Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Connecting the dots...symbolism in 701

Discussion in 'Episode 701 - The Day Will Come When You Won't Be' started by Prufrock, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I have only watched it quickly, but I was really struck by Rick's almost identical pose like Glenn in 410(?). Totally alone, surrounded by chaos and sprawled.

Rick has been in too many do or die situations, on top of RVs, now that I think of it!

2. batongal

batongal Active Member

yep that's a good observation. I felt if it weren't for Carl and Judith he looked like he was thinking of rolling over into the walkers and be done with it.

3. Prufrock

I forgot about the title of the episode- Jenner's words to Rick in S1.

4. batongal

batongal Active Member

How about the shirtless lone walker at the end of the episode? I think the walker symbolized an easier time when the dead were the only threat to the group. I was wondering why Rick was eyeing him so intently. This may sound crazy but I also feel Rick was looking at him with envy, envy that it was all over for him, envy for the solitude the walker permeated, no more hurt, no more caring. Rick's eyes had exhaustion and devastation all rolled up in one as he watched him.

5. Prufrock

thank you! I forgot about that- what blissful days when we only had the dead, to contend with.

It reminded me of Shane watching the walker in the lone field in 18 Miles Out (?)

#5 Prufrock, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  6. batongal

batongal Active Member

Exactly!
    Only Shane was watching him terrified that he would end up like that alone. Where as I feel Rick watched him with thinking of relief at that moment.

7. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

That's a great way to look at how Rick saw that walker. That it reminded him of a time when the dead were the only thing they feared. Or even to be dead--no more fear, no more hurting, no more pain. Or how alone Shane felt and how alone Rick felt.

I also was struck by how when Negan swung the bat--and the blood hit Rick in the face. It only hit Rick. No one else. I thought of the saying "you have egg on your face" and "blood on your hands"...Rick has the blood of his loved ones...on his face...

8. StaceFace

StaceFace Member

I thought this also. And, that scene in the whole episode was the most calm and peaceful, indicating that this could be the last time that the group are 'safe' and 'alone' for a long time. Ultimatley, we're watching a walker heading towards the blood of our family to eat the remainder of flesh on the floor, and I think it's at this point when Rick drives off that he has had a thought that everyone is disposable, even those closest to him and he won't let it come to this again.

9. Prufrock

I was just rewatching S5 -Abraham says The table is set and I hope for our lives to be long and fruitful:

10. batongal

batongal Active Member

The table is set and I hope for our lives to be long and fruitful:

That is just depressing. I didn't know he said that. I was remembering when he asked Daryl if he was thinking about 'settling down' and Daryl gives him that incredulous look and says, 'you think shits settled?' Wow. The writing was on the wall yep Mr. Gimple setting things up for the kill.

11. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Awesome post. I completely agree.

12. Prufrock

Yes! I was going to add a photo of the "table" but somehow fell asleep!

[​IMG]