Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[701] Complaints and Criticisms!

Discussion in 'Episode 701 - The Day Will Come When You Won't Be' started by Neuropyramidal, Oct 19, 2016.

1. limitedtime

limitedtime New Member

my complaint, negan is overacting. a true psychopath would not have to try so hard. he seems to try to hard. and i think a real psychopath would have made rick cut off his kids hand and also immediately shot Daryl in the head after he was struck....if those things took place, then i would be more convinced he was a true psychopath

2. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

Not really complaints but a few things i think could've been done better.

1) Daryl punching Negan and causing Glenn's death to me seemed like a bad move. I mean Daryl had already gotten 4 of them captured and now caused one of their deaths. I wanted the deaths to be Negan's decision. Like he kills Abraham and then just doesn't feel satisfied and decided he needed to kill 1 more. But oh well guess we will have to see Daryl feeling guilty for another death,

2) The throwing Rick to the walkers seemed too crazy if Negan truly wanted to keep rick alive which i'm guessing he did since he saved him. I just think some of the saves were too close of calls to be realistic. All the walkers that got a hold of Rick's feet and none of them bit him? Just didn't make sense to do it that way. I did think it was a great thing when Rick 1st tries to open the door to get back in the RV and Negan had locked it. That was a good joke by Negan to mind F rick even further.

3. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Very good point about Daryl getting people in trouble to begin with. I think he was hot-headedly reacting to Denise's death at the time. But that was a shock death. Daryl should have been feeling guilty before the Lucille deaths. He brought his little group right into the hands of Negan's group.

4. WebbieD

WebbieD Member

I wanted to love it but I think they just unnecessary went overboard on the bat hit violence/ gore and in killing off 2 main characters. Just didn't need that much visual and since this show already had the numbers they did not need the cheap shot. The best I could say about it is, JDM is indeed a good actor but I had already thought that from the cliffhanger and thank god for the cliffhanger because I am not sure I would of been back this season after this episode. Maybe that was their thoughts over all. I do agree this episode is going to have a lasting effect, just not in a good way.

:zombies_shocked:

5. DocCovington

DocCovington Member

I just registered...

...so I can post my criticism of the show after watching last night's episode (no spoilers included).

I was a fan from the beginning. I loved the cast (fantastic actors) and most of the characters (couldn't stand Lori). I watched each annual tv marathon they would do here (on German television) before the newly dubbed season would premiere. I was never active in the forums, never read any spoilers. I simply enjoyed the show.

Then they fired Darabont. I don't know if there is a connection to it, but let's just say IMO the show went downhill from there on. Not only became it more and more about violence between the human characters and less about the virus/bacteria/whatever is causing the mutation, it also became less about the actual theme of the show: surviving against the living dead, trying to find out if there is still a civilization out there, if there is someone working on a cure, and -- most importantly -- where the heck did this "illness" come from in the first place, what caused it?

The past three or four seasons all followed the exact same pattern: the group is looking for a new place to settle; people there are suspicious of them (and/or they are suspicious of those people); ultimately they bond, only to have their peaceful living being put to an early end by other, bad humans. Repeat. It became so boring that, hadn't it been for this great cast, I would have stopped watching a long time ago. Instead I clung on, hoping for a new development in the story...

I just watched the s7 premiere online (it won't air over here until a year from now). And I am appalled, to say the least. Yes, surviving in a world of anarchy, with no goverment, no rules, and quite a few criminals in it that try to take over isn't a party. It's hard, harsh, and often violent. Still, there is no need to build a whole show solely around the violence, even revel in it in all its gory detail, like it was the greatest thing on earth to watch someone die in agony, their body being mutilated.

Shame on those responsible for all that, and responsible for taking away great story-telling and replacing it with this crap. I am done with the show for good. Keep producing it and be responsible for raising a new breed of an audience: unempathic and potentially violent themselves -- in other words: sociopaths. Because those are the only kind of people who could possibly enjoy what you have made of this once unique and entertaining television series.

#65 DocCovington, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

It's called The Walking Dead for a reason.

7. DocCovington

DocCovington Member

Exactly. It's not called The Walking Sociopaths.

8. LadyGrimes

That's what a world full of the dead creates. Who knew?

9. DocCovington

DocCovington Member

I have a feeling you two didn't take the time to read my whole post. There are aspects of the show that have been completely cut out and are no longer being pursued. It's a boring (story-wise), gory (visually) hack-fest now. Read first, then comment.

10. LadyGrimes

Oh I did read your whole post, and it sounds just like all the other posts coming from people who are quitting the show because of the violence and gore. I get it you want sunshine and rainbows so this isn't the series for you. It gets darker every season if you haven't already noticed.

11. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I knew this would likely come. I've read the comics and I figured they would stick with Glenn's original death (which, I will say, all the originals deserve the best deaths if it's going to happen). That didn't make it easier to watch.

What makes me angry and not want to watch the show anymore is the unrealistic, fake out death that they gave him last season and then the cliffhanger which prolonged what everyone already knew was going to happen. Why cheapen his death like that? I think it was a great disservice to Glenn Rhee's character and to Steven Yeun as an actor. I think it took away from the impact that it could have, and should have had on viewers. Even if people aren't comic readers, how did they expect to shoot an entire half of a season and people not notice that a couple of characters were notably absent beyond episode one? How fucking anticlimactic is that?! I try to avoid spoilers as much as I can, but it's nearly impossible, and people could see this coming.

Glenn and Steven deserved so much better than the writers gave them, and for that reason I am upset with the show and have lost my desire to watch anymore.

12. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

Sad to see you go.

13. fiveone4

fiveone4 Member

Regarding the highlighted blue text :

Had you read the source material you might better understand why the show is how it is. You are mistaking what your perception of what you wanted or expected the show to be about and are confusing it with what the show was always meant to be. In a sense that also applies to the red.

Regarding the highlighted red text :

Maybe there is no need but there is a want for that sort of television just like there is a want for those kind of movies. Viewers need to remember storytelling comes in many forms and is not necessarily going to give their viewers or readers what they particularly want.

I don't see this as being built around the violence but instead as a story of these peoples survival within this post apocalyptic setting that is going to (and was always meant to) be delivered in a graphic nature. And IMHO they are not raising a new breed of an audience, as that audience has always been there, but they are exposing their preference for graphic television to a wider audience because there are people who often shy from watching things this graphic that have become viewers of the show. If it is too much for some, that is fine and if they choose to stop watching because they cannot stomach it that is fine too. But no need to shame anyone for their preference or simply for their enjoyment of graphic storytelling, and no need to label those whose do enjoy it as sociopaths...to each their own and enjoying graphic storytelling does not make one a sociopath either.

14. Glenn's Deuce

Glenn's Deuce Member

Complaint: Negan & Co. didn't pull Tara out of some wagon & bash her brains in.

15. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

My complaint: My face hurts!!!!

I don't think I have ever squeezed my face so hard for so long.

16. Contaminated

Contaminated Member

I got heat for posting this in the live reaction thread, but I don't care.

Just like those who liked the episode are free to comment why... Those with a different opinion are allowed to as well (I received lots of dislikes)

This episode was over the top gratuitous(violent)
    I saw no need for such a graphic display of violence. Sometimes less is more, as the saying goes.

And yes for the 50 people asking - Do you know what the show is? Do you know the source material? blah blah blah. .
    Yes of course I do. Its the walking dead, but this show isn't about the walking dead anymore. the walking corpses have been reduced to regrettable annoyances at this point, and the true focus is now on violent people doing violent things.
    Since they hit Alexandria the show has lost its lustre.

What this gore-fest did to me was take away any emotional impact I might have had after losing two main characters.
    Yes that's right....I was so put off by it, that it actually removed any sense of sorrow for me.

I also think it was done purely for shock value, and just to kill an extra person off for no real reason.(there was no need to kill 2 in this episode...One would have had the same impact. (the second death is a reminder of the whole ridiculous beth arc/death)

After watching that show I literally don't even care who died anymore.
    I now fear they will drag the Negan arc out forever or at least way too long. For revenge to be satisfied, it has to be while its still fresh in the mind. If he goes into next season..bleh.... boring and no affect what so ever.

peace out

• Like Like x 1
  17. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I think the over the top brutality and gore was the point. As Negan said, I want you to know me. The whole episode was devoted to making the viewer experience this the same way our gang did. Utter shock, disgust, disbelief, helplessness, despair. Of course he could have just killed Abe, but Negan wanted us to see the depth of his brutality. Killing Glenn was even more brutal for the simple fact that Glenn had done nothing, but was punished for Daryl's act of defiance. That's Negan letting you know that when you f with him, it may not be you who pays the price. This is who you're dealing with. You are supposed to feel this way
    I'm honestly surprised at the backlash to the "violence and brutality". Did you miss S5 Premiere at the Terminus trough scene?

18. Alfa

Alfa New Member

How very German of you to suggest that violence in fiction creates sociopaths. Got any evidence to back that claim up?

19. df219

df219 New Member

My question now is...How long until Rick kills Negan with the hatchet (remember how he told Terminus Garreth how he'd kill him with his machette)? Without knowing the comics, I wonder how much Negan's character and history will get developed. I hope at least to understand how he amassed such a large cult of followers. He's the kind of psycho villainous ruler that is destined for death by mutiny

20. LadyGrimes

I guess people being torn apart and eaten alive isn't brutal then? Or how about the Terminus trough scene, or better yet Bob's leg being eaten.

Brutality is nothing new with this show. So I don't know what you were watching before.