Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Sopranos

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Stealth, May 22, 2020.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I'm doing a rewatch of the Sopranos. Not only does it hold up well, but I'm appreciating it even more the second time around. The writing is impeccable. It's not easy to inject humor into a drama series but it just flows so naturally with this show. Lots of smaller things I'm picking up on too that I missed on the first viewing. Such a well done series.

2. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

The idea of a mobster going for therapy is a great premise. I always enjoyed the dynamic between Tony and Dr. Melfi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stealth

The dynamic between Tony and Dr. Melfi is even more interesting for me the second time around. In some ways he's using his therapy to be an even better mob boss. He's more perceptive of people and their actions, which at points has enabled him to more quickly see through people that are betraying him. Also the part where Melfi is in her own therapy, and treating Tony in some ways is facing some of her own problems.

4. Stealth

Almost done with my rewatch of the series. Just the final 4 episodes to go. Originally I had some problems with the final season, but it's going well for me now that I'm watching the episodes more closely together. The expectations were so high too for the conclusion of the Sopranos. The pieces fit better for me this time around.

5. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/20...ny-saints-of-newark-postponed-until-2021.html

They are doing a prequel movie. Gandolfini's son plays Tony.
    Also David Chase disclosed what happened to Tony in a recent interview if you care to Google.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stealth

Have been looking forward to the prequel film even though we did have previous flashbacks of his earlier life in the series. It'll be interesting to get back into that world again.

The Chase disclosure was a little surprising to me. He liked to keep it open ended and then just dropped that "death scene" remark in the interview. Then he pretended to be bothered that the interviewer "dragged it" out of him. But Chase is too smart for that. He purposely let it be known.

When I first watched the series I thought that the screen turning to black was simply the end of the narrative. The reason was the song, "Don't Stop Believin," was played. It gave the feel that Tony was just going to keep living the same life, and going through the same cycle we'd seen since Season 1.

On my second watch I felt he was killed. The bigger question though is who did it. He seemed to have a truce with New York, and they wouldn't have killed him in front of his family like that.

I'd like to see a sequel at some point, addressing the aftermath. Maybe that's on Chase's mind now too, and why he let it be known that Tony was actually dead.

7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

where is this? Netflix? I never saw the show. OH! maybe on HBO on Demand.....I have that now. LOL

8. Stealth

Yes, it's on HBO