Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Last of Us

Discussion in 'The Last of Us News' started by lastcat3, Aug 1, 2021.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn’t have liked that either. Hope this show continues to hold your interest. Viewers here seem to give it high praise.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Their promotional campaign was very good too. The trailer was one of the best I've ever seen for a new series. And now word of mouth is drawing more people in.

3. Stealth

Yeah, like I said in a previous post so far there's only one scene I really didn't like. But this happens with any show. There were things in House of the Dragon I didn't like either, like not focusing a bit more on Rhaenyra and Harwin, or Daemon and Laena. But I'm pretty confident about this first season because all of the reviews are based on 9 episodes. They allowed reviewers to watch the whole season in advance.

4. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Last of Us has been renewed for a second season already.

'The Last of Us' Renewed for Season 2 at HBO - Variety

Mazin has said that he will only adapt the games. It will be interesting though to see what HBO does with the franchise if the viewership continues to be this good as there would be no way they would want to just stop after two or three seasons.

It's likely that Naughty Dog will release a part 3 so they could adapt that game eventually but will HBO do a Fear the Last of Us? Lol.

If they do they should just call it Fear the Last of Us.

5. Stealth

I thought episode 3 was extremely well written. It was a deviation from the game in that we missed out on a number of action sequences that occurred in Bill's town. He was alive when Joel and Ellie arrived, but Frank was dead.

They executed this one well from start to finish, and I liked how they worked Joel and Ellie in.

My only reason for pause is that this is a very fast paced season with the final 6 episodes covering the remaining events in the game. So it feels as if they spent a bit too much time on Bill's story with all of this ground to cover.

A very good episode but I'm not sure how well it fits until I see the rest of the season.

6. lastcat3

Yeah it was a really good episode and did a great job encompassing an entire relationship within a single episode.

I hear ya about wondering with only six episodes left and them still on the outskirts of Boston what the pace of the rest of the season will be like. Believe it or not though

And Spoilers for the rest of the season and the game so if you aren't familar with the story you might not want to read beyond this point

The first game wasn't a very long story at all. I think including gameplay most people could beat it within twelve to fifteen hours.

With the game after they leave Bill's they go to Pittsburgh (where they meet Henry and Sam) and then the next part of the story is all the way in Wyoming (the game does a bit of a timeskip so at least in the story it took them several months to get there but it is the next stopping point for the game).

I could see the show spending episode four and five on the Henry and Sam story. Then an episode in the Jackson area. Ep's 7 through 9 could cover the Colorado and the David material with finally getting to Salt Lake City (with flashbacks to Ellie and Riley) and then the last ten to fifteen minutes of the final episode they could head back to Jackson and have their final scenes.

7. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I think this episode is a little long and dragging.
    I mean, this is basically a bottle episode for Bill and Frank. What I would do is to spend half the episode time on them and then the other half time on the story of that black woman (her dress on the ground implies she was murdered by the government even though she was not infected).
    My point is:- the loyalty between Bill and Frank can be contrasted sharply with the cheating/betrayal of the government on her citizens (characterized by the black woman) who trust in her.

BTW, since I have not played the game, I did not know what will happen when Bill met Frank. I was thinking, maybe Frank was a bad guy, pretending to be good. When Frank, sort of, seemed to make an excuse of not leaving by playing the piano and then asked Bill to sit down and play, the camera zooms in on the big head shot of Bill playing piano and singing, I thought:- Oh no! the next scene will be Bill's head being smashed by Frank....lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stealth

We'll see how it goes but this episode opens it up to second guessing overall. Originally I thought the first game could've easily been broken down into 2 seasons.

If you're going to spend this much time on Bill's backstory, then they should've done the same for Tess. Basically my outline at this point would be the premiere as it was, then two episodes of Boston QZ/Statehouse. And I really believe they missed an opportunity of making the whole Bill and Frank story even better if they had been alive for when Joel and Ellie arrived. You get all that interaction between the characters and then after Joel and Ellie left you could've had the suicide scene. So that could've been two episodes taking us through # 5 instead of #3.

My point is if you want brisk pacing, fine, that's the choice for your series. But if you stop like this and then don't do the same throughout some of the audience is going to feel like they're missing the journey a bit. For instance I was fine with Tess going quickly, because it roughly mirrors the game, but now it feels as if we were a bit short changed.

I think they should've stopped this season upon them reaching Tommy. Then Season 2 could work in the remaining events of Game # 1 while introducing the Game 2 characters that will impact Season 3.

They made it sound like it was a strict adaptation of the game, so I was more lenient in terms of the narrative then, but now they expanded on Bill. Supposedly in the game Frank hated him in the end, so they added content for the TV side. I'm not critical of that, it was better I think, but I feel the same should be done to the rest of the story.

9. Stealth

In the game we never see Frank. He's dead when Joel and Ellie get there. Then they have interactions with Bill. Frank did commit suicide though.

Your reaction is interesting because I'm seeing the same from some others who haven't played the game. Having understanding for Bill's Town, put me in a bit of a different spot than someone else coming in fresh.

As I mentioned in my previous post I thought they could've interwoven this whole story better in two episodes where Joel and Ellie were more prominent, and they had interactions with Bill and Frank. It's unusual to give two characters that exit their own episode. It was very well written but from what many are saying I think they took a lot of people out of the main story.

10. Stealth

I thought episode 4 was the weakest one so far. At this point in the game they're only in Pittsburgh, but on the show they are in Kansas City. And while the location for the events is not too important, Ellie mentioned that it was her second day in the car, and somehow they had managed to teleport all the way from Massachusetts to Kansas City. That would be incredible time in today's world, let alone an apocalypse where the roads are damaged and blocked. To make matters worse Ellie explains that they keep stopping for gas. So yeah, Pittsburgh would've made more sense than halfway across the country.

Apparently the first time they reached a blocked road was Kansas City too. For all it's flaws at least early TWD recognized that it's not easy to get from place to place. The Last of Us though, unlike the Walking Dead, recognized that gas does degrade. I think though the ability to travel so far, so quickly, is a much greater flaw overall.

I would've liked to see a bit more action, and tension, from the scene where they were ambushed. The Joel and Ellie scenes though were all very good.

Aside from teleportation, my biggest problem with the episode was the new group. The whole scene with the doctor was ridiculous. The leader asks if the wounded person could be helped by the doctor. When she's told no, she goes back and shoots him. Good thing they'll never have need for a physician again.

And if the point was to make her a psycho, then she shouldn't have shown all that emotion with him when they first spoke. I'd say her role is miscast, but it might be doing the actress a discredit because her part wasn't written very well.

Having played the game it feels as if the showrunners are just rushing the characters to the endpoint rather than taking a true literal, and figurative, journey. We would've been better served with seeing Joel and Ellie travel across the country and slowly bond as they face small challenges. This is content they could've expanded on, just as they did with Bill and Frank. I want that level of writing throughout too.

I was surprised that Mazin wrote Episode 4. It's well beneath the quality he brought to episodes 1 and 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blueman

Totally agree even though I have not played the game.

Regarding the long distance, it must be because thus fits the purpose of the plot. Is it possible that Bill has stored up a lot of gasoline for Joel? Could it be that the truck, when leaving Massachusetts, did not only have a full tank of gas but also many bottles of gasoline in the back. If so, this might explain that Joel/Ellie can travel very far before needing to stop to find gas?

And yes, I would like to see an episode of having Joel/Ellie face some challenges on the way to develop the bond. Maybe 2 incidents (half an episode each) are good. And, it is a little odd that there seemed to have nothing happen on the road between MA and Kansas City.

BTW, can someone explain the joke that made Joel laughed near the end?
    I could not hear well the dialogue. What was so funny?

#51 Blueman, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  12. lastcat3

It was still a good episode but I agree it was the weakest of the four released so far. It was the first episode of the series so far that felt like it needed an additional episode to feel complele. As far as the amount of time it took to get to KC from Boston yep Ellie does say while looking at the map in KC that she has only been in the truck for two days and while it isn't out of the realm of possibility it would still be booking it considering if you google it it says it would take 21 hours to get there. In order to get there in two days time they definitely couldn't have come across any big obstacles along the way. And since the show already mentioned the gas didn't last that long I guess we would have to assume Joel got quite a stock of gas at the beginning of the trip when that scene took place. On the podcast Mazin and Druckman mentioned they chose KC because it would have been easier to turn Calgary into KC than Pittsburgh.

Based on what happened in this episode I am beginning to think they might skip the Colorado section of the game......................

Spoilers for those who havn't played the game,

In the game once they leave this section of the game they go to Jackson and then Tommy sends them to Colorado where that college scene happens at. It is there that they discover everyone has left for Salt Lake City. Based on the fact that Joel and Ellie are starting to bond a little earlier in the show than they did in the game (in the game they didn't really start bonding until the Colorado section) they very well may just skip that part (they could just as easily run into David's group somewhere in Wyoming). If they are going to skip the Colorado section it could make the pacing make more sense. We'll have to see how it goes.

Kathleen definitely feels like she needs another episode for her story to feel complete. I'm assuming that this rebellion group just recently won their war against Fedra and are still largely acting like they are still in a war. And while Kathleen seems like she might be able to rally people to the 'cause' she also might not be the best person to start a new government behind. She seems to still be lashing out against the people who 'hurt her/or might have 'hurt' her than she is in trying to actually build something stable. The themes of people eventually becoming just as bad as the ones who oppressed them is a major thing that was explored in the second game and for this show they seem to be bringing that into the story of the first game.

13. lastcat3

It's beginning to look like this show might end up being even more popular than House of Dragons. They released the viewership numbers for episode 4 for Sunday night and it was 7.5 million (up from 6.4 million for episode 3). That's actually the largest increase so far (even larger than for episode 2). About a week ago they mentioned that the total average viewership for the first two episodes was 21.3 million.

Will definitely be interesting to see what they end up doing with this IP. They are mentioning that the second game would likely be split into two seasons but if the viewership ends up staying anywhere near this good HBO definitely isn't going to want to just drop this IP.

Also they are going to release Episode 5 on Friday evening on HBO Max because the Super Bowl is this coming Sunday.

#53 lastcat3, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  14. Stealth

I believe Ellie said that they had stopped multiple times to get more gas, so that would've made the trip even longer with all those stops to siphon it into cans.

The joke she told was "Why is diarrhea hereditary?" And the punchline was "it runs in your jeans."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stealth

I think the episode would've been better served focusing on Henry and Sam. My guess is their story is resolved in the next episode, and that's a shame since they had Episode 4 to give us some background on them instead of the KC group that I couldn't care less about. Showing those two and flipping back between them and Joel/Ellie would've been perfect, until both duos collided.

While I can understand why they didn't do Pittsburgh, because it's very distinct with all the rivers and has hilly terrain, they could've done something like Columbus, Ohio instead. That's flatter and less identifiable and it wouldn't have slipped into the realm of unbelievability that they traveled that distance in 1+ days.

While I'm not one that feels shows need a strict adaptation from the source material, I feel this has reached a point where it could be call more inspired from, than fully adapted from the game. They're leaving out key elements and rushing to the finish.

It's also problematic when you present an extremely well written and detailed story in Episode 3, but then in episodes 2 and 4 you're provide more of a surface level story.

For example I thought the Negan episode that TWD did in those bonus episodes (showing his backstory) was one of the best written and executed stories they ever had. It's certainly the highest quality they produced in their later seasons. But it further puts a spotlight on things when you routinely come up short.

16. Stealth

Episode 5 was the best one since the premiere. While I think we should've seen Henry and Sam in Episode 4, I believe their story here was well told. I really liked how Joel was protecting Ellie, taking out the infected that were around her with the sniper's rifle. I knew Henry and Sam's deaths were coming, but they were still the most impactful ones since Joel's daughter in episode 1.

I like that any altercation with the infected usually results in dire consequences. They are more something you want to try and avoid when possible.

The first appearance of a Bloater was done well. I never expected that when I first saw one on screen I'd be on its side, but I loved seeing it tear apart that group. And I did laugh out loud when the baby clicker flew in the air and killed the ridiculous leader. Good stuff.

I'm looking forward to the reunion with Tommy in Episode 6. I wish they had expanded this season and had it end with Tommy. They could've easily ended at that point by doing more on Tess early on and expanding Bill/Frank into two episodes. Unfortunately I think we'll just be with Tommy briefly in 6 before moving onto the David story in the 7th episode.

17. Blueman

The ending came as a surprise when Sam got bitten and turned overnight and was shot by Henry who then killed himself!

This is basically another bottle episode (much like Bill/Frank story), pretty well done!

Looking forward to the next story.

18. lastcat3

Yeah this was perhaps the best episode of the series thus far. I continue to be mightily impressed over just how well they are expanding on the story from the game.

And with the infected being a lot tougher to kill than they ever were in the game explains how they can use them sparsely but it would still be believable that they could wipe out civilization. Basically in the show when the infected show up you best just run whereas in the game the humans were actually harder to kill than most of the infected.

@Stealth this episode also kind of explained how Joel and Ellie were able to get to KC in just about two days time. If the infected are this tough and they are largely centered around cities that likely means that most of the cities in this universe are probably abandoned. I would imagine the majority of the survivors in the shows world are spread out across the U.S. in country settlements where the infected largely wouldn't be.

19. Blueman

Does the game explain or give hint how FEDRA at KC was successful to drive the infected to the underground and to contain them there?

20. lastcat3

No. In the game all the hunters in the Henry and Sam section are just NPC's that are there just to fight. Basically if you want some sense of story about them you have to read the notes that you can find. And even then I believe it is just the vague 'group overthrew Fedra'. In the game Fedra had been gone for a couple years whereas in the show it has only been a couple weeks.

They also changed Henry and Sam's backstory in the show. In the game they were just traveling through the city just like Joel and Ellie were (it was Pittsburgh in the game). I believe they were trying to meet up with some other people and the other people never made it.

As far as the infected go them being driven underground is a show only thing. In the game the infected are put sporadically around the map to fight just like NPC's are. They aren't this unbeatable force like they are in the show. The show is doing this to avoid turning it into a hack and slash gore fest like TWD turned into where they basically turned the characters into Marvel characters instead of just regular people trying to survive.