Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Question about Hershel.

Discussion in 'Episode 212 - Better Angels' started by Walkers Ate Me, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Walkers Ate Me

Do you feel that Hershel purposely made it a point to become the group's moral compass and advisor? I'm curious as to where Hershel would "fit in" if Dale had lived, because initially it was Dale who was the father figure and "wise old man" to the group members. Throughout season 2 Dale had "bonding" scenes with each of the characters - Lori, Glenn, T-Dog, Andrea, etc. He was close to everyone in Rick's group with the exception of Shane and Daryl. And, he served as an advisor to Shane before Rick arrived

So when Dale died do you feel Hershel decided to take his spot in this regard, or was this in his personality anyway?

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Oh I definitely think it's his personality. He was that way before Dale died as well, just not as prominent as he was not a central character at that time.

Hate to sound cliche, but I really think the show just can't handle having more than one type of personality on the show at the same time.....predominantly the "moral compass".

3. offrope

offrope Active Member

Having Herschel fall naturally into the moral compass role made it seem more real, because the same thing happened to me. I'm 65 years old, but most of my friends are in their 30s and 40s. After the former "old man" passed away a few years ago, the younger cavers started coming to me for advice and to gain from my life experience. I saw it (Herschel) as the natural way it would have gone.

#3 offrope, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. Walkers Ate Me

Thanks for the responses. I saw a lot of change in Hershel during season 2. In fact, you could argue that Hershel's initial mindset was similar to Shane's - he didn't trust any outsiders and his main concern was keeping his group safe. He was even willing to kick Rick's group off the farm, even with the knowledge that Lori was pregnant. There's no way that he would have done that in the later seasons.

One thing I don't like about the show is, like PepperAnn said, the show just can't have more than one "type" of character. The moral compass characters originated with Dale and then went to Hershel, Andrea, Tyreese and then Glenn. But I would have liked to see the group for a much longer time with both Hershel and Dale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

I think a big part of keeping people off the farm was that he didn’t want anyone discovering the walkers in the barn. His wife was one if them. He was still trying to help “people”, in fact he was protecting sick people that others were killing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

The group was still on Hershel's farm when he realized the walker's were in fact dead, so that gave him the right to voice his opinion.

Hershel also saw that Rick had a heavy burden being the leader of the group, and became the one Rick could talk to; Hershel also offered Rick encouragement, advice, and a different opinion when needed.

I think Dale had the same intentions as Hershel, but he had no tact.

• Agree Agree x 1