, the point is that if the people doing the reporting have a vested interest in NOT reporting something, or in over-reporting something you kind of know in advance the data won't be "great", but you can still have a rough idea of what's going on. With the numbers we have available here, I think that's what we have: a general idea that women aren't going to by dying by the thousands because a SC stepped up to the plate and tried to fix their worst ruling of the 20th century.

#7588 Morgotha, Jul 24, 2022
  9. purriwinkle

Hey, I was just checking you out about the Cuomos, lol. As for your article, let’s just say it didn’t exactly come from a neutral source.

Why refer to medical practitioners as abortionists like that’s the only service they provide. How about Ob-Gyns which are licensed medical doctors for one.

*Abortions in New York can be performed by licensed physicians and some Advanced Practice Clinicians (APCs), including physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and licensed midwives.

These are educated and trained professionals who work with their patients to determine if an abortion is warranted after 24 weeks.

It’s also interesting to note:
    *If an attempted abortion results in the birth of a live infant, medical providers are required under state law to provide the necessary care to keep that child alive.

https://nynow.wmht.org/blogs/health/qa-new-yorks-abortion-laws-after-scotus-reversal-of-roe-v-wade/

Here’s something else to consider, the reality of the situation:

https://gothamist.com/news/nys-repr...ed-make-it-easier-get-late-abortions-it-hasnt

10. Morgotha

A black mark on the University of Michigan school of medicine. Graduating medical students can't even listen to a commencement speech given by someone with perspective other than their own? They and the school should be ashamed for releasing these people on to the public. I hate to think of how they will treat their patients whose views don't match theirs.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/universi...-speakers-keynote-address-white-coat-ceremony

11. Morgotha

12. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

13. Morgotha

His mug shot DOES look a bit like Robert Patrick, so if the next person they arrest looks suspiciously like Arnold Schwarzenegger we'll know it's really a government coverup.

The police just booked him on the stolen vehicle! Maybe a psych evaluation is in order as well.

Oh, and when he said the President told him to do it, do you think he meant Brandon, or Trump?

#7593 Morgotha, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  14. Morgotha

I never said the article was neutral, but the quote was, and the source material is referenced.

I think it's quite reasonable to refer to the abortion practitioner as an abortionist in this case. the reason being while many gyn-related providers might provide *some* abortion services, I'd bet effectively none of them provide very late term abortion services. That that type of thing is done by ... a select few? Not many women IMO have the stomach for holding a baby's head in during crowning to keep it from being delivered and jabbing a scissors into its head. I know I don't.

Also, IMO there are a few cases where a late-term abortion is understandable, btw. For example,, if the child has some defect that is incompatible with life, what is the point of adversely affecting the mother's health carrying it to term? Why give her that type of grief, false hope, and anxiety?

#7594 Morgotha, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  15. purriwinkle

Well, I assumed you would try for an article from a neutral source. You reject the findings from some sources I quote and I’m afraid I must return the favor.

Yes, some Ob-Gyn’s perform “late term” abortions but as I understand it they need special training for that type of procedure.

The partial birth abortion you describe in your second paragraph was ruled illegal in 2003.
    Public Law No: 108-105 (11/05/2003)
    (This measure has not been amended since the Conference Report was filed in the House on September 30, 2003. The summary of that version is repeated here.)

Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 - Amends the Federal criminal code to prohibit any physician or other individual from knowingly performing a partial-birth abortion, except when necessary to save the life of a mother whose life is endangered by a physical disorder, illness, or injury.

Defines a "partial-birth abortion" as an abortion in which the person performing the abortion: (1) deliberately and intentionally vaginally delivers a living fetus until, in the case of a head-first presentation, the entire fetal head is outside the mother's body, or, in the case of a breech presentation, any part of the fetal trunk past the navel is outside the mother's body; and (2) performs the overt act, other than completion of delivery, that kills the partially delivered living fetus.

Authorizes the father, if married to the mother at the time of the abortion, and the maternal grandparents of the fetus, if the mother is under 18 years of age, to obtain specified relief in a civil action, unless the pregnancy resulted from the plaintiff's criminal conduct or the plaintiff consented to the abortion.

Authorizes a defendant accused of an offense under this Act to seek a hearing before the State Medical Board on whether the physician's conduct was necessary to save the life of the mother.

Prohibits the prosecution of a woman upon whom a partial-birth abortion is performed for conspiracy to violate this Act or under provisions regarding punishment as a principal or an accessory or for concealment of a felony.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/108th-congress/senate-bill/3

From another source:
    *One method to finesse this challenge – partial-birth abortion, which involved delivering the child into the birth canal up to its shoulders and killing it through vacuuming out its brain and crushing its skull – was banned by Congress in 2003. The ban was upheld by the Supreme Court in Gonzales v. Carhart in 2007.

Late term abortions comprise a very small percentage of all abortions performed. I also read that these later term abortions are done differently now as to make sure the baby is dead before delivery begins by injecting the fetus with potassium chloride or digoxin.

Not nice either but as you suggest it makes sense in some scenarios.

C’mon. You knew all that. Why the inflammatory rhetoric?

I will agree that anyone who has to do any procedures either medical or dental on the public has got to learn to get past the “yuk” factor, and it’s a good thing too. There are quite a few procedures that would make many people feel a little faint if they had to watch or perform them, LOL.

16. Morgotha

I told you I wasn't offering it up as an article, but as the location of a quote - which they referenced. You don't want to read it? Don't.

That expressed Congressional outrage at what late-term abortionists were doing, but didn't stop the late-term abortions. They defined a "partial birth" abortion as delivering the "entire fetal head outside the mother's body", etc. This law therefore does NOT cover killing the infant BEFORE the entire head is delivered, as would be the case of someone holding the infant in so that the entire head was NOT beyond the woman's body and killing it. It also did NOT stop killing them by other means, such as injection. It *only* addressed stopping one repugnant practice when the public found out what was going on and were justifiably outraged. IMO, the fact that they had to do even that shows how little regard for the infants the practitioners in this field have. Can you imagine being a *doctor* and having a job where you partially deliver a healthy baby, cut its head off, put the body in a bucket with the others you've done that day to be given to Planned Parenthood for the extra money you'll get for the parts if it was healthy and throwing it in the medical waste bin if it wasn't, and moving on to your next case? I don't think I could drink enough to do that for a living. How soulless would you have to be do do that day after day, year after year?

You'll note the law also goes out of its way to make sure the mother won't be held accountable for the abortion. So. Plenty of loopholes for the doctor, guaranteed immunity for the patient. What could go wrong?

Eh, you hear of a few ways abortionists have "finished off" a delivered baby that didn't die like it was supposed to, and one starts to feel inflammatory things.

If someone has a gangrenous limb that needs attending to or a foul-smelling necrotic tumor that needs care? Those type of things have a "yuk" factor that one needs to get beyond. Deliberately killing babies? ... I dunno, I hope that's something most people don't just "get over" as something they do as a way to pay their rent and fill their car with gas.

Eh, who knows? Perhaps I'm being too sensitive and letting my personal feelings control my objectivity. Maybe a better way to look at this is from a societal perspective. A million more under cared for kids in the country every year? At least some of them will become criminals, and/or be costly to society in other ways, from welfare on up. Maybe what we should do is have the government provide abortion services 100% for free to anyone who wants it up to the time of birth, or even having a "trial period" after the baby's delivered? Define personhood legally as starting one month after delivery, and if the mother chooses to "abort" the child before that, fine. I'd bet overall society would save money. What do you think? With all the tissue sales, the program would probably turn a profit.

#7596 Morgotha, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  17. Morgotha

A man's life was saved because the man who was trying to murder him's gun jammed followed by the suspect running away. That's a great result for this victim, but remember this suspect was trying to shoot that man dead... for what? His wallet? I assume that once the criminal figures out how to use his gun he actually *will* kill someone as he was trying to pull the trigger here.

Maybe completely free and widespread abortion services ARE the way to go. Who knows, in a couple of decades maybe you wouldn't have to fear for your safety when you were putting gas in your car.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vega...ly-escapes-being-shot-after-suspects-gun-jams

#7597 Morgotha, Jul 26, 2022
  18. purriwinkle

Actually I did read your article but I also took note of who was behind it, which explained the content.

Do do you challenge the fact that abortions occurring after 24 weeks comprise only a small number of the total abortions? Why are we even emphasizing this unfortunate situation?

I would think by the third trimester, a woman should have been able to have had the procedure already but apparently there are cases that fall through the cracks or are performed for medical reasons, most notably due to defects of the fetus incompatible with life outside the uterus. I’m not particularly happy about this happening but I’m not going to judge others either. I would also be content if the mother had the infant delivered and they baptized it or whatever the hell they wanted to do and had a burial but I think it’s a private decision that should only be between the mother, her family and their medical practitioner. Above all else, compassion rather than condemnation would be the the way to proceed with all parties as I doubt it’s easy on anyone.

That’s why I’ve always been a big supporter of increased availability and decreased price of contraceptives. It should be mandatory for all insurance carriers to cover it. Accurate sex education should be mandatory for all students out of elementary school with a good dose of societal responsibility added in to the course outline. Morning after pills and early abortion should be easily obtained up to 15 weeks in all states. If they want to parse the rules re abortions after that time, have at it. Some states will allow it and some won’t. It should be easier for women to be able to travel to a state where it’s done still which is about where we’re at right now, except some states, IMO, are going way over board to make it overly cumbersome for their residents.

No woman should be forced to carry a baby she doesn’t want nor a baby be born into a household that finds the child a burden. Abortion has always been with us since the beginning of time. I prefer it to infanticide which is still practiced in some parts of the world but we as a nation have the means to prevent all of this if our country had the national will to prioritize contraception in the first place. We need federal guide lines and Roe was the next best thing.

You’re right that we can’t absorb a glut of unwanted babies economically if for no other reason. And so what if a woman wants to donate her fetal tissue for medical purposes. The absence of life whether it be early or after many years, has seen people donate their corporal remains to science all the time. Sure saves on the funeral costs. :rolleyes: I really wish people would stop trying to force their beliefs on others and keep their nose out of other peoples private business. How simple is that?

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aaw6299

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-human-fetal-tissue-research-why-is-it-done-2020-10

#7598 purriwinkle, Jul 26, 2022
  19. Morgotha

The number of times police interact with black people is in the millions yearly, and yet people of all races began burning, looting, and committing acts of violence over George Floyd's death. Why did one unfortunate case get emphasized so? Same thing here, I'd imagine, however I doubt any of the doctors involved will end up in jail, unlike the 4 police officers who ended up in prison over Floyd.

I agree -- assuming we aren't talking about an otherwise healthy late term infant.

Federal law would be a good thing. We don't need a bad SC ruling as that then becomes a foundation for other bad SC rulings to stand upon.

As a society, do we want to use fetal remains for scientific purposes? The ethics to me seem the same as was the case with data from Nazi experiments. The damage has already been done, why not gain something from it? I'd rather not have this be legal. Peope shouldn't be encouraged to kill each other for profit.

Also, fetal parts are worth money, and I don't like the current model where the people counseling girls to have abortions are the same people people profiting from selling those fetal remains.

On the keeping your nose out of others' private business, where do you stop with that? Should "street" drug manufacture and use be legalized? Selling one's own organs for money? Should *anything* that is personal business be allowed, or is the government allowed to say that some things are just to repugnant for society to accept?

O.k., back to reality from the "increase abortion to decrease subsequent crime" tangent, I guess what I dread coming to pass and that I think could be an actual thing in the near future is having researchers and physicians wanting to use specific set of fetal genetic tissue to treat a specific problem, and at the same time right now DNA registries could be used to cheaply and quickly screen adult women for the expected fetal tissue they could produce. So say someone like Bill Gates or some evil pant-suited woman needs said fetal tissue for some life-improving treatment. If it is legal to pay people for fetal tissue do you think there might be women who might be willing to take an ovulatory drug (to produce as many eggs as possible at once), conceive and abort a fetus if the payment for trying was on the order of several million dollars in their pocket? I can see it, and I don't like it. In the "keep Roe" protests a couple of months ago, women were at the SC shouting "we are not your incubators". I'm afraid that if tomorrow we'll see the women that were in that protest checking 23andMe to see what their payout would be for just a teensy bit of work.

Now this may be irrelevant. Stable fetal cell lines might be good enough for future medical purposes... but I doubt that'll be true any time soon. If you have a problem *now* and need bone marrow, you need a *match*. New heart? You can't just have anyone's. If you need an organ, are rich, and need an *exact* match, right now...

LOL! I can worry about anything. Hmm... thinking about it though, they *are* mostly rational worries.;):D

#7599 Morgotha, Jul 26, 2022
  20. purriwinkle

Oh for Christ’s sake, do you live on the moon? You know very well why people went ape shit over George Floyd’s death BECAUSE the murderous actions of Chauvin were recorded
    for all the world to witness. A similar push for civil rights occurred after the torture and murder of Emmett Till when his mother insisted on an open casket for photographs to be taken and the public to see for themselves what those scumbag red necks did to her son.

Let’s see some footage of the gruesome abortions you claim are going on. When it makes the national news, I’ll take a look for myself as I assume law enforcement agencies tasked with upholding the law will do for themselves. If it comes to it, let a trial be held to see if those responsible will be held accountable. Derek Chauvin had his day in court and he was found GUILTY of murder.

WTF are you even talking about? It’s old news that after some bogus videos of PP supposedly selling fetal parts was found to have no basis, the Texas AG indicted two anti-abortion activists instead.
    https://www.npr.org/2016/01/28/4645...ood-investigations-find-no-fetal-tissue-sales

Do you have new evidence? New footage? I have no patience for conspiracy theories but those within the AMA have heard those concerns and an ethical code for those dealing with fetal tissues has been proffered:
    https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/ethics/research-using-human-fetal-tissue

Fetal tissue has been used successfully for:
    Life-saving advances, including the development of vaccines against rubella, rabies, and hepatitis A viruses, and antiviral drugs that prevent HIV/AIDS, required fetal tissue research. Today, fetal tissue is being used to develop new medicines including vaccines for HIV/AIDS, preventives for Zika virus, and immunotherapies to battle untreatable cancers.
    https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aaw6299

So yes, if a woman can not or will not carry a child, why can’t society use these discarded embryos and early fetal tissues for the benefit of human kind. In a way, those lost beings termination would not be in vain. On the other end of life, I know someone who has willed their body upon death to science to be used as a medical cadaver to train medical students.

IMO, the Nazis tortured living, breathing people, including children because they were racist sociopaths bent on genocide. Again, I would suggest there’s a hell of a difference between a 12 -15 week old fetus developing in a uterus and a birthed person who is already living their life as independent beings.

There are definitely things in this life that have been proven to be detrimental. Society sanctions some of those things, such as cigarettes, alcoholic beverages or gambling for example, even cannabis now. It’s up to the adult individual to see that they don’t misuse or over indulge with these things. Many people however have trouble with impulse control, I guess, and get drunk, or gamble their pay check away, or smoke so much they end up with a debilitating disease or death. Even donating an organ to someone in need is considered honorable or heroic. I don’t think it’s legal to sell an organ for profit in this country but I have no idea if there’s a black market for it. Why don’t we get rid of social media while we’re at it. Some people have trouble determining fact from fiction. It can lead to an insurrection against our government based on lies and just plain fiction.

OTOH while the government can and does put restrictions on certain behaviors and substances, no one is going to say John Doe can’t go to the pub every week to get pie-eyed. Well, they tried with prohibition but look how that turned out. It’s good that there are some restrictions but the main focus of gov. Agencies like a police force rests on punitive actions should someone’s bad behavior infringe on someone else. Otherwise it’s a private matter. Besides, I thought the GOP decried a nanny state. o_O

And maybe the Earth becomes so over populated that the government will encourage people to voluntarily end their lives. Then their bodies will be made into a substance that the rest of the population can use as food….wait! I’ve seen that movie! LOL

Look, we’ll all be dead due to climate change and/or international conflict or new viruses anyways before a scenario like you describe happens. ;) LOL Actually, that might really occur if the forests burn, natural water sources dry up, grain can’t be shipped to countries that rely on it or someone launches a nuke. What if the mid west experiences another dust bowl and we don’t eat….and all those extra mouths to feed…*shakes head* increasing crime might indeed become a problem. Hell, if the earth’s temperature gets any hotter in the summer months than it has been already….I don’t want to think about it, but maybe a raging pandemic that we can’t use fetal tissue to help us with treatments and vaccines will wipe out a good portion of the population…but all those babies growing up with shrinking resources….You have your “rational” worries and I’ll have mine.:cool::D

#7600 purriwinkle, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1