Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Madison: Good "Guy"or Bad "Guy"?

Discussion in 'Episode 307/308 - The Unveiling/Children of Wrath' started by Dnae, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

As this season has moved along I have found myself questioning what the driving force is for Madison. The easy answer is her children. But it is just that, an easy answer. Rick's driving force is also his children. Yet, while Rick has had to make some difficult decisions it was not until season 6 that we see Rick making a decision to kill people in cold blood. Here we are in Fear, only about 1.5 months into the epidemic and Madison is already about 50 shades darker than Rick.

And now, through her backstory, we know that Madison has killed before.

So that leaves me wondering who exactly is Madison Clark? I do not see her as the protagonist of the show. I am not sure this show has a protagonist at this point in time. I see this show as having several individuals who are at different places along the antagonist's continuum. The only two people who I might consider as protagonist are Alicia and Jake, yet they have not quite reached that level of leadership needed to be thought of as the series "hero".

How odd for a television show to have so many characters living in the gray area and so few characters living in the either white or black areas.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I say she is a neutral character, much like Otto and Walker. Non is evil in the manner of Negan or The Governor. They do what is needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. yuke

yuke Member

I think neither good or evil but rather someone with really bad judgment. She should have seen if the reserve water and potentially future negotiations would resolve the conflict.

4. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

She should. Both leaders where stubborn. And the whole "3 down, 1 to go" as 3 out of 4 "Forfathers" of the Ranch had died...I think war could been unavoidable! Still, Madison acted way to fast here!

5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I just cannot recall seeing any remorse from Madison for decisions she has made. I do not necessarily think she is evil, I do not believe for one minute that she derives any pleasure from the decisions she has made. Nor do I see her as being the "good" guy in the series. I will agree that she makes bad decisions more so than good decisions, no doubt about it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

I wouldn't call her evil until she has a harem of 7 husbands who she steals from their wives and threatens to essentially kill their wives if they dont have sex with her. At that point I can call her "evil" the way I do with Negan.

Remember she hesitated to kill Zombie Gretchen. She has real feelings for other people.

At the same time she is willing to compromise all morals for safety. She's a very neutral/gray character. Rick IMO is more of a "good guy" because he spent so much time and effort trying to do the 'right' thing until he became forced to stop doing so.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Madison is an emotionless robot. I don't know if she is written to be that way or whether Kim Dickens simply cannot convey emotions well. It seems like there are times when the character is supposed to show emotion but it just doesn't happen. She is nothing like Rick. Rick is a very emotional character and Andy Lincoln does a great job of conveying that to the audience. All of his decisions, good and bad, are driven by emotion. I don't really know what drives Madison's decision making

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Up until we finally are given her back story I was also of the mind set that it was her acting that was flat at times. I do wonder now, with the information we have been given about her childhood, if that is how she is being written (as you stated above). I am not familiar with any of her past work so Fear is the base line I have for her as an actress.

9. walkon

walkon Active Member

Bad. Something happens to a person after he/she murders another. A line is crossed. We're not talking accidental death here. Lots of kids see violence in the home but never resort to murder. This dramatically changed the way I look at Madison.

10. stellabelly

stellabelly New Member

11. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I don't think she's evil. I do think she hasn't broken free of her childhood traumas and wouldn't want to have to trust her for anything unless I felt really, really sure I knew what her motivations were, as she is willing to be 100% ruthless to get what she feels she must. Well, I guess it's easier to say I'd rather keep my distance from her as a general rule.

I definitely do NOT see her as good, "my needs first" would be closer to the truth. I don't think she'd ever look out for someone else's welfare, for example, if it would result in it inconveniencing Nick. I think I'd actually feel safer with Trump as an apocalypse partner than with Madison.

I do think it's funny that they made her a guidance counselor. There's the common wisdom that people with psych problems tend to gravitate towards psychology as a major in college, maybe the same thing applies here.

#11 Morgotha, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  12. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

And here I thought Nick was the clear main character...