Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Face Eating...munch munch

Discussion in 'Episode 209 - Triggerfinger' started by Jakobi, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Man that guy who Hershel shot sure got his, the guy who was in grass. I thought that was pretty brutal and was pretty cool. I think the walker gnawed off his nose lol.

2. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

This episode had some really great zombie scenes. The walker trying to get to Lori through the windshield was one of my favorites of the series. (too bad he didn't gnaw faster ;) ) Up there with bicycle girl, little girl with slippers and well walker. And the tension of the zombie invasion during the Randall incident was fantastic. I hope they keep up this pace. Zombie fun, stranger danger, and character development CAN be had in the same episode. Maybe they need to get Joss Whedon to write.

3. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

It was good to see the walkier threat increasing. For a while there that farm and that town felt like the safest place in the world... but you know.. the walker numbers have only been growing while they have been sitting there all safe and sound, and eventually everywhere will be overrun.

4. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Between the windshield face pealer and the guy losing his nose, this episode definitely had some great Nicotero effects. All the face mutilations reminded me of his work on Rickles' death in Day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-NwHtGJdpc

5. marsyao

marsyao Member

After watching this episode, I watched Andrew Zimmern's "Bizare Food: Detroit", in which some dudes invited Andrew to a BBQ, and they roast an entire pig head in the oven, then they teared skin and meat from that pig head and ate it, well, there are far less difference between us and walker than we believe

6. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

The walker scenes were pretty good in this episode, I agree. I just hope they keep them coming.

#6 Duzy, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  7. C-Tac

C-Tac Member

Awesome practical effects in this series. Just as good or better than any full length feature film. I'm not sure if they even use much cgi. I know when Glenn knocked off the head of the walker in the pharmacy, that had to of had cgi effects used in it. But they aren't going over board with it. Just using it in perfect balance with practical, real, special effects.

8. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Yes. I never really got why the farm was so safe. There are walkers everywhere around there. In great numbers apparently. What? Did Hershel post a 'no zombie trespassing' sign or something? Because they don't even have a garden fence to keep out rabbits for god's sake. They are always out making noise, cooking food, riding horses... The zombies must be politely adhering to Hershel's posted signs. It's all I can think of.

9. akurei00

akurei00 Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. In the comic...
    But omitting that changes the logic of everything. Why has Hershel's farm been so damn desolate of zombies?

10. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

Wasnt it surrounded by swampy areas that zombies got stuck in the mud frequently ?

11. padawanne

padawanne Member

I really like the zombie who was eating its way through the windshield. :zombies_lol:

12. Canadian36

Canadian36 Member

They should all be carrying a handgun. that way if they got cornered and had no possible way of escape they could just shoot themselves. Alternatively have a cyanide capsule. But that might be too complicated and risky, like if it broke by accident, could be deadly. But if they kept it in a small metal case it could work. Or they could learn how to commit harry carry in the traditional samuri fashion.

13. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

Cyanide or stabbing themselves in the gut would just cause them to become zombified.
    Bullet up the chin is a much better idea.

14. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

I think the farm was safe because of luck + swamp. Otis and Hershel had been retrieving stuck walkers for some time, and they were lucky enough not to get any serious herds coming in their direction (possibly because the herds mostly seem to follow the highway). But their luck can't hold...

15. highway234

highway234 Member

I dunno, i continue to think we're supposed to find something mysterious or quasi-mystical in how the farm was kept safe and that some sort of moral failing led them to become vulnerable to the walkers. i felt like the writers were going for something biblical, putting us in mind of the garden of eden, man's fall from grace and all that.

16. apiratesaysarrr

Do your best, I mean VERY best to explain this so that it makes sense and why. I don't care how long it is. I just need to know why you've said this twice and I still don't get it. Maybe an elaborate explanation would help me, I don't know. And then can you tie any of this in with the rest of the show as far as religious themes? Because if not, then I highly doubt this theory is correct or even close. So give me something here, please?

17. highway234

highway234 Member

Well, Hershel's religion and his bible figure pretty heavily. And think about what happens when Rick and the group come to the house. Hershel and his family are humming along pretty nicely, but suddenly the farm becomes a place of moral failing, with Hershel relapsing, the group torturing Randall, Shane plotting to kill Rick, basically, like the snake in the garden of eden story, the group turns the farmhouse into a place where everyone is lying to everyone else, they upset the ethical equilibrium that hershel and his family had set up up to that point.

But really the main thing is that there IS no satisfying textual explanation for why the farmhouse is walker-free for so long, which makes me want to search for a symbolic or subtextual reason.

It's funny because when i first saw the scene i felt this idea so viscerally, that there was a morality-play aspect to the farmhouse getting overrun, that it never even occurred to me that folks were thinking of it as just some random incident. it has much more emotional impact with my reading, in my humble opinion. but even that reading isn't as good as the one my friend came up with, the idea that keeping the walkers in the barn was what was protecting the farmhouse, because that creates such a multi-layered irony, with hershel's apparently reckless but ethical decision to keep the walkers around actually becoming a good deed that sort-of is naturally rewarded, and shane's attempting to protect the farm actually being what dooms it, because what he did seemed like the right thing to do from a practical point of view, but was much more ethically questionable.

(I wanna add i'm not coming up with these readings because I'M religious -- I'm not, particularly -- but the writers do seem to spend a lot of time dealing with ethical dilemmas, should they search for sofia? should they let randall go or kill him? was shane right in sacrificing otis to save carl? which is another reason why I'm hesitant to think the farm getting overrun was just random. everything for these writers is about making difficult decisions, and these decisions having surprising or unpredictable consequences.)

#17 highway234, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  18. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

I should probably feel bad about eating BBQ ribs while watching TWD. But it just seems like a nice, shared experience - enjoying meat. So what if they prefer theirs still alive and screaming and I prefer mine dead, hung, salted, smoked then simmered in sauce? It's still meat.

But I've killed my own dinner before, so I don't have any illusions about where meat comes from.

I had thought it likely that Rick would give that guy a head shot, at least to discourage more walkers from heading their way. That guy will certainly end up a crawler, if there's even enough of him left to turn.

19. apiratesaysarrr

I mean, that's kinda smart and cool to come up with something like that. I just don't think it's the case. I think the farm wasn't run over sooner because it was convenient to the plot. Was it odd that there weren't a few walkers on the property? Yeah. There was the well-walker. But really, the house is so far away from the city and major population that it probably would be pretty okay for a while, anyway. I don't know about several months, but whatever. (and I'm not talking about from the time they got there, I'm talking about since the time that Jenner indicated the outbreak began)