Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Looking back at Season 9

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by BlackBird, Apr 8, 2019.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

In the final week of limbo between TWD S9 finale and GoT final season premier, I'm proposing a little bit of reflection on this past season...

Here are a bunch of starter questions, please feel free to pick any - or all - to answer, and add your own if you like!

1. Favourite moment.
    2. Favourite new character.
    3. Best character arc of the season.
    4. Favourite episode.
    5. Greatest surprise. (Pleasant variety.)
    6. Greatest surprise. (WTF variety.)
    7. How are you coping without Rick? (How are they?)
    8. Funniest moment.
    9. Saddest moment.
    10. Greatest badass moment.
    11. Most annoying thing.
    12. Best friendship moment.
    13. Best romantic moment.
    14. Best walker kill.
    15. What are you looking forward to most in S10?

And overall...

2. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

Not really a GoT person, so I'm back to various, YT channel watching until the few other shows I watch come back on.

1. Favourite moment.
    Had to be the snowball fight.

Luke. Music education is underappreciated these days.

I'ma go with Carol. At peace for a little bit, now possibly slipping back into the badassery armor mode.

4. Favourite episode.
    Bounty. Something about risking their skin for a near rare, projection bulb. Yet at the same time, you'd think they'd put the same amount of effort into ammo.(see no.11)

Those "Highwaymen" turning out to be pleasant and negotiable people.

The amount of time the communities went without really contacting each other despite not being too far away. Even on foot, horse, wagon, or **cough** bicycle.

Surprisingly fine, as I am I with Maggie's absence. The in-universe itself? Probably not so great, but managing as they should in the fictional scenario. Death and running away are what they are. Hell, no one seems to have cared that Mo-Mo ducked out on them.

8. Funniest moment.
    Negan riding the bike and then eating shit after Judith blows out the front tire.

9. Saddest moment.
    Hilltop and it's consistent loss of leadership. Welcome to the stewardship.

Judith playing hunter jr and saving the newcomers.

11. Most annoying thing.
    I'm not gonna lie. Near complete lack of firearms and ammo. Surely they would've at least reverted back to crude, black powder and museum armaments if modern day reloading supplies and tools were in short supply.

Luke and Alden

Damn, toss-up between Hayzeus and Aaron, or Yumike and Magna.

14. Best walker kill.
    Luke seemingly dodging them and letting them get pinned between the cars to get taken out not much later.

Erm, More helimicopter?

And overall...
    It was a good scene.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BlackBird

@bentstrider83

Thanks for playing! I loved your choices, especially the appreciation for the rare breed of music teachers in the apocalypse. Luke's a breath of fresh air and I hope once this inconvenient border dispute is resolved with the Whisperers, the next trip to Washington will be to raid a concert hall, and by season 13 Luke will have a full symphony orchestra.

#3 BlackBird, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. BlackBird

1. Favourite moment.
    The snowball scene is hard to beat.

This is really difficult, because I enjoy most of the new characters introduced this season, especially 10 year old Judith, Lydia, Magna's group... such a fabulous crop. But I'm going to go with Connie. She's just pure awesome.

Daryl: most spectacular arc. From recluse to being a dad. Wow. But I also loved the more subtle arc of Michonne dealing with her trauma, rekindling her faith in people, reconnecting with Judith and her old friends.

4. Favourite episode.
    Scars. Just incredible. Such a brilliantly structured and emotially charged episode.

Change of mind: On second watch of 9B, I'd choose The Calm Before. For exactly the same reasons.

Daryl becoming poppa bear.

Jesus' death. Just when they finally started giving him proper material. Not cool.

Me? I'm missing him terribly, but "made room for it". The story is holding together very well without him. But they need to learn he's alive. It's killing me that they still don't know. And they? They are not doing that great without him. Had he been there, the communities would have never fallen apart like they did.

8. Funniest moment.
    Jerry singing "It's All Right Now" winking at Carol in Bounty, and. Her. Face.

9. Saddest moment.
    Finding out that Daryl spent the last six years looking for Rick.

Judith shooting the tyre on Negan's bike.

11. Most annoying thing.
    Beta. His whole character is like out of a cartoon. How did he get out of that elevator shaft anyway? Oh, I know. Like a cartoon character.

Daryl and Michonne looking for the children in Scars.

Daryl asking Connie to feed his dog. (That's practically a marriage proposal from Daryl.)

14. Best walker kill.
    The released rolling logs in Bridge flattening the bunch of them. Ten pin bowling with walkers.

Michonne and Daryl finding out that Rick is alive.

And overall...

...loved this season. Great new characters, good stories, hideous new enemy, Daryl more in focus with actual lines, interesting dilemmas, refreshing new themes. I looked forward to every new episode.

#4 BlackBird, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

"8. Funniest moment.
    Jerry singing "It's All Right Now" winking at Carol in Bounty, and. Her. Face. "

LMAO that WAS a great moment!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

"11. Most annoying thing.

Luke having a midnight talk with a violin. It was just a strange scene."

LMAO

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

How about "Best unspoken moments".

Like Henry looking down and seeing Carol wearing her ring again. No dialog, just a glance and an "Oh shit" look on his face.

• Like Like x 3
  9. BlackBird

Very good.

How about the bunch of thoughts and emotions rushing through Carol looking at Lydia when Lydia asked her to kill her. From the "don't tempt me"... "I've done this before"... "he's dead all because of you" ... "you're putting us all in danger"... all the way to "you poor little darling"... "I can't ever let anything bad happen to you if I can help it"... "which, given my track record, is not great odds in your favour, but still, I will try" probably arriving to "Pretty sure I'm gonna leave Zeke and move to Alexandria, so I can help Daryl take care of you".

All *with eyes.*

#9 BlackBird, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BlackBird

@Sebrebc

I enjoyed reading your selection a lot, thank you for playing.

Jesus' death scene was fantastically well done, but damn it, he was one of my favourite characters, and I so enjoyed him this season, the reluctant leader, and his budding romance with Aaron.

I really like how you described Ep15 and your understanding of Daryl.
    I can't wait to see how his relationship will unfold with Negan... (I've started a thread on this in the Ep16 Topic.)

But the violin incident... lol, that was one of my favourite scenes! (Music teacher writing here! :):p )

• Like Like x 3
  11. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

11:
    The whisperers. After killing Jesus they lost their main advantage. Uncertainty.
    Now all anyone has to do is toss a Molotov cocktail into the middle of a group of walkers behaving oddly and you'll soon find out if that is a whisperer horde.

Granted, every group also seems to have done nothing over the past half decade advance in the show. I would have used that to go out and get some good military equipment. The hilltop, due to it's height could have.easily fitted some military artillery pieces and with those you can launch everything from anti personnel proximity shells (which rain down shrapnel on their targets) to sarin gas shells. Needless to say a single sarin gas shells fired into large wbisperer horde would probably discourage them from going anywhere near hilltop and those shells are perfectly safe until fired.

As for Alexandria, a tank or two would be nice. They eat fuel, though you can stick the transmission in neutral and tow them (slowly) by horse.

There's a whole heap of old military equipment lying out there. They should have gotten some of that.
    I hope Rick gets back and says
    "Its been five ****ing years and you built a goddamn windmill? A windmill We don't even grow wheat!! The **** were you guys thinking?!"
    "Uhh, it would look cool when the show intro theme plays...?"

I would have made it my personal mission to.find one of these:
    Walker horde? Hold my beer.

Edit; would have always wanted a Davy Crockett recoilless rifle too.
    You can't go wrong with nukes. You can never go wrong with nukes.

But yeah, they could have grabbed a tank or two and a self propelled artillery gun. No.need to get close to the enemy, just get a computer running off solar/battery/generators to run artillery equations for you and pick them off a mile away.
    They took five years of no threats and basically used them to paint a giant target on themselves. They could have sent out scouting parties, they could have recovered old military equipment as well as fuel and spares for the piping at the kingdom. They were only really seen to even want to expand after the five year gap and the reason (for Alexandria) seems to be Rick's "death" and the fact that Michonne killed a bunch of kids in self defence. Neither could have been easy, but putting everyone's life at risk just because you're a bit sad? Michonne should have handed command over to the council.

#11 DavidDavidaon, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

1. Favorite moment - I’ll have to really think but what’s coming to mind is when Negan gets out and revisits the Sanctuary and sees what’s left of the world.

2. Connie is really the only new character I like. The rest so far.. ehh.

3. Carol.. and I think there is a lot more to come for her. She’s so complicated and great.

4. When they were at the museum getting the carriage for the horses. I forget the name of the episode.

5. The reveal of RJ.

6. The helicopter.. really WTF.

7. He was never my absolute favorite but I don’t at all feel the same about the show without him. If they didn’t kill Carl then I may be doing a little better.

8. Negan’s “Father, not the father” comment and Eugene laughing.

9. Rick’s exit.

10. Rick pulling himself off the metal bar through his midsection and riding off on the horse.

11. Henry.

12. Daryl holding Carol back again when she saw Henry’s head on the pike.

13. Was it this season or late last season when Rick mentioned having a baby with Michonne and then they got in on? Lol if it wasn’t this season then I’d say give us a little more romance here and there next season.

14. Maybe the iced out walkers?

15. Negan’s arc and Carol’s story. I’d love it if they had a nice long conversation. Been waiting for that.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BlackBird

@DavidDavidaon

My goodness, you know a lot about stuff that could become handy in the apocalypse, - might even outshine Eugene! You're right of course, they should be way more prepared for dealing with stranger danger by this stage, but their situation is a little more complicated than Michonne "putting everyone's life at risk" just because she's "a bit sad". She wasn't just "a bit sad". Her world was crushed. Her trust broken, in any outsiders. First the Saviours attacked Daryl, Abe and Sasha, totally unprovoked. They scarcely escaped. Then Denise was killed by someone Daryl had helped. And all that followed. A very close friend of hers betrayed her. Robbed her community, killed a guard, kidnapped her child with some other children, tortured her and was about to kill her. Children she welcomed into her community, captured and tortured her and were about to kill her, and her daughter. After this, she was simply done with trusting new people. And she did hand over the running of Alexandria to the council, except for security issues. True, she vetoed a lot of things due to security concerns, but she was simply not going to risk anyone going out there anymore, when the world outside the walls of Alexandria was frought with danger. Just look what happened to two seasoned survivors who went out without her approval to set up the radio transmitters. Michonne might not have been right, but she had very good reasons behind her stance of keeping her community behind closed walls. I can't blame her, after what they had been through. It's a miracle she has finally found her way back to her and Rick's vision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BlackBird

@HonestAbe

Thank you for playing!
    I very much enjoyed Negan's big day out of his cell too.
    I'm sorry you haven't warmed to the other new characters besides Connie.
    They got the carriage in the first episode of season9.
    To find out Michonne had Rick's baby... that was one of the most bittersweet moments on the show...it is breaking my heart. And Rick still has no idea. :(

You've made some lovely selections.
    Most annoying thing? "Henry" - lol.
    Strangely, his death has warmed me to him more than anything else. I wasn't too keen on him either. Liked his naive goodness, moral standing, but his teenager ways were, well: teenager ways= super annoying.

A Negan-Carol conference? I'd book a front seat for that!!

#14 BlackBird, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  15. DavidDavidaon

All of what you say is true, though Mochonne is showing (very obvious) signs of combat fatigue (PTSD), it would have been better had she been relieved of her position when she was no longer capible, until she was capable of running Alexandria's military wing.
    The trip by Eugene and Rosita (it was Rosita; IIRC, the cast changes so often now) to set up the radio repeater (signal booster) wasn't sanctioned, greatly increasing the risk to both of them. Due to the."we stay behind our walls" policy of Michonne they had little to no situational awareness or up to date intelligence. As such they ended up pinned down by an enemy they did not know exited.
    This could have been easily mitigated by either letting Alexandria know that they were leaving and they should be expected back by <time here> and if they were cut off they would move to either hideout A, B or C, in which they would have a place to stay until rescue.
    That being said the whisperers were not expected. But light scouts could have gathered lots of Intel on them if Alexandria set up scouting parties to scout 3-5 miles outside the borders (and due to the nearby forest, construct treehouses) as defence from walkers.
    [Tangent] Rope ladders could be used for slow entry and a sack filled with rocks (weighing about 130-170kg could be brought up a pulley by 3-4 people (or carry packs of rocks up the ladder and dump them into the sack) and the rope could then have a grab rail (made from a stout piece of wood) that would hang just above head height and a second rope could tie this handle off to the tree. Need to make a quick ascent, grab the "rail" and cut the rope holding it and the.counterweight will hoist you up. you would need to get the rope lengths correct so people don't get their hands mangled in the pulley due to the counterweight rope being too short, or people only getting pulled up half way due to the rope being too long, but they would be good shelters that you could climb normally in normal circumstances, or be pulled up by the counterweight in an emergency, then swing yourself towards the platform.
    [/tangent]
    Though scouts in high places and the use of emergency signal flares (if you can find some nice big fireworks you have a makeshift flare) or short range radios (possibly easier to come across, though new batteries would need to be made eventually. They could run their radios off a few potatoes lol) I suppose instead of batteries you could set the radios up to be hand cranked for power as a dynamo (as simple as an electrical motor run in reverse and a couple of diodes to convert to DC power) never goes bad, unlike a battery.

When Alexandria shut the gates essential items like medicine would still be needed. You could try to grow penicillum mould from bread if there were some books on mycology around and pain relief could be achieved by growing poppies and harvesting opium, though more complex medicines that need complex synthesis would need to be looted fairly often. Just remember that without dentistry or antiviotics a decayed (and abscessesd) tooth can kill you.
    Books would also be needed so looting nearby libraries (or even better; college/university libraries) would be helpful, though even children's picture books from a preschool would be useful as there will be children who need to learn to read.
    Even with the "live inside the walls" strategy Alexandria seemed unprepared after five years for a heavy winter storm. They hadn't even checked the chimney in their primary shelter. If you're going to stay inside your walls, you at least want the buildings inside those walls to be safe and usable, they failed at that even. They couldn't even light a fire without starting what I assume was supposed to be a tar fire (Eugene said (a specific type of tar/pitch) and H2O, though with H2O being water I assume the original line was "a mixture of <tar> and O2", since tar is pretty melty and can pour out of a chimney it would either burn the building down or simply seal the chimney off (no explosions sadly) causing the room to fill up with carbon dioxide (CO2) and possibly the more dangerous carbon monoxide (CO), sweeping a chimney isn't hard. If you don't have a brush an old timey way was to get on the roof, lower a rope down, tie that rope to a goose or duck and pull the duck/goose up the chimney. Apparently the flapping of the wings cleaned the chimney out quite well. Obviously the goose/duck would be nearly dead when you got it pulled out so it would be dinner after that. Not very humane, but effective. For larger chimneys it was common to send a young child up one with a brush. Probably a really shitty job.
    The fact they only checked the chimney during a crisis situation reflects poorly on them. They did have 5 years after all.
    Even then, if caught out in the snow some snow holes could be dug (one hole for two people) and these get toasty warm even in winter. The trick is to dig in, down and then set an elevated spot for sleeping on so any water drops (and waste carbon dioxide) sink down into the sump you created. I can't say I've ever had the privilege of sleeping in a snow hole, though I've heard they can get up to 10°C at times, which; with furs or a a sleeping bag, would be comfortable, especially with shared bodily warmth.
    Alexandria could have done a lot to improve their situation. However they hit the pause button for 5 years.

Sorry for the essay, it's essay. It's just my opinion in leadership in Season 9.
    Not that the season didn't have some really good bits in it, Alexandria (and the other communities) could have prepared and maintained more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BlackBird

You're right. They should have done more. Though I'm sure they have achieved some things in this time. Hilltop has Georgie's book, they must have made some use of that. Alexandria has Eugene. They must have acquired books on making medicines too. It's only the Kingdom that has crumbled due to lack of plumbing skills and parts. All a bit silly, how they couldn't find ways of fixing these problems in time.

It's funny how differently we watch this show. You seem to be sitting there shaking your head at all the things they haven't done, or done wrong. I'm cheering them for everything they get right. I'm in awe of them already for surviving 10 years in this world. And I love that Luke is travelling around with musical instruments in the apocalypse. Of course I do hope they smarten up their long term survival skills and get better prepared for conflict, but I'm mostly interested in watching them finding ways to be happy, not just to survive.

• Like Like x 4
  17. DavidDavidaon

I cheer them on too.
    To survive 90%+ of humanity dying is no easy feat.
    I'm not the survivalist type embassies that because I set up a bunch of preps I will definitely survive anything the world can throw at me. I know that if there were some apocalyptic event the numbers would not be on my side; chances are I would be dead within the first few weeks. That said I have a few survival books in the house and I've annotated them with things I've learned (I used to love camping until my knee got really bad) and I've even stapled in fold out sheets on things like suturing skin, or plant identification so if the world does end (highly unlikely at least not in a TWD scenario, or any quick apocalypse scenario) and I'm not around maybe someone who raids my place will benefit from what I left behind, if not maybe my (future) kids or grandkids will add their own stuff, the books I have only really reference things like GPS as an expensive tool that is rarely used, if at all.
    So cheering them on whilst watching is definitely earned, they survived where 9 out of ten others didn't. It's after watching that I start to analyse their methods of surviving, they may have been the lucky ones but they did have 5 years to learn and to teach and it seems that for the most part the producers hit the pause button for those 5 years, other than Judith growing up and Negan changing a bit, not much else has changed; they have a windmill, yeah though considering the massive lack of it being featured; even briefly, in episodes it seems to simply be there for the intro. Speaking of windmills, I'm sure I mentioned somewhere that they were a bad idea if there was a nearby river (water can.be diverted) mainly due to the fact that they aren't the safest structures and they tend to be a huge danger if there's a sudden storm, with a water mill if if the river swells you just open the sluice gate and let the excess water pass by the wheel.
    That said, the show has never really gone in depth when it comes to how they survive, there are moments or occasionally singular episodes though it's more about the characters' individual experiences, rather than being a survival story, so I'm almost certainly overanalysing some parts of it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BlackBird

@DavidDavidaon

Lol, you're definitely overanalysing some parts of, but why not? If that's what grabs your interest in the show? Hell, I overanalyse a lot of stuff in the show, and my family and friends think I'm a freak with my need to talk about the show so much... but I think only by talking (or writing) about something you gain real understanding of your own thoughts. Then allowing and asking for reactions, by letting your thoughts be challenged, and opening yourself up to other people's views, you are able to achieve even deeper understanding.

I'm happy to hear you're cheering our survivors on, despite their failings in making enough progress to meet your expectations. Otherwise it could be a very frustrating watch, lol.
    Actually, I think Hilltop is doing rather well, having done most on achieving sustained living, as well as being open to trade.

Your immersion in studying survival skills might be just a hobby rather than a necessity, but even without the danger of an actual apocalypse, natural disasters and horrendous accidents happen all the time in the world, when people with such knowledge and skills are invaluable to the other survivors. Also, it would do our world a lot of good if we all pushed harder to achieve sustained living. So, there is a lot to be learned from these survival handbooks.

It would actually be very interesting to find out more detail about how our survivors live from day to day. But I think we will continue to get details only in small increments, when it suits the story. Like you said, this is primarily a drama focused on human interaction, exploring morality and the purpose of life. And they've been doing an excellent job of that in Season9, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

I love this thread. Great idea. I had to put some thought into this because so much happened this season that it feels like 9a and 9b were two different seasons. Especially compared to seasons 7 and 8.

1. Favourite moment.
    I think the scene where we first see older Judith saving that group. And the snowball fight.

Lydia and Connie, though I like everyone in Connie's group except her little sister.

Daryl. Especially in the second half of the season. His interactions with Judith, Connie, Michonne and Lydia are terrific. I'm happy to see him...evolving?

4. Favourite episode.
    The Calm Before. The tension was well done, setting up who was going to be piked, the groups coming together, Alpha at the fair, Lydia standing up to her mother.

Judith. From the moment she stepped up to save Yumiko and company through everything that follows. Her and Negan, her talks with Michonne and Daryl. Great writing and acting.

Alpha's conversation with the King at the fair was crazy and creepy and I loved it. Everything about the group from Scars. That was really disturbing.

I don't miss him much to be honest. I know, I know. Sacrilege. I do agree that the communities probably wouldn't have fallen away from each other if he were still there, though.

8. Funniest moment.
    Judith taking Negan out on that bike. And Jerry singing "It's All Right Now" then winking at Carol in the episode with the projector bulb. Carol's expression is priceless. And Negan's Father not the Father comment, followed by Eugene's chuckle.

9. Saddest moment.
    There were too many heavy ones to choose from. I'm going with Michonne destroying that Stradivarius. Absolutely tragic.

Carol torching Jed and the Saviours. Classic Carol.

11. Most annoying thing.
    The elevator scene with Beta bugged me. Shoot some arrows down the shaft, toss down anything heavy that's hanging around. Something to help ensure that he's dead.
    And Henry. Pretty much everything about Henry.

Daryl and Michonne on the swing set in Scars.

I can't think of one? Maybe Henry and Lydia's last conversation, where he kissed her. Even though he died, he saved her in more ways than one. It was sweet. And just about the only thing I liked about Henry.

14. Best walker kill.
    Gabriel and Jadis in the museum. I think it was Gabe that killed the walker and it was stuck to the wall display as the next step in human evolution. Clever.

More great storytelling. The communities working together. More Alpha, who I hope is taken out by Carol. Possible relationship between Connie and Daryl?
    Seeing where they go with Negan. More Lydia. More Judith wisdom. :)

Overall I absolutely loved this season. It reignited that spark that first drew me into this show. I'm really looking forward to what comes next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. BlackBird

@KiernansFaerie

Thank you so much for playing. It's so interesting to read these selections. The similarities, the differences.

I know what you mean about the season feeling like two seasons. It really does.
    Two very good seasons.

Judith and Connie seem to be a huge hit with everyone, it seems.

Daryl... finally getting all these brilliant storylines, one after the other. And words!
    He's got himself a dog, a new friend and a daughter, and back in Alexandria.
    We would have never had this much going on with Daryl, if Rick were still around. So I'm ok with the trade-off.

RIP Stradivarius. :( I like how you chose that moment. That scene was something special, and very much at the heart of this season.

Beta in the elavator? Grrrr. As if Daryl would have left him there without an arrow in his head. But apparently Beta has more story to come, so they allowed Daryl to break character and walk off with a swagger. (At least it was a very enjoyable swagger. :rolleyes:)

The Daryl Michonne moment... one of my favourites too.

[​IMG]

Great choice for 14.

I'm so happy to hear people say they loved this season and feel excited about what comes next.

And Daryl and Connie? I don't dare to hope, but hell yeah. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1