Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Was Hershel a racist before the start of the Z.A?

Discussion in 'Episode 203 - Save the Last One' started by Walkers Ate Me, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Walkers Ate Me

This thread is NOT a dig at Hershel, who is one of my favorite characters. But I couldn’t help but notice a few things early on.

He repeatedly referred to Glenn as “the Asian boy.” I understand maybe saying it once just to describe him, but he kept doing it, and obviously disapproved.

There was also the loooooong look he gave T-Dog when he first laid eyes on him, and it wasn’t a friendly one either.

Hershel and his family were isolated from society and maybe he didn’t trust outsiders regardless. BUT the way he kept referring to Glenn was definitely suspect.

I’m not saying that Hershel was on the Merle Dixon level of racism, but he seemed a bit more prejudiced to the members of the group who were not white.

If you watch the very early episodes of the season you’ll notice what I mean. By the time of Barnageddon, he seemed OK with everyone and his displeasure was only really aimed at Shane.

I could be totally wrong but what do y’all think?

2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I strongly believe that Hershel was not a racist.

Keep in mind that Hershel was of a generation when referring to Glenn as "the Asian boy" was socially acceptable.

As for the "long look" Hershel gave T-Dog, remember that T-Dog had a nasty cut on his arm, and could've died and turned quickly.

Hershel also told Rick of the time when the townspeople protested a child stricken with AIDS from attending public school. Hershel was very upset by their reaction and it played a heavy role in his belief that the walkers were sick, not dead.

#2 Rapscallion, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Walkers Ate Me

Good observations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1