Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Crazy Rich Asians

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Morgotha, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

This movie came out some time ago, but I just saw it this weekend. I'm posting a mini-review here because I read a review on it after I saw it which said in part:

"Smash hit Crazy Rich Asians relies heavily upon its attractive cast, lavish production, unique setting, laugh-out-loud comedy, and comfortable formula to carry the day."

... as if that was a bad thing for a rom com. Yes, let's criticize an enjoyable movie for being enjoyable!

Anyway, CRA is a Cinderellaesque rom com set in mainly in Singapore, revolving around the heroine Rachel Chu being a poor but bright and pretty economics professor and her handsome boyfriend Nick Young being an always broke-appearing but as Rachel eventually finds out is actually an extremely wealthy scion of one of Asia's richest families.

The movie involves their romance and how he takes her to meet his parents for his best friend's wedding. They have some very funny moments in the film and a lot of just silliness. Some gross displays of wealth that are crass beyond belief but obviously fit someone's idea of the fantasy life, but... if you want to watch a gooey rom com, that travels down a road you know well and ends up at your favorite destination, watch this movie! It's very entertaining.

Oh, I would like to see a more serious sequel, if the writers were motivated in that direction. Rachel loves teaching, and Nick is expected to return to run the family business. They are going to get married, and it's assumed that in the end they'll end up back in Singapore with Nick running the megacorp. What will Rachel do then? Have children? Teach somewhere? Write books? Try and integrate into Nick's family, or just give up and drink all day and badmouth the women around her? What will she do? What will the next 5 years bring? I'd like to know.

2. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I saw it about a month ago and I was not impressed. Not really my type of movie. Also kind of shallow.

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I can understand your POV, but for me there's a lot of stuff in there. Gossip making it halfway around the globe before you even leave a restaurant, fighting over a bargain table, the in-laws' family! Sure, it's not Jason Bourne save-the-worldish, but it's relatable and important.

And then there's the outlandish stuff that's over the top for the sake of being over the top. And why not? that can be fun to see and cluck about.

Oh, one thing though. The movie started out with a really negative racist incident in England that was not tied to the movie at all. That scene should have been left on the cutting room floor.

#3 Morgotha, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  4. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Just watched this myself. Loved it. The antics of Awkwafina and Nico Santos even had my husband laughing.

5. johnnyy

johnnyy New Member

I read so many positive reviews about this movie, I'm gonna watch it in the near future.