Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[1016] You are doomed to rate it.

Discussion in 'Episode 1016 - A Certain Doom' started by Neuropyramidal, Oct 1, 2020.

?

Rate it or grow a vertical unibrow extending from the tip of your nose to your tramp stamp.

1. 10

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. 9)Certainly a pleasure

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. 8

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. 7

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4 Doomed to mediocracy

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 For Doom The Bell Tolls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

2. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Can't say I liked the episode. The F/X were terrible and the story often felt rushed (did they cut some parts because they couldn't complete them?). The stormtroopers were kind of ridiculous, and damn I hate Eugene. And I hate Maggie.

Also, they made a huge fuss for nothing. Who did we lose? Nobodies (well, I guess Dog is dead because he got ghosted). That didn't feel like much of a threatening situation, that was just a Monday. They just lead 100 000 walkers down a cliff like it was nothing, a one man job at max.

Lydia really is a good actress, that's the only really good thing I have to say about this episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

The episode did feel rushed. Maybe due to Covid, many scenes were skipped.

Did I miss it? Where did the wagon come from? When they retreated from Alexandria to the hospital tower, they already predicted they would be surrounded by a huge herd and so they planned a singing wagon somewhere outside?

• Like Like x 1
  4. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Yeah this episode was a bit rough. Honestly though I'm a little more accepting of it than I normally am of TWD episodes these days because I know they have made the smart decision to end the show after next season and they aren't just going to try to continue dragging it on.

• Old Old x 1
  5. cycles

cycles Member

I rated it a 9. The episode had a few flaws but overall it was a solid episode. It was good to see a plan come together. That was a positive change from so many of the Rick seasons where they stumbled backwards into success.

Negan’s redemption arc seems to be complete. Carol was excellent.

The return of Maggie had no emotional impact. Maybe that is coming when she sees Negan?

Michael Myers is dead. Send in the storm troopers. That was hokey but I suppose they want us looking forward to next season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I was going to give it 8, but I like the tag "Certainly a pleasure" that goes with 9 in the poll, so what the hell, let's make it 9.

It was certainly a pleasure in so many ways. Like ... finally we got to see it for starters! Beta died an iconic death and we got the Daryl/Negan collaboration a lot of us wanted. Fantastic and often heroic team work and creative thinking all around. Daryl continues to be a super confident and effective leader without motivational speeches. Neat end to the Whisperers. We didn't lose any of our beloved characters. Connie is alive. Wonderful moments for Lydia all throughout and a great bonding moment between her and Carol. And we get a new fabulous ninja! I mean, this is worth a 9 surely.

Didn't affect the score: Maggie's return. I was a lot more interested in her little helper.

Points deducted for: the ridiculous storm troopers and Eugene's face... come on, these are just some ridiculously over-zealous guys in ridiculously shiny fancy dress asking them to disarm and then they could talk. They should have been happy to find the potential army they needed back home and put their silly little weapons down with an ear-to-ear smile.

Also points deducted for not giving Aaron anything brilliant to do in the episode, and all the eyeroll moments such as suddenly it's become oh-so-easy to pick off the Whisperers amongst the dead, and how did the horses stay hidden from that sea of Whisperers before they were needed, etc.

Anything I wished to be different? Daryl and Dog to find Connie, Aaron to get more action, and Judith to intoduce JR to Maggie.

All in all, I'm really good with this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

The episode was okay. What I really liked is that they ended the Whisperer arc and didn't have Beta out there lurking for a return next season.

I enjoyed Maggie's return. The show needs her after the loss of so many significant characters.

I'm tired of the dark scenes. If we have a final fight with a big bad I want to be able to see it. Imagine Michonne running a sword through the Governor, but in the dark. Then Rick and Carl escape the prison, but you really can't see it.

Virgil needs to be gone. Hopefully the opening scene of Season 11 is of Connie killing him.

As someone who didn't like Carol's suicidal arc, I thought they ended it well with Lydia pulling her back.

It's tough to run a finale 6 months after the previous episodes aired. You lose so much feel of the continuity etc, because it wasn't filmed to be a standalone. So I give them a lot more leeway due to that.

• Like Like x 3
  8. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

Some of it seemed rushed, but the death of Beta was fantastic.
    I do have questions...Who is Maggie's masked friend? What's up with the Storm Troopers are the end? LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Well, I thought it was great and gave it a 10. In retrospect I could dumb it down to a 9 due to the Stormtroopers at the end. That seemed pretty lame. Overall though I thought it was great. Seems like some people want to see a main character die every episode. If that was the case it would be a short series. Yes we only lost a minor character (sorry Beatrice, but you know it's true), but we did get an epic Beta death.
    Looking forward to:
    1) How will Maggie react to Negan?
    2) Who is her ninja. Is it someone we've seen before somewhere?
    3) Where will the survivors live now?
    4) How did Virgil get off that island and return to Oceanside? I thought Michonne took the only boat.
    5) When do we get to see Luke Skywalker, R2D2 and C3PO?

• Like Like x 1
  10. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

I give it an 8, docking it a notch or so for many of the reasons already listed above, but mostly because of "Fear the Walking Dead, Season 4"-type coincidences starting to drive the plot, chief among them Connie stumbling into the road and passing out right in the path of the guy from the island I had already forgotten about.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I admit I'd like to see Eugene dying every episode, but that's not the point here. Zombies used to be dangerous. Now they're no more problems than the trees. Have you seen that wide aerial shot and the number of walkers there was? That's at least 100 000. Just think back to the first few seasons and imagine having to deal with this kind of zombie-crowd... No casualties? One woman job to lead them away so they ALL jump off a cliff? To me that's not only dumb, it's incoherent with what zombies used to be in the show, and detrimental to the last season and the side projects. How many whisperer-less zombies do we need now to have an actual threat?

12. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I was satisfied, and thought it was a solid finale. Not the best finale we've had in 10 years, and it had a few technical eyebrow raisers, such as why some of them didn't smear anything on their face when they went in the horde, and I wish they would have highlighted Maggie's reunion a bit more, but overall good episode. I enjoyed how they wrapped up the Whisperers. Like others, I do wish we would have lost a larger good guy. Revealing that sometime had suffered Andrea's comic bite at the end of the episode might have made it more memorable. I give it an 8.6.

13. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

True to a point. But we're 10 years in so the survivors have gotten used to dealing with zombies as well as how they usually react to things. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. walkon

walkon Active Member

I found it to be rather bland with a short end to a long arc. Plus, I never cared much for Connie or Virgil so the ending didn't leave me anxious for more story. I gave it a weak 7.

#14 walkon, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020