Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Poll: Would It Be Best To Combine Communities and Grow?

Discussion in 'Episode 916 - The Storm' started by WillyJakkz, Apr 8, 2019.

?

Better To Combine Communities and Grow?

1. Yes, use vacated communities as outposts until they grow

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, are you crazy that's far too dangerous

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

We had party poppers when I was a kid at birthday parties. The ones I knew just made a satisfying bang, and there was nothing inside. Maybe confetti. I love your Christmas crackers.

What I really thought could throw people was the word "cracker," which means

[​IMG] .

I could see people going o_O over making one of those snap loudly enough to wake someone up.

For all I know, maybe people do have the entertaining Christmas crackers now. I do see them in stores once in a while (CostPlus had them last year), but never when I was younger. Maybe it is something that has caught on.

I just checked CostPlus. They have some Easter ones right now. :)

[​IMG]

Modeled after the popular Victorian party favors, our pastel-colored crackers are handcrafted of paper and embellished with spring-inspired branches and birds. Pull one end with a friend until they "snap" with a cracking sound. Inside you'll find Easter jokes, a party hat and a special gift.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lindigo

I don't think walker heads deter walkers. Every community would be encircled if they did. Besides, walkers gravitate to each other like magnetic filings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

So there aren't crackers inside? LMAO Just prizes?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Nah, I don't think they do. I think they gravitate to noise, so as a result they end up in a group.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Yeah also I don't think that would be the "look" a community would be going for if they're at the gates.

Nothing says "welcome" to a civilized community like walker heads at the entrance lol

Maybe if they put them about a mile or so away as a deterrent that would maybe be ok.

If anything I think walker head-ka-bobs would lure more bandit or lunatic types sayin' "Yeah this is MY kinda place!" lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Lindigo

You're so smart! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  7. rhizin

rhizin Member

I think so too. Use the existing communities, build up the Kingdom again, and take a leaf out of Rick's book and secure the infrastructure between the communities as much as possible to facilitate trade, and then slowly grow.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Also being in one community would make them vulnerable to a whisperer horde. Trapping a community in its walls would cut off support and supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Yeah that is very true, so you would be on the "it's too dangerous" side of the council.

That said if they were trapped by a Whisperer horde, how could they escape and send someone to the Hilltop for help or support? They dnt have phones lol

My point in all seriousness is being trapped is being trapped unless you meant by chance or scheduled run someone from an outside community was making their way to ASZ and witnessed the horde then rallied their said community to help ASZ.

10. DeadZedHead

If there were regular supply runs or messengers, the trapped community could be able to hold out until the communities can try something. If there is an army that doesn’t need sleep or food surrounding you and there is no one on the outside to help you, you WILL run out of supplies eventually.

Saying Stuff and Thangs!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

We had carrier pigeons long before we had phones. Some WWI tanks even had special holes to send carrier pigeons from (pic related) [​IMG]
    Even then they could (possibly) still use satellite phones for communication. Most satphone sats are on automatically correcting orbits (or geosynchronous orbits) around the earth and would remain functional for the next 20-30 years, so military sat-phones would definitely work, civilian ones with a contract scheme (there would be nobody to shut the contract off when it stops getting paid) would also probably work and if you don't have pigeons or sat-phones you could always use signal flares, you can see a flare for a good few miles, quantity or colour could signal different problems.
    Then, of course you could use old underground cables to transmit Morse code to two different transmitters/receivers, the original Telegraph systems used next to no electricity too; I've heard of 19th century Telegraph systems using electric potential gathered from rods stuck into the ground, no potatoes needed ;)

So long as two independent communication systems were used (such as telegraph & satphone or satphone & pigeon, etc you could easily get an SOS out.

If each community came together to form one mega-community a stone castle would be the best thing they could build. Castles have stood for hundreds (some stone buildings like the collesseum, have stood for thousands) so a castle with two sets of walls and modern artillery set on the walls or in tower's would be almost impenetrable unless the enemy was using weapons such as artillery against you.
    A castle with a keep made from reinforced concrete and an underground bunker would make for an impenetrable shelter; only ground penetrating ("bunker buster") missiles would level the place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

I also would think they'd have a contingency plan if they were surrounded by a horde.

Similar to how Eugene used the drone with the music blasting to lure some of them away.

That or of course build traps and other deterrents to ward them off.

Hell they could even setup a perimeter with guards like a watchtower or something like they already have to warn the guards at the community gates (like ASZ) whenever there's a threat looming.

13. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Great idea but personally I'd be scared shitless staying in a castle where you couldn't see shit but candle lit walls and only hear echoes etc.

You would have no idea of a walker creeping along those halls and I honestly feel like a castle would fall faster in the case of a zombie breach vs an open area community like ASZ etc due to more places to run etc.

Not even the Bud Light Knight could defend that shit lol
    [​IMG]

14. DavidDavidaon

Agreed
    I've come to accept the lack of planning in TWD, it's much more about characters and storyline than it is about a zombie apocalypse.
    Well, that would be a castle of medieval design. They were intentionally cramped (even the staircases went clockwise up so someone attacking couldn't swing their sword) and only the higher class members knew the exact specifics of castles. Most had false steps too, which were designed to trip people climbing stairs who didn't know the castle layout, which would have been quite the fall in chain or plate armour.
    A modern castle could have electric lighting (provided via solar or wind energy) and be designed to stop walkers, rather than people with a pitfall moat onto spikes rather than a wet moat (wet moats took more time to traverse as the water could extend right to the castle walls and that water would offer structural protection below the waterline) and many modern innovations could be added to make the castle easier to build and access (reinforced concrete was only invented in the 20th century for example, so a concrete castle could be quickly and easily built, provided you had the concrete and steel rebar to do it), if you went from a middle to late renaissance castle/fort design and.used modern technology to augment it you could have a small walled city entirely immune to walker attacks in 5-10 years.
    Build it on a river and you even have a never-ending power source.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. DeadZedHead

I like the pigeons but i think even sat phones need an operational ground communication center to work.

16. DeadZedHead

They had trouble with a fireplace. I dont think large scale construction would be a go with this bunch. I know the decision would be plot driven but i wouldnt want to put all my eggs in one basket.

17. DavidDavidaon

@DeadZedHead
    I'm almost sure sat phones simply route the signal through an available satellite and then transmit that signal to another satphone, if you're using satphone-satphone comms. However I could see a phone getting "no service" even if a satellite is available if there was no update from a ground control centre to the satellites, or I could be wrong entirely and their communication goes from phone to satellite to ground control centre and is then routed back to a satellite if communicating to another satphone. This would make.more sense for civilian satphones as it would be easier to keep track of billing. I'm sure someone somewhere has researched this and written an article about it. Shall look up after and edit it in.
    That being said, the military would have had encrypted radios which don't rely on satellite communication and I would assume they have a dedicated ground to satellite to ground network that will work in any condition also which may be what garbage lady was using, though it could have been an encrypted radio.

Assuming they only live half a day apart they could even use smoke signals if they wanted.

That said, constructing a castle isn't exactly in their skill set, but wasn't one an architect? Or is he dead now?

Hilltop has wooden walls, so if the people who set up the keep could easily build a bailey in the lowlands around hilltop. A motte and bailey is as simple as it gets. Keep on a hilltop with a wood wall extension that surrounds the low lying lands. They're relatively near a forest too, so trees for a log wall wouldn't be a huge issue. The only obvious problem is fire, though buckets filled with water could be hung on the walls at strategic points.

Constructing a wood walled fort would be super quick with modern technology too. They managed to set up wood walled forts extremely fast North America (usually in less than a year) to defend against the natives.
    Defences could always be augmented with barbed wire and other modern things too.

18. DeadZedHead

Looks like they need a terrestrial server even for sat phone to sat phone. Short wave still seems like best bet.
    The founder of Alexandria was an architect. I dont know if anyone else was. Knowing what they now face, advance notice is their best line of defense. Time to lockdown and send for help as quickly as possible is key.

19. DavidDavidaon

Yeah
    That being said, they did spend five years spending a whole lot of time doing nothing.
    I would have sent groups out to get G2G vehicle missile systems and the like, as well as (since everything went down in 2010) early run camera quad/hexa/octa-copters) and an artillery piece or two for each community. GPS satellites would continue working (and if they were out of action some military artillery maps would fill the gaps, we have been shooting shells precisely at each other since around 1916; which is long before satellites were put in orbit) so each community could be defended to 5-10 miles out.
    Air bases would also be a good raid zone if they were fairly empty and had flight simulators as well as aircraft (even if they were old planes or choppers, they would still be better than what walkers have), we have to remember that in WWI pilots learned by flying; in WWII pilots learned in what we would call a complex carnival ride, if a real flight simulator was brought back (and the power to use it was generated) people could learn to fly close air support helos or even short take off (and landing) jets. I could (probably) pilot a full size helicopter (though take off and landing would be extremely rough (and may wreck the aircraft) and all I've flown before are 6 axis RC helicopters (which are about as stable as a jenga tower after being hit with a shotgun).
    Assuming there is no military Air Force and that training new pilots would be next to impossible I would say that you could grab and transport mobile artillery guns, or mobile missile launchers from a military base with little issue. After all, since the fall of society was so quick; "last year's" equipment would have mostly been left behind, explaining why one of The Governor's men had a tank.
    You could go far into walker or whisperer territory with a few tanks and a couple of APCs; gun and arrow fire would do next to nothing. Even a HMMVW armed with an automatic grenade launcher would level the playing field against an enemy like the whisperers.

That said, it would ruin the plot of the show. TWD is supposed to show struggle against a quasi-supernatural enemy. Steamrolling walkers at every opportunity would be counterproductive to the series narrative.
    This being said, the survivors have many ways of communication. From smoke signals to military sat phones.

20. DeadZedHead

If they were too prepared there would be no drama. Thats why Negan kept outsmarting Rick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk