Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Many Faces of Negan

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Virginia Blake, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Virginia Blake

Negan is the "fella" we all "love to hate" or "love to love" depending on which side of the Fan Fence you're on. I'm posting a series where we discuss the various facets of Negan's personality, based on his behavior over a long period of time. Chronology will be discussed as it's relevant to the videos/photos that are posted. Character development is the main focus.

In this video what do you think of Negan's tears?

[​IMG]

2. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Good question. It's a very complex set of emotions. I read it something like this:

Before Rick cuts his throat:

There's some resemblance of grief in those tears at the mention of Carl, there is also something like fatigue, like a part of him wished Rick/Carl was indeed right about this, but it was far too late, and there was some sorrow, that he was going to have to kill Rick, because he had some undoubted respect for the guy.

Then after Rick cut his throat:

Betrayal. Disgust. Unpreparedness for death. A "not like this". Fear of dying.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Virginia Blake

Good observation. I look at that scene , based upon Negan's past and current behavior. He very well might be psychopathic, if he were a real person. He has shown a historical lack of compassion, empathy and conscience. He's very narcissistic on top of all that. When he cried........in this scene...I feel it's more based on crying for himself. What he lost............what he didn't get..............what he's got coming. In season 10 he does admit that he loves power. Some things never change.

4. BlackBird

I think that’s true for the tears after Rick cut him, but what I find a lot more interesting is that he appeared to be crying (or near enough) before that. How would you describe Negan's emotions just prior to Rick’s move?

#4 BlackBird, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  5. BlackBird

This was such a crucial moment in the show, it's so interesting to examine it again now, from a few years' perspective.

It completely explains why Rick had to save Negan immediately after he almost killed him.

To save his own life, Rick betrayed Carl. He used Carl's words of peace to distract Negan. Talking about the end of fighting like some attainable heaven on Earth, he committed yet another murder, going completely against what Carl wanted. It was such an incredibly layered moment. Part of me cheering for Rick, part of me horrified about how he did it. And then Negan adds his loaded comment "Look what you've done. Carl didn't know a thing." In other words, Rick hears it loud and clear that Carl was deluded, he didn't know what a monster his own father was and how he couldn't keep his promises to his own son, how he couldn't honour him in his death. Rick had to take back what he did, he had to make it right immediately. He really had no choice but save Negan, or he would have lost his last morsels of humanity in that moment.

This really was a "TWD at its best" moment.

6. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Rick cutting Negan's throat vs Negan cutting Alpha's throat.
    I think there is a parallel and contrast here, especially both involving a kid (Carl vs Lydia).
    Of course, Carl was Rick's son while Lydia is Alpha's daughter.

Can someone do a detail comparison analysis?

7. BlackBird

Hm. Interesting Lockdown Challenge, @Blueman.

Both acts were committed by tricking their opponents.
    They involved an element of betrayal.
    Alpha didn't see it coming, nor did Negan.
    Alpha was fooled by Negan's loyalty, and Negan by Rick's honour.

Both acts involved a mixture of hate and respect:

Negan was impressed with Alpha in some ways, had some respect for her, then hatred swept through him at the prospect of her wanting to kill her own child, which tipped him over the fence to act.

This worked out the other way when Negan was going to kill Rick.
    He hated Rick, he was became a bane of his existence, but at the same time couldn't help having some respect for him, hence the tears in his eyes as he was about to kill him.

No doubt Negan remembered this moment with Rick when he was about to kill Alpha, choosing to do it the very same way as Rick nearly killed him.

The addition of a non-present child is also fascinating.

Both incidents included children Negan cared about.
    He killed Alpha (in a big part) for Lydia. When it boiled down to that, he acted without hesitation.
    Back in the day, he halted at the mention of Carl, when he was about to kill Rick, which allowed Rick to turn the tables.

Also interesting to note that it was in fact Carl who saved both Rick's and then consequently Negan's life in this conflict, and it was protecting Lydia that has finally brought Negan his freedom.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Raga

Raga New Member

Negan...the scariest villain of all time....I remember how I used to come to the edge of my seat with terror whenever Negan appeared on screen after that headbanging scene ....lol...twd showrunners took villainism to its extreme I think...I'm a person who always watches suspense, thrillers or horror movies...But nothing scared me more than seeing Negan in twd.

9. Virginia Blake

I think that's a damn good analogy. He was grieving for himself and the "kingdom" he had lost.

10. Virginia Blake

sorry I'm so damn late LOL. Great comparison . I hadn't thought about it. One I missed. Rick cutting Negan's throat. The point was to defeat the Saviors and keep his people safe from Negan and his gang. Rick knew that if the Saviors won, Negn wanted to take Carl (like he did Daryl) and "mold him into his image". So rick's was more of a humanitarian motive.

As for Negan cutting Alpha's throat, just recall what Lydia said to Negan when she told him off. He killed Alpha for a selfish reason. What he wanted from Carol for himself. It had nothing to do with "protecting"Lydia or anyone, from Alpha & the whisperers. So his motive for killing Alpha was selfish and not humanitaian. Nothing more than a mercenary

This is only my assessment as both a fan and as a fun/hypothetical behavioral sciecne perspective.

11. Virginia Blake

FOLKs!!!! I plan to get back to my MANY FACES OF NEGAN Series by tomorrow. I've neglected it through April and this month. I didn't think this TWD fan site was very active. and that no one was interesed in the post. Thanks for proving me wrong. If you have specifical scenes of Negans you want to discuss please post them.

12. Virginia Blake

Sorry I almost missed that question. Negan was being publicly humiliated. He was losing in front of everyone. He was crying in defeat and shame.......for himself. Like any true psycho/socio/antisocial personality. Compare it to the fight to death with Simon. THAT's what he wanted with Rick, but didn't get it.

#12 Virginia Blake, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  13. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

That's a great observation, the betrayal in his eyes. As if the mere mention of Carl brought out a glimmer of hope that they could find peace, only to have Rick betray him....in his eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Virginia Blake

It was a GREAT moment in the fairly realistic human drama of TWD. Rick did use Carl's words against Negan. He was fair game for it. As Negan has manipulated others as a daily tactics using their own words against them. Rick's turn to use Carl's. . As for the insult Negn threw at Rick about his parenting of Carl, well,; self interest and hatred there. Negan hated Rick and Daryl for their "goodness" and how others respected them. He'd never get respect from anyone;, just fear.

Was Rick really a monster? What had he done that was selfish, for personal gain and enjoyment of hurting others? Yes, I'm describing Negan, not Rick. That's the basic difference. Self gain killing vs Survival killing.

I think he let Negn live because of his grief over Carl. Carl had asked to let Negan live as part of his Death Bed Epiphany of "Why can't we we all just get along"? atonement. Happens to alot to people that know they are dieing. Doesn't mean the motive or the action is realistic. Daryl later pointed that our to Rick down in the pit together.

You sure raised some valid points. Alot was going on under that tree with the busted church window. Love tht symbolism. LOL

15. Virginia Blake

[​IMG]

THE MANY FACES OF NEGAN
    Negan is the "fella" we all "love to hate" or "love to love" depending on which side of the Fan Fence you're on. I'm posting a series where we discuss the various facets of Negan's personality, based on his behavior over a long period of time. Chronology will be discussed as it's relevant to the videos/photos that are posted. Character development is the main focus.

FOLKs!!!! I plan to get back to my MANY FACES OF NEGAN Series by tomorrow. I've neglected it through April and this month. I didn't think this TWD fan site was very active. and that no one was interesed in the post. Thanks for proving me wrong. If you have specifical scenes of Negans you want to discuss please post them.

Here's a meme for now.

https://twdamc-confessions.tumblr.com/post/147365597358/did-anyone-else-notice-that-negan-has-no-ass