Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Michonne's Exit

Discussion in 'Episode 1013 - What We Become' started by Neuropyramidal, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

What did you think? As believable as they could make it? Not without flaws, but I think Kang can count this as a success. I enjoyed most of the call backs to Michonne's earlier moments. In short, it worked for me. What say you?

2. blundig

blundig Member

I hated every second of it. So defeatist after seeing Alpha's head rolling around. I was yelling for Michonne to behead that selfish guy with the weak face the second he appeared to be full of it. Then when he bent down to put the shoe on, and many other times during that weak faced self-indulgent routine. Then not wasting him after? And inviting him on the boat? Totally enraging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I mean the alternate history was an interesting idea, but to me it didn't really work that well. It probably would have been better had it taken up more screen time. Less of Virgil and his nonsense and more of Michonne having dreams of "what might have been" would have worked better.

The reveal that Rick was on that boat was cool, but again done poorly. I guess the idea is Rick was on that boat at one point but it actually wasn't connected to Virgil or the island, it just happened to wash up on that island. I don't know. This episode was full of a cool ideas that all just didn't work well for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The Virgil stuff was the weak point of the episode, I agree. But overall, planning out a palatable way for Michonne to leave without dying, I think Kang pulled it off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

As long as we had to lose Michonne, this was the way to do it. Much more satisfying that she should find some items that would make her believe that Rick may be alive somewhere out there than to have her killed, or languishing forever in Virgil’s crazy holding cell while no one knew what had happened.

I think as a viewer we had to wait for that payoff by going through some crap. Was there a moral to the episode? Maybe that mercy can have great rewards. Take the hallucinations. If Michonne had chosen to abandon Andrea, we saw how she may have ended up and we wouldn’t have had the time line we cherish. She showed mercy to Andrea and eventually that led to love, family and community.

On the island, when she finally escaped with the other captives there was a moment when Virgil’s life hung in the balance. She advocated for mercy which led to her finding the “Rick clues”. Had she given in to anger and either killed Virgil herself or had allowed the others to do it he would not have been there to bring her to where she made her discoveries.

I hope through the movies we can see more of her journey to find Rick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I honestly think they did a very poor job explaining why she won't be in the show again. She is the leader of these communities by this point and is raising a couple kids. And she is just going to leave all that behind in order to chase down a guy she hasn't seen for seven years or so.

They honestly should have just killed her off instead of having her forget her responsibilities to go find Rick. Maybe something like that would have been acceptable if it was meant to take place shortly after Rick left. But not almost a decade after he left.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. I think there should be a hardline rule on the show where the moment an actor goes "I'd like to pursue other projects" or whatever bullshit, their character should be given the most unsatisfying ending right away. It felt forced, it felt dumb and the whole episode felt out of character. And I LOVE Michonne.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. purriwinkle

She was a leader, not the only leader on the council. While I agree her fighting skills might be missed, there are others that will step up, have stepped up to fill the void. She couldn’t leave when Rick supposedly blew up. She was pregnant and Judith was little.

As far as being a mother, and leaving her kids I find that a bit far fetched but she trusts Daryl and others to look after them while she’s gone. Judith isn’t helpless thanks to the fine training Michonne gave her. I only wish she had started training RJ but Judith will teach him. Not something I would do but Rick is the love of her life, and Judith gave her the go ahead. Not even RJ cried or asked that his mommy come home.

I’m sure she’s rationalized it to herself that she won’t be gone long and now that she’s found something she had given up on she needs answers or closure or Rick. We may never see it but those of us who love a hopelessly romantic story line can play along.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

One of the reviews for this episode said the 'very least she could have done is talk to someone over the age of eight to confirm that they were ok'. But nope. Guess when you are going to leave your kids and all your responsibilities all you need is the word of an eight year old.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. purriwinkle

Lol. I get it that not everyone is going to like this. I appreciate that they gave us a whole episode to try to give some explanation as to why her character won’t be around. I like it better than say Maggie, who was the the leader of Hilltop, just disappearing without much information about why and where she went. Or what the hell ever happened to Heath?

Judith is 10 going on 25. That girl has been offing walkers and she just had her first live kill. While she’s still a child she has status in their world and she knows her mom. She wanted her mom to find her dad and I wouldn’t have been surprised if Michonne had gotten support from others too in her mission had she gone back first. Then she would have had to sneak off so Daryl wouldn’t tag after her, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

If you take Virgil out of this episode very quickly, as in Michonne realizing he was off the wall and leading to a struggle where he dies, it would've been great. I liked all the other aspects (flashbacks, Judith etc) but he hurt the episode. They could've had her arrive on the island feverish and that would instead lead to the flashbacks.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

A fix to it could be that a storm happens and Michonne disappears, or simply put, they never hear from her again, until she is in the movie with Lincoln...or something.

Virgil is probably the luckiest guy with bad luck. He ****s up so many times, lies poorly and then somehow by share luck manages to get out of so many situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. walkon

walkon Active Member

Don't I wish . . .

One thing I can say is that they sure can mess up a great character. I'm in mourning. . . lol

14. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I absolutely disagree. To give a character "the most unsatisfying ending right away" is very short sighted and voids so many possible future storylines. All the whining and moaning on here like kids not getting their own way and throwing tantrums. She was on the show for 7.5 seasons so cut her some slack.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know how I feel about this episode.

I did like the part towards the end where she sliced up two walkers and recreated her walker companions.

16. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was basically a big big big filler episode. Almost at the same level as Morgans "This is how I became a epic lvled Dungeons and Dragons monk" episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

I just don't know what the point of showing us what Michonne could of been if she never saved Andera, was Michonne not thankful for finding Rick or something, why is she tripping balls about this? I think it would of been fine if they just showed us the final scene where she remembers Rick looking at her while she was up against the link fence and that's it. I also think it would of been more intriguing if Virgil was apart of that group at the end, like he got separated from the pack by a huge herd or something and we spent the episode exploring that. The fake out/ lying/ druging part was just cringey to me, they definitely were going for 905 Rick type of ending and failed. Like most I liked the stuff after that, but still it just felt like nothing other than a way to get Michonne outside of the story and hope for finding Rick. Disappointing end episode for Michonne. Danai was great as always and I'ma miss her so damn much, and hopefully she comes back at the end, which I have no doubts she will.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I’m mostly very happy with her exit. On the whole I got exactly what I wanted. She found out Rick is alive, and she is now on her way to find him and bring him home. This is everything. ;)

I also loved the hallucinations.

What I didn’t like about her exit:

1. Gap between the episode we last saw her in and this episode was too long. We have somewhat lost touch with her and got fully engrossed in the story what’s going on with the rest of Team Family. Suddenly we were yanked out from the main story that Michonne is not part of, at a crucial time.

2. Due to this long gap and some very odd un-Michonne-like mistakes I’ve found it hard to reconnect with my favourite character in her last episode. Perhaps I need to rewatch to find that loving feeling.

3. The whole stupid Virgil story just got in the way and annoyed me and distracted me from focusing on Michonne.

4. She had a beautiful goodbye with Judith. But I’m sad she didn’t get to have that with anyone else. Especially Daryl. They should have had Daryl in the room with Judith. We should have seen his reaction. He should have given Michonne his blessing. I'm kind of hoping we still get to see that. Daryl is basically put in a full parental role now for two young children, and that shouldn’t be just a message through Judith. come on, they must give us a conversation between Michonne and Daryl. This is too big for not to happen, no?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I didn't even consider a scene between Daryl and Judith, but now that you mention it, I would've liked that too. That was her exit though, so I don't expect anything else. I would've liked to see his reaction to Rick having survived the explosion. They would've had time for this too if they had just killed that idiot Virgil at the start of the episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Oh, they really should have, he was so annoying.

I don't think the Daryl/Michonne part would have needed much timewise. A 20 second scene would have sufficed: the camera moving onto Daryl's face as he listens to the conversation, then slowly reaching for the walkie talkie to say, "go bring him home, Michonne. Take care of yourself".

A much better 20 seconds then watching Michonne walking in front of batshit crazy Virgil. o_O

#20 BlackBird, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1