Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by surviving, Jan 28, 2020.

1. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

3. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

What does this even mean? Even you must know that Albany is quite a distance from NYC which is where the subway problem exists. He gets briefed from all areas of the state, naturally, from the elected representatives from each geographical region. Not to mention he’s undoubtably talking to all sorts of groups, and professional organizations that are interested in how they can eventually re-open along with medical facilities which give him the daily count as to the number infected, deaths, how many are quarantined and the like along with making recommendations as to how the virus can be kept to a minimum, how many beds are available, PPE readiness yada yada yada. Then he makes decisions based on what he hears. I imagine that’s how it works in every state, so what’s your point?

4. surviving

Virus-afflicted 2020 looks like 1918 despite science’s march

https://apnews.com/6c45a08d3c2ea96e4edeb7e55a6a107e

I've read several books recently on the Spanish flu. Everything occurring now seems to already happened during the Spanish flu. Please note what happened to San Francisco in 1918 when they loosened restrictions too soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. purriwinkle

So write him with your revelations. Do you even have any idea as to the sheer size of the subway system in NYC? Even doing what they’re attempting to do now is a massive undertaking. I wish them well. When you’re underground it’s a whole different world.

I liked the story about the Farmer and the mask. It was heart warming, encouraging in a time when people need it and quite frankly just good PR, which is part of the job like it or not.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/subway-cl...meless-safe-shelter-options/story?id=70429030

An interesting side note:

https://ny.curbed.com/maps/nyc-subway-secret-tunnels

6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I won't name any names specifically, but someone here really loooooooooooves Cuomo. DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT CUOMO!!! lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. surviving

Homeless people safer to be around in Albany than NYC. Less chance of infection. Photo op

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. purriwinkle

I liked the catchy slogans.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. purriwinkle

As for Albany, I’m not sure they even have a subway system although I’m sure they have a homeless population. Anyone who can’t disinfect themselves, change their clothes, or needs to approach people to beg for money is in a more precarious position than ever before IMO. One upside of not living in NYC is that it’s easier to distance yourself from a smaller homeless population, if you’re even going out much where you’d run into them. Also easier for authorities to get them off the streets if it becomes necessary. Tough times for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. surviving

I know right. I excel at copy and paste sometimes. Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. surviving

12. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

The point was that since both Cuomo and de Blasio get driven around everywhere and don't take the subway themselves, the potential for infection on the subway doesn't affect them directly.

I'd bet that if every day Cuomo's driver picked him up there were a couple of homeless people sleeping in the car he was riding in he'd find a way to have them removed. That's the type of effort I'd like to see him put in to ridding the subway of its most obvious infection risk.

13. Morgotha

I thought I read where ridership is down 95%, and there are millions out of work in NYC. If there was EVER a time where something like this could be done, it's now.

It would not be a hard thing at all to hire in a couple of men to stand at each subway entrance and make sure people had tickets, or one could even use the National Guard. LOL, you know where the REAL problem would be? The public workers' unions would scream bloody murder if these weren't all made union jobs (which would end up being prohibitively expensive). Cuomo isn't going to want to see the powerful unions saying he has to go every day on t.v., so in the end, nothing will get done.

14. Morgotha

A woman has been sentenced to 7 days in jail for reopening her hair salon in order to feed her family. I understand that laws have to be followed and an example periodically needs to be made. However, when you have people like Gov. Newsom releasing actual criminals back in to the population because of the coronavirus risk, is it really such a good idea to throw this woman in jail? Why not give her "house arrest" with the stipulation that if she breaks it and goes back to the salon she'll get 10 *years* in a real prison? That would likely be enough to convince her to stay home.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...g-coronavirus-lockdown/ar-BB13EcuS?li=BBnb7Kz

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Morgotha

16. purriwinkle

Oh ye of little faith, Gov. Cuomo is getting the job done. They began emptying the trains Wednesday at 1 am to clean and disinfect the cars. You can read about it here:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2020/05/06/nyc-overnight-subway-service-shutdown

And here’s another one (among many) about how it’s effecting different groups:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...fforts-to-reduce-homeless-in-subway-outreach-

These articles will also give you links to others at the bottom of their page

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Morgotha

I think it's great that they are cleaning the cars in general, and it's too bad it took the Wuhan virus to decide cleaning them was worthwhile.

As far as removing the homeless goes, since this is an airborne virus, just removing them at 1 a.m. won't do much to stop the spread of infection. What *would* be useful is getting them off the trains and out of the stations during the day when people are using the system.

It's like with my "Cuomo's car" analogy. If Cuomo kicked the hoboes out of his limo at 1 a.m. and had it cleaned, would he still ride in it during the day if by the time the limo pulled up at his house in the morning there were a couple of new hoboes laying down on the seats inside? Probably not.

18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. purriwinkle

It’s a start, and homeless people need enough money to buy a token to be able to ride again but that’s why they’re doing it nightly. I take it you’ve never been to NYC. The city literally doesn’t sleep so to speak. Massive numbers of people are on those trains around the clock in normal times. It DID take something major like Corona Virus and an over 90% fewer ridership to be able to even to undertake such a task.

To be honest, I’ve never heard of ANY US city attempting to clean and sanitize ANY public transportation system on a daily basis but leave it NYC to be, if not the first, one of the first to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I've been to NYC numerous times and I'll tell you what, it's unlike any other city in America. Perhaps the world. It's the 7th largest city in the world in terms of total population, and it rivals the population density of those larger cities.

I've been on the subway at night/early morning and there's always people on it. Sure, it's not jam packed like in the morning or evening commute times, but it's still got a lot of people. More than the average amount of people on a public transit vehicle in any other US city. I promise you that.

There's people everywhere, and in all of the boroughs, not just Manhattan. But Manhattan is somewhat of a different animal altogether. It's small, it's an island and it's got a ton of people. And I wonder if all three of those factors contribute to why it's the city that never sleeps.... because it can't. It's designed for nonstop operations.

But sadly, when something like COVID-19 happens, these things that make New York City so great, turns into its biggest weakness.

It's no easy task to grind that city to a halt and it's no easy task to take the normal operations of a city and then switch gears toward doing something different, like disinfecting the entire subway system. This isn't a city with a 50 or 60 bus routes like lame-ass Portland Oregon. lmao.

This system handles hundreds of routes that go in every direction. Probably thousands of individual train cars. I can't imagine the scope of how big their public transit network is. I get intimidated every time I've had to look at a route map to see where I was and where I needed to go. It feels like there's a thousand different options to choose from. It's insane how they manage to make it all work.

#1680 Jama, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1