Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why don't they just leave the area Negan controls?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Fish n Chips, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Fish n Chips

Fish n Chips New Member

I don't understand why Rick and the Gang don't just gather up their things, and head out west, from away from Negan and the Saviors?

Has anyone else considered this? This solution seems so obvious it's baffling why Rick and Michone and the gang don't do it. They have plenty of vehicles and seem to have an endless supply of gas. It's not as though they need to pack anything substantial. Rick just needs to give a whistle, and say "Everyone get in a car or truck. We're driving a hundred miles west. To hell with Negan and the Saviors. Let's go."

Very simple. Done. This show can be so stupid sometimes.

2. Heriot of Fire

and then what?

3. Fish n Chips

Fish n Chips New Member

How about establish another settlement and live?

4. Fish n Chips

Fish n Chips New Member

Doesn't that make sense? If they stay where they are, they have to tend to Negan and the Saviors and live under their iron curtain regime. They can be killed at any second. Or.........they just leave and live somewhere else. Safe. Not that hard to comprehend Hariot of Fire guy.

5. Fish n Chips

Fish n Chips New Member

Do you follow the show?

6. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't help and might make things worse since Negan had Daryl. It isn't that easy for our group to just leave....that is their home and those are Ricks people. Deanna/Reg would want Rick/Michonne to keep her community together and not be abandoned/have it rebuilt.

You saw our group fight in "No Way Out" they didn't leave then. So now with this recent midseason they are ready to fight and protect the community/people.

Welcome to the forums!

7. gavuk

gavuk Member

Come on Fish a Chips play nice.....

I guess I have thought about it on/off since season 1.

I start every caveat with TWD ain't real, its a show, its fiction and zombies don't exist NOW since season 1 Rick and co has come across a whole range of society as the 1% (or whatever percent it is) of survivors. Within those survivors you're gonna come across good/bad people and a whole skill base from stay at home mum to psycho killer. Wherever we see Rick go he will come across that societal split. At the moment he's battling the full power of feudal lord Negan and last season it was Deanna with her i'm a politician lets take a measure approach to rebuilding society style of leadership.

Rick could move 1000 miles across the USA and he's still gonna be facing Negan or Deanna or someone else cause it makes for good viewing. I'm quite happy with that plan. If he moves away and its all hunky dory the show finishes and Fox/TWD writers/makers/producers and promoters lose their cash cow and I for one would be pretty pi$$ed off.

Hope you next season. Are you new to the show or the forum? Happy viewing.

8. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. Especially about the gas thing - we had half a season of walking towards the Terminus, but now it's like everybody and their sister has a car. I guess we're supposed to think they care about their settlements, Alexandria and the Hilltops (it makes more sense for the Kingdom to stay put since Negan doesn't seem to threatened its people directly), and acknowledge the fact that they went through a lot to get there.
    Still, they're facing a threat more devastating now than they did since that time when this was a zombie show and the zombies were actual threats. So moving away from that threat would be the reasonable thing to do, but as been said, that would probably send the show in a loop so might as well face Negan now.

9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Except for some pesky facts. Like the fact they have infants and old people with them, and the fact that travelling into the unknown in the ZA can be even more dangerous than staying and coming up with a plan, and the fact that 100 miles isn't very far outside their territory, and the fact that even if they did make it to some unknown 'simple' new 'safe' destination, there's a good chance other bad people will be waiting.

Facts can be so stupid sometimes.

10. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

Leave the ASZ just to run into someone worse than Negan. Yeah, they should do that.

Running is not in them anymore. They have to fight for what's theirs.

11. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

"That plan might just be crazy enough... to get us all killed."
    -Squidward.

12. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

I get where you're coming from on that premise, and yes, it would seem like an obvious choice on the surface. For argument's sake, let's look at some factors here, some that have already been pointed out.

If you recall earlier in the series, the group was constantly on the move, and encountered numerous dangers from not having a fortified place that they could live in. Specifically recall between seasons 2 and 3 after the Greene farm was overrun, this is a perfect example. They were tired, exhausted and devoid of supplies and on the verge of total starvation, becoming weaker each passing day, and quickly ran out of gas and they hadn't even gotten far at all across Georgia.

What do you think would happen if they went on the move? They'd be completely exposed to the elements, with dwindling supplies, would be in danger from not only walkers but other people. Moving somewhere west would be a daunting task to say the least. Even with the vehicles, the gas would only hold out so long and they'd have to continuously stop. As someone else pointed out, not everyone would have the stamina to be able to complete that kind of trek.

As [MENTION=543]gavuk[/MENTION] pointed out, there will always be people that will be the "bad guys" if you will. Where there's one Negan, it's safe to wager there'll be ten more out there, at least.

Also, right now they're completely devoid of weapons save for Michonne's sword and now Rick's Python. How would they defend themselves?

Instead of just running, they're going to fight back. That's another point, even if they did run, while there may not be cell phones or computers, Negan's arm could have a long reach, so IMO they wouldn't be safe even if they survived the trip.

#12 WickedJenn, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
  13. Lilliam

Lilliam Active Member

Nah.......Alexandria is a pretty cool set up. I wouldn't leave it, I'd defend it.

14. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

This sums it up perfectly.

Alexandria has electricity, water, nice houses, and most importantly a large wall. It's self sustaining and they would be hard pressed to find another location even close to what they have, that already isn't occupied.

Even if they kept going with the Negan plan. Giving him half their stuff, they would still be better off than heading out into the unknown....again. knowing they won't find another Alexandria.

If faced with the same situation, after going through what they went through after leaving Atlanta. Most people would stay also. Fight or not, they are living in the best location they have seen yet. Hell, one might argue that they are currently living better than many people are actually living today. Nobody living in a self sustainable neighborhood, in 800k homes. Most of them have it better now than they did before the za.

15. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I might agree with this if it were self sustaining but Alexandria is not even remotely self sustaining at this point?
    They can hole-up there but will starve and be killed one by one while doing so.

They have not enough food in there,no guns and really need to scavenge for everything except somehow water & Electricity.

I think it is best that they try to keep what they have even if the walls supports are too easily scaled from the outside almost like a invitation to anyone to try.

But to do this they will have to fight their way through the negan era and come out somehow on the other side,I agree this should be easier in the long run than just running away.

They couldn't even make it to the Hilltop when they first met negan.

If they are to survive they have to take negan out one way or the other.

16. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Which brings up a different issue.

They didn't have any food shortages in the prison. They were growing crops, had pigs...even though they died, and they hunted. Now they have electricity, which means they have fridges and freezers, yet are running out of food.

17. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

They already used most of the stored food and had to give half of it to Negan. Now they are forced to find new supplies without weapons.
    But I too wonder why they're not growing crops - or do they?
    And didn't Daryl flood the water with gasoline when the walkers overrun Alexandra? It should be contaminated now.

#17 NoMora, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2016
  18. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

They did try to farm in season 6 episode 10 "The Next World". When Glenn was telling Maggie that "It will grow" but I don't think they were successful unlike the hillltop which we see them get their food from eventually. I've read that Alexandria is built for the future while the hilltop is made more modern/old fashioned.

19. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Negan didn't take any of their food. He said as much when he left Alexandria the first time.

But yes, they were running low on food before that anyway. That's why they made the deal with the kingdom. They talked about how they couldn't seem to grow food but never explained why. At the prison they had no problems growing food and hunting. Now they can't seem to grow anything.

As far as the water goes, I don't think the lake has anything to do with it. They have rain collectors and recycling systems.

20. Spartangal22

Spartangal22 Member

Leaving presents its own risks. Right now, they know the land, they know where they can scavenge and find resources, they know where to avoid. They've probably done a lot of walker killing in the areas around them to clear out a safe zone (Aaron had mentioned that back in season 5). If they leave, they are faced with the problems they had in the season 2/3 interim, of going from place to place without a sustainable back-up plan if **** hits the fan (which it always does). Leaving would make walkers the real threat again as opposed to right now, when they've pretty much got that under control for the time being.

That said, I wouldn't mind if someone at least brought it up. I think it was discussed back when the Governor wanted them to abandon the prison and they really didn't want to take their chances on the road again, which was a very realistic discussion.

TBH I like the show better when they're on the move. It makes the environment the threat again, which I enjoy.