Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The OA -- Netflix

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by No.Pantaloons, Dec 12, 2016.

1. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;DvHJtez2IlY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvHJtez2IlY[/video]

Going to be released this Dec 15th, this Friday. Seems to be a mystery/thriller surrounding a blind missing girl who returns 7 years later inexplicably with her sight back. Scott Wilson (HERSHEL!) plays her father.

This show was actually on my radar for a very long time as I'm a HUGE Brit Marling fan because she always does very interesting high concept projects. The results are sometimes as bit uneven, but I really think she's one of the most overlooked talents in Hollywood. Like a lot of her previous work, she is acting, writing and producing this project here.

2. Heriot of Fire

First two episodes in, this is already very intriguing. Still could go either way but for now I'm taken in with it.

Any movies or shows from her you would recommend?

#2 Heriot of Fire, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I watched the first episode of this last night. I agree it could still go either way, but I liked the first episode. And its always good to see Hershel again. [MENTION=8031]Jen7[/MENTION].

4. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'm also one episode in and I'm intrigued to see where it goes...
    [MENTION=16592]No.Pantaloons[/MENTION] I wasn't familiar with Brit before this but I can see why you like her, she definitely has a great presence onscreen.

5. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I like her.

I noticed a few absurdities in the show so far, like a drug dealer who if afraid of calling the attention of cops, so he has his dog attack someone. Yeah, that's a good way to not call the attention of law enforcement. Have your dog attack a famous person lol.

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Yeah that was idiotic lol. At the same time though he's a teenage kid so I'm sure he probably has the dog because he's way in over his head and has no idea how to handle situations. I think he has the dog because it's the only way he can look tough or protect himself and he panicked. If he had any experience in life he wouldn't have let a woman grabbing for her camera cause such a reaction.

7. Neuropyramidal

yeah, that and he didn't want to let the guys watching see a girl get the best of him lol.

8. No.Pantaloons

I'd say "Another Earth" is probably her best piece of work so far. It is more of a drama with a sci-fi circumstance, if that makes any sense. She co-stars with Tom Cruise--------------------------'s cousin :Grin:

"The Sound of My Voice" is actually fairly similar to this show. In this movie, she is the leader of a cult who claims to be special and from several decades in the future. A couple of documentarians infiltrate the group and try and figure out what kind of fraud they believe she is pulling. This was originally supposed to be part of a trilogy but funding, scheduling, etc never let that happen. It does sort of work on it's own though.

She infiltrates an eco-terrorist group in "The East." I Jdon't remember liking this one much, but the reviews are fairly strong, so it could be just me. No wild concept in this one if I remember right.

She co-wrote these three films, along with Zal Batmanglij on the latter two. Batmanglij is also co-writing and directing The OA.

"I, Origins" has a fairly wild concept as well, but she only has a supporting part, no co-write. Another TWD alum, Steven Yuen also has a small supporting part as well. The movie is pretty uneven, but I can see how a lot of people can love this film.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Heriot of Fire

cheers, I'll give some of these a shot.

Being on holiday since last week I decided to binge this and am at episode 5 now. To be fair the kid and his dog are the least of a lot of nonsensical things in this show. You are actually asked to have faith or at least pretend to until you do though, and I can deal with that except how is she recounting incidents she was never a part of?

I do like the nonconformist approach of this very much though and am willing to overlook these things

10. Heriot of Fire

Wow. That was impressive and powerful. Don't want to give anything away, so I'll wait until you're finished. I will just say as far as I'm concerned that ending makes up for everything.

Looking forward to see more of Marling's work.

11. No.Pantaloons

I just finished it. Hmm it was very uneven, even for a Brit Marling work.

The final climax setup really should've had at least clues or some sort of build up in the background instead of just happening out the blue.

I thought the whole movements thing was silly. It didn't work for me.

I dunno, this seemed like a long, worse version of "The Sound Of My Voice," which was extremely similar. That said, I was entertained to keep binging through it, so it wasn't bad - bad. I'd probably still want to watch season 2, though I have zero idea how that'd work.

12. Heriot of Fire

I lost hope for it after episode 5 or so, and so in turn was really made up with the ending.

13. Neuropyramidal

I think there is much more than at first meets the eye here, and I really don't feel like she made everything up. There are tons of very subtle clues in this show. I found myself rewinding and looking at something in the background like 15 times. For instance, when the FBI counselor is talking to her and her parents, on the wall in the background is the world "Rachel" written in braille. There was a bunch of little eggs like that. When Batmanglij [his name has Batman in it ;)] was told by an interviewer that her story must have just been made up, he said something like "I wouldn't say that's necessarily true".

Of course they are purposely just keeping it ambiguous, but Brit said the ending was written with the idea that it was NOT the end of the story, and that they wanted to do a second season. I think a second season would make more sense if, at its core, the story was actually true. And in the first or second episode we see Prairie looking up a youtube video of Homer after he had his accident, and she says "homer, where are you?". And she said the name "Homer" BEFORE she ever gained access to the internet. So Homer was a real person with an NDE that she knew about. So the concept that she would have come up with his name from reading Homer's The Iliad is a red herring.

There are some other oddities to explain, like how she knew to run to the school at that exact moment. Complete coincidence? And why the FBI counselor was staking out her house. Did the FBI perhaps have evidence that her story was true, and thus were keeping a close eye on her? The boys couldn't seem to confirm the names and details of her story on the internet, but they wouldn't be able to do so if in fact the dimension that our characters existed in was a different dimension than where her story took place. Perhaps the jump from the bridge did kill her, and brought her there.

If we do get a season two, I really doubt it will extend a narrative in which the entire story was fabricated.

14. M3O

M3O Member

Scott Wilson was in it! That's how my parents got me to watch it. :Grin:

My mom and I really enjoyed it, but my dad didn't (he did, however, binge watch it with us).

Mind-blowing concepts, whether the execution was favorable or not.

15. Jay Bonansinga

I really liked The East and Another Earth. Another Earth could almost be an extension of The O.A. IMEO.

16. Jay Bonansinga

I actually thought the show was fantastic and really hope there is a season 2. I don't necessary think that just because she had the books that her story is made up. She may have just being trying to do further research into things she experienced.

Also I don't even know if those books are hers. Like she made her plan right when she got home and there would be no way she could have read all those books by the time she met that 5 others. Also if those books were hers wouldn't they be in braille since she only recently regained her sight? And the FBI guy was just in her house like that, maybe he planted them.

I don't believe she was making it up and I don't want her to be making stuff up because I really really liked her character and the story,

Thank You~Jay

17. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, the buzz online is that she wouldn't be able to read English, although I don't really buy that. They were down there 7 years, and Hap knew she could see for at least maybe 4 years of it. I think Scott had a book in one or two scenes. For its feasible the others taught her to read English during that time, if Hap was bringing them books. We never saw that on screen, and it would be difficult being separated by glass, but it could be done. And the show went through those last 3 years after Renata showed up so lightning fast that we never even really got to know Renata. So I'm sure they did a lot of things we never saw.

Other than that, I agree with everything.

18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

That's a good point - I hadn't even considered that about the books, although I did think he jumped to that conclusion pretty quickly just from finding a few books under her bed.

I want Homer to be real :-/

19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Scott Wilson was in it! I missed his face.

Also as a fan of The Office I was happy to see Phyllis Smith playing such a prominent role.

20. M3O

M3O Member

My mind was like, "the mom totally just brainwashed the OA into thinking that all this stuff happened!" but the issue with that is, the mom would have had to have been hiding the OA for seven years...and that doesn't explain the return of the OA's sight...unless she faked blindness...

Also, Homer is totally real! It's a question of whether or not the OA ever met him...cuz there are videos of him on the internet (in the show).