Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 current racial troubles

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Jun 16, 2020.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I saw an interesting movie years ago about society being able to detect a crime before it happened therefore apprehending the individual before he could commit it. We don’t live in that made up universe. We can usually only react to something once it has happened unless someone with pre-existing knowledge of some premeditated crime speaks up.

No one could change the scenario of what occurred leading up to Floyd’s death. The police in charge had to make decisions as to how they would handle it at that moment. They chose incorrectly. This was a non violent crime. Their lives weren’t in danger but they chose to escalate and then murder a man they were incapable of handling in a reasonable manner. The minute he said he couldn’t breath, even prior to the knee, medical personnel should have been called in. Period. Were they stupid? Did they not keep up with what was happening around the country in other similar instances? Did they not recognize that putting their knee on someone’s neck and keeping it there well after the apprehended man was unresponsive could prove to be dangerous? If they had an once of common sense maybe Mr. Floyd would still be alive. We won’t know until the trials but there’s a whole bunch of would have, could have, should haves there as well. At least they’re still with us to answer some of those questions.

We’ve already discussed the idea that crime is steadily increasing in major cities and it has been disputed. No change there.

I believe the protests in Portland morphed from initially being solely centered on BLM to a fight against heavy handed, Federal involvement trying to subvert a citizens right to protest.
    How much of what happened violently in Portland was a result of the Feds being present? Would things have fizzled out sooner if they hadn’t been there?

Your “just say no” approach to complex issues is naive at best.
    You say we’re better off without violent criminals and drug addicts but we’ve got both and I say working on the root causes that create such individuals will yield better results than just trying to round them up and incarcerate them.

2. purriwinkle

Of course I don’t believe in trying to kill anyone in the midst of a protest. That’s not peaceful, but damn, the police have really roiled their relations with the people they’re supposed to serve in Portland if they want to roast ‘em alive.

That’s too bad. Ideally, the police and the community should be working together to make it safer for everyone. I hope the leaders there can find a way to bring both sides to a better place.

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

The movie was "Minority Report", I believe.

I agree the police acted incorrectly and Floyd suffered for that. I agree completely. The part you seem to be missing though is that Floyd would ALSO still be alive if HE hadn't acted "incorrectly" and criminally in multiple ways, leading to his arrest.

The Feds didn't show up in Portland until the local government refused stop the riots and to protect Federal property. Our government is supposed to protect us from violence and destruction, that's what we pay them for. I suppose we see this differently, and it's really hard for me to see how someone can justify these rioters' behavior, or criticize the government for wanting to stop it. Remember the Million Man March? That was protesting in a big way *without* destroying the town you live in. That is a protest. This is a riot. The first is protected by the government, the second should NOT be.

So my approach is naive? People have been trying the "compassionate and understanding" approach since the 1970's, and our people and cities are worse now than they were then. It didn't work. It's time to try something different.

LOL, it's funny we're discussing this. A Spanish colleague of mine and I were discussing this issue, and it's amazing to me how right wing he is. Anyway, he was talking about living in Franco's Spain, and said while Franco did many bad things, a young girl could walk from one side of Madrid to the other without being assaulted under Franco, but now she wouldn't dare try. The reason being that under Franco anyone committing a crime got the sand beaten out of them by the police. Do I want to see the police working people over here? No, but I'd like to see something between that extreme and the one we have now where people are so assured of the impotency of the police that they assault them openly. What's going on can't continue.

4. Morgotha

The police didn't do squat. The mayor has told them to basically stand down from doing anything. This is 100% on the rioters. Maybe if the police start acting like the rioters, they'll calm down. That would be a good place to start. Have the cops round up 50 rioters, put them in a building, seal the doors and set it on fire. THAT would get their attention, I bet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. purriwinkle

What you’re missing is that the way Floyd lived his life prior to and leading up to his arrest is irrelevant in that no one has a time machine that can reset the clock. What did matter was the manner in which the arresting police conducted the arrest. The ball was in their court and they dropped it big time. At least we agree on that.

Where we differ is that you’ve given up. You see the glass as half empty and I see it as half full. While “compassion and understanding” certainly can’t hurt, we need to look seriously at root causes, look at what programs are helping and which aren’t and tweak the process.

If I was in charge, and let’s face it, I’m as qualified as Betsy DeVos, lol, I would direct monies toward strengthening the public school systems and supporting programs geared towards helping families see that their children stay the course with the goal of graduation. Then I would make community college more assessable and/or partner with the trades for more inclusion in apprentice programs. Education is the key but that’s Only my opinion. For the most part teachers do what they can but schools need more resources. Millions of dollars are wasted each year federally which could be going to our children.

Sure you have your time line and facts right with the Feds? Check this article out by NPR....

https://www.npr.org/sections/public...alated-and-why-news-consumers-were-frustrated

• Like Like x 1
  6. purriwinkle

Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ! You’re as much an agitator as those you decry. And what was all that BS about Franco? Sure...and Mussolini made the trains run on time, blah, blah. You would rather live under a fascist police state so you could walk from one end of a city to the other unmolested? I see it as a bad trade off. Besides it seems that there’s only a small contingent who are actually destructive but rather than weed them out, everyone is treated the same by officers who use that as an excuse to quell the protests, IMO.

I could just see you if you were alive during the American Revolution, “They threw all that tea into the harbor and tarred and feathered those tax agents! King George better send over more troops to to put an end to all this looting and lawlessness!” Lol.

From Oregon Live, some local coverage of what’s happening now in Portland:

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland...ue-for-73rd-day-throughout-city-saturday.html

#186 purriwinkle, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  7. Morgotha

Baloney. Mr. Floyd dies because his behavior led to an interaction with the police. You can't just edit the timeline to just start judging responsibility with what the police did.

Yes, yes, and everyone has a pretty good idea of what the root causes are. Now go and fix them without offending anyone, I'll wait.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Morgotha

I've got no love or even any particular knowledge of Franco's reign, I was just posting a surprising POV presented by my colleague.

Purri, you have *no idea* how much I want to be a young girl walking across the city unmolested!

Now wait a minute. We're talking about people at night throwing bricks, not a peaceful daytime protest. How many NON involved people do you think are there? What are you saying, that some of the people in a group of brick-throwers were just walking to the market when the riot happened? Anyone showing up to that type of thing knows what's going on, that's why they are there.

You've opened up another interesting question. I love my country, but England wasn't Nazi Germany or North Korea. Are you absolutely sure that the American Revolution was worth losing 1% of the total American population at the time? Or to look at it another way, England abolished slavery in 1833, well before our Civil War that cost *another* two percent of our population, and the "reconstruction" after the Civil War caused disparities with our black population that continue to this day. What do you think, Purriwinkle? Were all those deaths and all the misery of 40 more years of slavery in ever increasing numbers worth it? Was that tea really worth so many lives?

• Like Like x 1
  9. purriwinkle

Again, Mr. Floyd's behavior prior to his being arrested is immaterial. The issue at hand is what happened once he was taken into custody. If justice is served, Mr. Chauvin will get a chance to find out how tough a guy he really is inside the walls of a state penitentiary.

Did I say it was going to be easy? LOL. Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

10. purriwinkle

Sounds to me like you were eating that crap up, lol

I don't live in Portland so I'm getting my information from third parties, one being Oregon Live. It said in the article I cited:

A small group of demonstrators lit a fire inside the Portland police union building Saturday, sparking a riot declaration by police, who then advanced on the hundreds who gathered nearby.

The night marked the second time someone had set a fire inside the police union building, which has turned into a regular site of demonstrations against police violence and systemic racism that began in late May. Though both fires were quickly extinguished, the flames reignited criticism of the relatively few protesters who provoke police with property damage and other tactics.

Several other demonstrations also occurred Saturday throughout the city, and each was peaceful.

Even within the crowd gathered outside the police union headquarters in North Portland, the group of 20 or so people that targeted the building was significantly outnumbered by a few hundred others. The distinction between the two groups disappeared when dozens of officers arrived and advanced on the crowd.

Now, it's unclear if there is a designated strike group which causes all the trouble and if it's the same people or different ones each night. Not being there, I can't gauge the "vibe" of the crowd. Do the majority of the other protesters know who is doing the damage? Are they tacitly approving of their actions or are they just as frustrated. Are they even members of BLM or are they right wing infiltrators who want to keep the chaos at a high level? Maybe if people know the identity of these vandals, some one should give them up, then we'd have some answers and maybe some resolution.

Wow! My turn for the time capsule game. I'll do you one better. I propose that the indigenous people of North America should have let the Pilgrims die of starvation and disease, their colony burned to the ground. They should have also destroyed Jamestown like they most likely did Roanoke since the settlers at Jamestown were the first to bring African slaves into this country. Who knows how many years that would have given the native inhabitants before European countries attempted colonization again. If each time Europeans tried and they were driven back to the sea the course of history would have been much different since they might never have obtained slaves in the first place as colonization would seem too perilous. In this time line we might have never gotten to the tea!

#190 purriwinkle, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Minority Report
    Incorrect. Mostly. You're twisting it around to make it seem as if these people are only doing what they're doing BECAUSE of heavy handed actions by the Feds. They were doing this stuff long before federal intervention and it's well documented. Any assertion that the feds tipped the scales and it's "really their fault", is either ignorant or it's politically motivated spin.

Yes the protests were spurred on by the murder of George Floyd and the BLM movement, but it quickly devolved into rioting for the sake of rioting and to promote radical agendas that cannot be reasonably acheived in a short period of time. The Marxists who dwell in their mother's basements know this too, so they use any lack of action by authorities to justify further "resistance".

Portland has the biggest and most organized and aggressive antifa chappter in the nation. They were out sewing discord, setting fires, destroying property and engaging in routine harassment of anyone who wouldn't tow the line well before the stuff with the feds even started. Hell, even before George Floyd was murdered.

These people see Mayor Ted Wheeler, a very far left progressive mayor btw, as just as much an enemy as the feds or Trump or anyone trying to get in their way. They will punish and harm ANYONE that crosses them.These people are not fighting for their God-given rights, or victims of an oppressive system. They are domestic terrorists who are only interested in watching it all burn down.

I don't know where you're getting your information from (edit- I guess Oregon Live.... figures. Lol) about what is going on here in PDX, but I recommend you search for more reliable sources that might offer more truthful insight about what is actually happening around here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Morgotha

LOL, the thought of being a young girl doing pretty much anything sounds good to me!;):)

Rather than try and deflect on to something else, could you give me your answer on the question you raised? In hindsight, do you believe the American Revolution was "worth it"? I'm not going to call McCarthy on you, I'd just like to hear your opinion.

Oh, and don't be so sure you'd be stopping slavery, the American Indians owned African slaves as well.

https://www.npr.org/2011/09/20/140630565/americas-2nd-largest-indian-tribe-expels-blacks

13. Morgotha

Another "protest" in Chicago. This time massive looting broke out after police shot and *wounded* someone who was shooting at them. Then "protestors" started throwing rocks at the police, sending one of them to the hospital, and another got maced by a "protestor".

Since I see the glass as half-full, I'd say the police must be at fault here. It's a good thing I don't see the glass as half-empty or I might wonder if Chicago wouldn't benefit from actually enforcing law and order. I also wonder how many times these businesses are going to repair the damage to their buildings before closing up shop, and how many times the insurance companies will continue to insure businesses there.

Oh, and another thing. There were three actual shooting deaths and *thirty five* other shootings in Chicago over the weekend. No one looted or protested any of them.

Black Lives apparently don't matter unless the police are involved. LOL, pretty foolish, really. I mean, can you *imagine* how much free stuff you'd have if you looted any time someone was shot in Chicago that did NOT involve the police?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/widespread-looting-reported-in-chicago-after-police-involved-shooting

EDIT: Who would have thought Mayor Lori Lightfoot would be a glass-is-half-empty type of person? She is saying that this looting and destruction ""had nothing to do with legitimate, protected First Amendment expression"". What is WRONG with her? LOL, next thing you know she'll be posting about Franco!

"
    “We are waking up in shock this morning,” Lightfoot said. “These individuals engaged in what can only be described as brazen and extensive criminal looting and destruction. And to be clear, this had nothing to do with legitimate, protected First Amendment expression.”

“We are not going to let our city be taken over by criminals and vigilantes,” the mayor later added.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-...ing-to-downtown-looters-we-are-coming-for-you

#193 Morgotha, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Mayor Lightfoot really is something else. I wish the polling research outfits would do a poll that asked people this question....

Who is the worst mayor in America?
    Jenny Durkin
    Lori Lightfoot
    Ted Wheeler
    Bill DeBlasio

I'd still select DeBlasio but the others are pulling out all the stops lately. Lol

15. Morgotha

Yep, Chicago loses out to New York, again. Lightfoot isn't even in the same League as DeBlasio when it comes to badness. Some of her memes are funny, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. purriwinkle

First off, I wasn't deflecting per se, only trying to show that if slavery was the issue it could have been avoided long before we ever got to founding the US if the Indians hadn't been so trusting.

I don't know about that article you cited. The "expert" didn't know her history. Here's what was quoted from the article you cited:

"Well, African-Americans - actually, Africans and Native American people first met each other during the colonial era. So, that would have been in the 1500s when Africans were brought to the Americas as both slaves and as indentured servants."
    Not exactly.

First enslaved Africans arrive in Jamestown, setting the stage for slavery in North America. On this day in 1619, “20 and odd” Angolans, kidnapped by the Portuguese, arrive in the British colony of Virginia and are then bought by English colonists.Aug 13, 2019

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-african-slave-ship-arrives-jamestown-colony

That was 12 years after Jamestown had been established in 1607. I maintain that If the Indians had annilated those settlers, there might not have been any slavery. The Pilgrims certainly didn't believe in having slaves although I would have let them die too if I had been a leader of the local native tribes.

But specifically answering your question. It was worth every ounce of tea in that ship because the ideals espoused by our founding fathers were exceptional forward thinking for that era. However, the reality didn't live up the the written words. All men are created equal meant only white men. It didn't include those of color and forget both white and black women. Certainly not the indigenous people whose lands were taken right out from under them.

The beauty of it is is that they were written and we have been struggling to live up to those words from our very beginning even if it was one small step at a time or an all engaging civil war that almost ripped our country apart. There's a saying that you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet. If what we're going through right now leads to something improved on the other side, so be it.

17. purriwinkle

Well, if you read me correctly, which I feel you didn't, I said it appeared to me that the protesters original intent to bring attention to police brutality against people of color had changed direction with the arrival of the Federal Forces. I can only make my conclusions based on what I read and I don't remember reading about large scale protests before the George Floyd murder ignited protests nation wide.To the average reader it seems that the BLM message in Portland was actually being overshadowed amidst everything else going on, and I don't doubt for a second that some vandalism was taking place prior to the arrival of the Feds. I mused whether or not the Feds exacerbated the situation by their presence bringing a new spotlight on the city and who doesn't love the spotlight.

As far as searching for reliable sources, it's not as if I typed in 'left leaning publications views on the Portland Protests'. I was actually searching for more information about the so called fires that trapped police in their station that Mo was so worked up about. and the articles by Oregon Live came up. I would have no way of knowing which way they leaned. Their account of the events seemed plausible to me and I figured being "local" they'd have a good perspective on what was happening.

Quite frankly who says your view of the matters are accurate. Are you there every night? Have you talked with the people...the wall of moms or Vets? Can you say with any certainty that the fire bugs and vandals aren't right wing plants to stir up more chaos?
    Sure, you have your view point and OL writes theirs. From where I'm sitting across the country you both could be talking out of your ass but I got to go with the articles I can get my hands on.

Oh, and when you start talking about Antifa "chapters" it makes me go

[​IMG]

cause the Antifa political movement is comprised of diverse autonomous groups. Not like they have a national headquarters. I know some of those groups can be violent bad asses but they're perfectly suited to oppose the ult right groups they encounter. However, If they're the ones responsible for the vandalism in Portland maybe they should step off and stop using the BLM protests for their own agenda. It's not their time now and they're getting the water muddy.

18. Morgotha

Nope. She knows her history. The first interaction between African slaves and American natives DID occur in 1500 a.d. in Hispaniola where the Africans were brought there by the Spanish. Now if you want to say "when did slaves come to what would be the future region of the United States, that would be in the 1600's, as you say. It also misses the point, as what we were talking about was whether or not the Cherokee and other tribes owned African slaves before the Civil War, and they did. So even if the Indians decided to kill every European who wanted to colonize there, they still obviously saw the same benefit to free labor that the Europeans did, and for all we know would have ended up importing slaves on their own if the Europeans never colonized the Americas.

Also, various tribes in North America kept slaves they captured from other tribes, so to say that without the bad Europeans there wouldn't be slavery is a crock. The institution of slavery existed before Europeans came to the Americas and there continued to be slavery in other countries after Europeans halted the practice. If you want to feel guilty about what some white people did a couple hundred years ago that's fine with me, but it's racist to say that YOU are responsible for their sins solely based on your skin color.

I agree about the spirit and intent of the Constitution, and since people aren't perfect, don't expect people to perfectly implement their design. If people continue to progress towards "equality for all", that's good enough for me.

On the riots, while I understand your point about damage during a struggle being worth the struggle in the end if the goal is worthwhile, the trouble here is the goal is NOT worthwhile. Police brutality being the biggest cause of death of black people? Give me a break! There are more black on black shootings in Chicago than there are police incidents in the whole country. While I *might* be able to agree with you that breaking a few eggs now is worth making an omelet later, that implies that the end goal is actually going to *fix* a big problem in the end. Since violence by police is NOT what's causing the vast majority of deaths by violence in the black community, even if you "fix" it, there will be just as much violence and death as there is now, so there's *no point* to breaking the eggs in the first place.

19. Morgotha

• Like Like x 1
  20. Morgotha

Now BLM is saying the looting of downtown Chicago is "reparations". I don't know, Purriwinkle, it's not my place to tell you what to believe, but I don't think these guys are like the Founding Fathers.

"Black Lives Matter members in Chicago held a rally on Monday to support the more than 100 arrested last night following widespread looting and rioting that caused at least $60 million in property damage and saw 13 police officers injured, according to a report.

The rally was organized by Black Lives Matter Chicago and was held at a police station in the South Loop where organizers say individuals are currently being held in custody. At least one organizer called the looting tantamount to "reparations."

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,” said Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, according to NBC Chicago. “That makes sure that person has clothes.”

That is reparations,” Atkins continued. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-lives-matter-holds-rally-chicago-support-arrested-looting-unrest#

• Like Like x 1