Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

1013 What We Become Rating Thread

Discussion in 'Episode 1013 - What We Become' started by Dnae, Mar 21, 2020.

?

What say you?

1. 10/9 A splendid send off for Michonne. Damn near perfect

23.5%
  2. 8/7 A solid send off for Michonne.

11.8%
  3. 6/5 Middling. Not great, not awful. Simply put...a good episode, average in nature

41.2%
  4. 4/3 A sub par episode. No great moments. No great revelations.

11.8%
  5. 2/1 A woeful episode. 'Nuff said

11.8%
  1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

It was her swan song, her see you later alligator

Give your rating of the episode on a scale of however you wish to calculate

2. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

Without giving spoilers: I'll give it a 6. I did not like how Virgil was woven into this story at all. The first half felt kind of pointless. 2nd half was better, couple nice reveals. Ending shot had me most intrigued.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

For now I will say that this episode is certainly (and expectantly) a different tone than the previous four episodes. Expecting it to be as fast paced and nail biting as 1009 through 1012 is just setting yourself up for a degree of disappointment.

In an effort to not post spoiler type musings the best I can offer until after Sunday nights airing is that there are moments in the episode that are excellent. There are moments in the episode that happen without a solid reasoning/purpose. A number of scenes had me crying. And one in particular had me damn near sobbing. Personally there was one scene that I thought deserved a bit more emotion than it was given. And one scene (and I do not think I have ever said this) where the music almost removed me, mentally, from the bigger picture - it was over the top.

On first watch I was leaning at a 6.5 to 7 rating. On second watch I was able to view without any preconceived notions and immerse myself a bit more fully into the layers of the episode rather than just the surface of the episode.

For now I am sitting between 7.5 and a low 8 EDIT (3/22/20) Self Isolating gives me A LOT of time to rewatch and re-evaluate. On first watch I was rather harsh. I was letting one or two bad apples/scenes spoil the whole bunch/episode. I am still confused about a few points but I will wait to address after the episode airs tonight. Aside from that and the ending music I really did like this episode. It was not at all what I was expecting and I thought it was done rather well (not perfectly). It made for an interesting journey for Michonne in her final episode.

So I am amending my rating to a solid 8.5

#3 Dnae, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Didn't like it. The reveal was obviously the high point, the alternate history was interesting, but overall it was a boring episode that wasn't really captivating.

The final scene was confusing, I am assuming it was implied that the convoy was connected to Rick in some way. Why else would Michonne help those people? I get that she just went through an experience but she's not going back to protect her kids because she wants to find Rick. Helping these people seems like a side quest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. blundig

blundig Member

Enraging, defeatist drivel, and should have killed that guy way before he imprisoned and tortured them. And talking the others into letting him on the boat. 100% lack of credibility. What a doormat. Glad she's leaving.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The first half of the episode with the Virgil stuff I was thinking this was not going to be a stellar episode. The second half was quite solid for me and I give Kang kudos for pulling of the hard task of creating an exit for her that largely worked.

I give it an 8.5. If the first half had been as good as the second half, it probably would have been a solid 9 or above.

7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

And admins, are we planning on bring this episode to the clickable forefront?

• Like Like x 1
  8. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

4/10

That wasn't Michonne, totally out of character to be dumb like that (she walked in front of Virgil in the house, that was suicidal), and after everything, she still walked in front of him when looking for her sword... She used to be my favorite character, but a bottle episode on a character we haven't seen for so long just didn't work. It was forced into a single episode, and so predictable... Probably the low-point of this season. Glad we won't have to deal with what follows for a long while.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

Didn't do much for me. She got her swan song, but, as others have said, didn't seem in character to me really.

I honestly believe the twist where a boat washes up from New Jersey to the place she goes on an island in Virginia and said boat had RG paraphernalia on it would fit right in with the baloney we have been subjected to on FTWD lately.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Ehhh. For the last episode the actress is going to be playing the character (at least for this show and good chance she won't play the character again at all) I don't think they did a very good job explaining why we won't see the character again. She was pretty much the leader of the three communities by the time she left and she is going to listen to a ten year old about rather to come back or not?

And sorry but I don't think trying to find Rick is a very good explanation for why she is leaving the kids she was leaving……..especially considering it has been about six or seven years by this point since Rick left. Reminds me of women who choose their boyfriends over their kids.

I guess that can become a running joke for actors that want to leave the show. You want to leave? No prob. We will just write into the story that you are leaving to go find Rick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I was replying to your post in the other thread and had not seen this. But exactly. They've been way too accomodating for actors who just had "better things to do".

12. cycles

cycles Member

This was an average episode. The story was mildly interesting but not riveting.

Michonne left her kids in danger because her ten year old daughter told her to go look for Rick. That makes very little sense. It also makes no sense for her to go on foot when they have horses.

The last scene was an interesting reveal but not a satisfying one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I'm unsure at this point how I feel about the episode. I didn't like the begining. And when Michonne was locked up by Virgil, I bordered a bit on ambivalent. But I really liked the ending when she found Rick's things (which a lot of us speculated would be the reason they used for her leaving). The scene with Judith was touching too. So I liked how the episode ended a lot, but the Virgil stuff still bothers me.

Overall I think it would've been better if Michonne realized Virgil was crazy, had to kill him and then found those other people he imprisoned. From there she found Rick's stuff etc. I just didn't like his whole deal. He was like something that crawled out of the Fear series.

What I like most about this though is it gives me the feeling that the series will end with a Rick, Michone, Judith and RJ (yeah Daryl too) reunion. I have no doubt about that now. I'm not sure if that's going to be in the movies, or on the TV side though. With the ending we had in the last episode, they're really tacitly promising us that now.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I dunno, I really enjoyed this episode - i gave it a 10, my first of the season.

DG is a phenomenal actress, and she really did a fabulous job. Loved seeing her alternate world where she hooks up with Negan. And her face when she saw Rick's boots, she didn't need any words, it was all there on her face.

15. walkon

walkon Active Member

This episode was a big disappointment for me. Michone was once my favorite character. Going off and leaving her kids for her boyfriend (who might not even be alive then) was the last straw for me. Children should be a mother's first responsibility. Had he been given the choice, I think Rick would have told her to stay with them and he will find his way back to them. If I hadn't been so disgusted with that I would have veen bored with the episode, so there's that. lol
    This episode only missed being the worse (for me) by the goat man episode.

16. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I wasn't liking the episode halfway in. Didn't like the hallucination scene, but it showed the altered universe Michonne could have fallen into if she hadn't helped Andrea. I do think that was interesting now that I've reflected on it.
    I do agree with other posts on here about Michonne not being careful. I was thinking the exact same thing "why is she walking into the room ahead of Virgil again!!". As for leaving the kids, I think they gave that enough closure because she got to talk to Judith and she also knows that Alpha isn't a threat any longer so the kids are in good hands. I give it a 7.5 but want to get back to our main group next episode. I'll have some further thoughts in other threads.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

A 5 for me as I found it a bit slow.
    I really didn’t care for the whole “inner fight” with Michonne, because I felt she had already gone through this battle in the past.
    I did like the end though, and where that can lead to.

The truth is out there

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. lastcat3

I think the fact that they were in the middle of a battle with the Whisperers makes Michone's reason for leaving and taking the word of a little kid even worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

But she's taking the word of a very mature kid. I think she'd know that Judith wasn't lying. And Judith practically begged Michonne to go and try to find The Brave Man. Perhaps Michonne feels she owes it to Judith and RJ to try to find Rick if possible.

20. lastcat3

Yeah and I know several pretty mature kids as well. And I still wouldn't trust any of them for a second to make adult decisions (especially while her people were in the middle of a war). The very least they could have done is bring in Norman Reedus to do a scene to assure Michonne that everything was ok. It was just bad writing plain and simple. Probably the worst writing this show has ever had.