Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by surviving, Jan 28, 2020.

1. tink

tink Well-Known Member

2. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

3. tink

tink Well-Known Member

4. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

The Wall Street Journal is reporting a fascinating new way to fight viruses; clinical trials starting in April. Skip to 7:26.

They have the complete genome of this virus. They are going to see what happens when they inject the virus' RNA into the human body. The expectation is that the body itself will produce antigens and then antibodies. Basically the body itself will "produce the vaccine" and you self-immunize yourself. Scary thing to be doing if it doesn't work, but an amazing step forward in medicine if it does.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

To me the delay is a *good* thing. The disease can't be deadly for most people if they feel they can wait. IOW, if people were dropping like flies they'd be starting something on a "compassionate use" basis right away.

If London Breed really cared about SF she'd declare a state of emergency over the homeless defecating on the streets or drug addicts leaving used needles everywhere.

#247 Morgotha, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Morgotha

#248 Morgotha, Feb 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. surviving

8. Morgotha

Yeah, I'm supposed to fly to L.A. in a couple of weeks, and am actually a bit creeped out now whereas I wasn't a couple of weeks ago. Nothing like the potential for spreading infection like putting a bunch of people in a tight space for hours and recirculating their air. Fortunately, I'm not in the high risk group to die of the disease, but don't want to be one of the early ones spreading it, either. In the end, I'll probably just go as the actual risk is likely low. Life goes on.

Hmm, it's probably got at least a 0.2 percent morality rate overall, although some countries show 3-4% at this point. If there are 215 passengers on a 737, even if 100% of them are infected on board you'd need three planefuls to have one person on average die from the disease. That's... comforting?

9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

@Morgotha it looks like there's more articles coming out about this being a lab virus. There's a letter out there from Chinese officials that lends more credence to this theory.

Sooooooooo.... the way I see it, you owe me an apology. JK lol

10. Morgotha

Sure, if I've offended you, I'm sorry!:)

If it IS a virus from a lab though, what would really help would be to know what its purpose was. Some of the viruses our scientists cook up work better on our own people than Asians, or Africans, for instance, (don't ask why we make viruses to work on our own people) and if the same thing is true in Chinese labs and thought we may not be as hard hit.

OTOH, the spread in Iran would indicate that is another baseless hope on my part. Oh well, we'll see.

11. Morgotha

12. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

One thing about this that's ALSO not being talked about enough, and it primarily has to do with the fact that China is withholding information and lying about a lot, but this virus wrecks havoc on the respiratory system, right? Well it's a known fact that a lot of Chinese people have severe respiratory problems already because of air pollution, their working conditions and the fact that a lot of them smoke cigarettes like a little kid eats candy on Halloween.

There's a lot of factors to consider with this epidemic, but thousands have died in China and the leading cause for the majority of these deaths, is that the virus has magnified pre-existing respiratory problems or other major health problems with the individual.

I suspect that this is a factor as to why there's been no deaths among those infected in the US. That, and they are receiving a proper level of care because it has not spun out of control like it has in China, and appears to be doing in Iran. I guess we'll see though. Supposedly it's coming here whether we like it or not.

#255 Jama, Feb 26, 2020
  13. surviving

If this thing spirals out of control in the US then the morality rate will go up due to hospitals becoming over whelmed.
    And myself believe this is a virus that escaped a lab while being studied. Not a bioweopon, it doesn't have the lethality a bioweopon would have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Which is essentially what I just stated.

:D;)

But yes. Easier for these emergency management people to deal with 35 cases than thousands. However, we have the CDC and China has whatever it is that they have. I'll put my money on the CDC's ability to handle this better than China has, any day.

15. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Wear a respirator. Sip your complementary soda pop through a bendy straw. Honestly, people should always wear respirators on planes. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. surviving

Got link to Chinese letter?

17. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member