Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did you change your mind about Morgan?

Discussion in 'Episode 604 - Here's Not Here' started by and138, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Vak277

Vak277 New Member

No way

I haven't watched last week's episode because I can't stand Morgan. I refuse to watch a 90 min episode dedicated to him.

2. Brother AJ

Brother AJ New Member

LOL! Wow, that's like a fundamentalist level of hatred. These responses sure are fascinating if not disconcerting to see. It's hard to understand the level of vitriol this character gets simply for being compassionate. Or maybe you hate him for a different reason? Either way, I've definitely seen this before in fandoms where the "pacifistic" character gets all this venom spewed at them, and I can only imagine it's because they see it as an attack on their own morals and sensibilities. Perhaps some could learn to take these characters less personally?

3. swscully

swscully Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIwK7nykfCQ

4. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

#144 Benrai2k, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  5. Vak277

Vak277 New Member

After watching the show for so long, it's hard not to get a little emotionally invested in the story and characters. The reason for my hatred towards Morgan is because he's endangering everyone in his group because of his pacifist viewpoint.

• Like Like x 1
  6. swscully

swscully Member

'little boy'.... Im hurt. Im sure others are watching, and laughing, cause its hilarious.

7. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Active Member

Exactly. He is essentially moving from Cult A to Cult B (to their full extreme); one that kills directly and the other that refuses to kill directly, but ends up causing more deaths than the former. One murderer (old morgan) is always less dangerous than a pacifist who lets multiple murderers go free. It also demonstrates that, just like moving from one cult to another, he's robotically following the leader's orders, leaving his personal principles, common sense, rationality and logic as an individual behind. This is the antonym of growth. Similarly, the practice of "all life is precious" has the inverse effect on preservation of life.

8. AnnieOakley

"Morgan is at the extreme end of things. Rick is not extreme, Rick is very balanced out considering what he has to deal with and protect. What was Rick ever done that is extreme?

When has Rick ever killed anyone other than in self defense or the defense of others, even if taking the offensive to eliminate a serious threat that could harm his people? Everybody that Rick killed had to be killed, not even debatable. His errors have included being far too soft in some cases and that got people killed. They wouldn't have lost the Prison had he just killed the Governor, going on the offensive after they retreated or orchestrating an assault during the negotiations as per Merle's suggestions.

The Prison was arguably far more secure than Alexandria, it took a tank to really compromise it. Alexandria will be compromised by far less.

Rick's as altruistic as it's going to get in a ZA."

Perfectly said.

9. AnnieOakley

Brilliant post.

10. AnnieOakley

One of the greatest insights to this character's actual self, and not people commenting on him being "peaceful", when he was clearly living atop a facade.

11. AnnieOakley

You sincerely are not fit to comment in a TV show forum if you are unable to talk about fictional characters without it causing you psychological damage. Perhaps you'd be better off discussing your issues with television shows in a forum about psychology or a support group. It's not the appropriate place to go on an Atlas Shrugged-length PC crusade about psychology; you take such serious offense to people discussing fictional characters' psyches that you write unreadably long and irrelevant posts that no one is likely to read. If you're so distressed something this trivial, it stands to reason "you've got the wrong number". So please hang up and try again. If you need help, dial 911.

12. Brian and Pris

Morgan...hmm

Moragn was better when he was mysterious. He was more interesting when we didn't know how he got where he was. I think we often times forget how powerful mystery is in story telling. As a kid I thought Wolverine was super cool largely because they left his back story out. As they revealed more...he became less intriguing. It's the same with the old Hitchcock style of scary movie making. We all remember the shower-kill scene but forget a thousand other horror movie deaths. Allowing the mind of the individual to roam and ponder and finish the scene is powerful.

Now that we have Batman Morgan - because it seems very Batman Begins - I am inclined to pick apart the concept in a way I never would have if it had been left mysterious. 604 was a well done episode in terms of acting, directing and artsy-fartsiness but I think it is a case where it actually is counterproductive to his character.

I could of course be totally wrong but that's how I see it.

13. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Your last point here is an excellent one, thanks for posting it!

I agree with it 100%. Like anything when quantity becomes too overbearingly large, the quality drops.

You simply cannot help everyone. Some are incorrigible in their ways - "all life is precious" is a ridiculous and simple minded concept, despite the pseudo-intellectual pretentiousness of many pacifists/humanists.

14. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Welcome to planet Earth. As we talk about fictional characters evolving to their reality, maybe there is something you can take from that.

Lol, typical.

1. Pacifism is unnatural to human nature, logic and instinct. In fiction where society breaks down and raw survival is happening, pacifism is certain death. Thus why nobody likes these characters, the characters are indirect antagonists.

Eastman's bit about humans not naturally being meant to kill is wrong on every level(scientific fact will back that up) and his example about PTSD soldiers has more to do with simply killing and life and death. Add in social conditioning and other stresses. Some people are affected massively by stuff other people don't bat an eye lash over.

I know a guy who had PTSD over a car crash where nobody got injured but the cars were mangled, it just was frightening to him.

2. The person taking things personally here is you. You took attack on the characters to a new level of PC-police victim mentality.

15. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Well, I am still waiting to see if Morgan turns his Wolf over to Rick and Carol before forming an opinion on Morgan. I seem to be about the only one in that regard.

16. Brian and Pris

I really doubt he would turn over the wolf dude to carol. He knows that's a death sentence, but if he did that would show a darker side to him - which would be very interesting.

17. MurakumoTsurugi

MurakumoTsurugi New Member

I always liked Morgan. I'm sure that he will snap out of this and go back to clearing soon anyway.

18. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

^ See if he was balanced and not a maniac he could "clear" when necessary and be humane when necessary. Plus they need to use his spear traps, he was rather creative in making walker defenses and he's got skills.

19. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

From my perspective it would be responsible and realistic for Morgan to turn his Wolf over to the group. He has the right to his ideals as far as they pertain to himself; has no right to endanger the group by keeping them uninformed, regardless of how well he has secured the jail.

But I am still in the dark about what Morgan did once he heard Rick's voice. His presence at the compound is known, yet there was no mention of Morgan in 605. So I am leaving open the possibility that Rick does know about the Wolf, and maybe brought Carol in to help with security.

20. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

^ Morgan was present in 6x05, in a brief scene. Rick gave him some instructions along with the rest and Morgan acknowledged them.

You are correct about him having the right to his beliefs but keeping the Wolf hidden is deceitful and dangerous to the group. He has to turn him over to have any credibility at all here, if he does not then it clarifies everything we have talked about in relation to his mental issue's and lack of ability to be rational.