Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Humorous political pics, memes and videos

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Jama, May 7, 2020.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

2. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Gotta have priorities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

4. purriwinkle

5. Morgotha

I know it's a confusing cartoon, but I can explain. Your article, also says, "Syrian does not necessarily equate to “white” in the sort of popular social sense that we tend to think of today" - which is the big point. When people think "Syrian" I'd bet most think "Muslim" more than skin tone. That was what the cartoon was about. "White people" are considered bad by the Dems and MSM, but OTOH, "Muslims" are a sacred cow that can't be criticized, so the Dem announcer had to change his story from being critical of the shooter to being critical of an inanimate object lest he offend a socially protected group of people. Does that make sense now?

6. purriwinkle

the article also,states:

Therefore, if a quite dark heavily ‘ethnic’-looking Sicilian or Calabrian or Greek is “white”, then why would a fair-featured Syrian really not be white, just because he’s located across the sea in the Levant area? Either way though, they are both Caucasians regardless of their skin tones. Their facial bone structures and such generally will give that away.

So basically confusing race(?) with religion is a f*cked up premise. People may belong to a different ethnicity but they really are us. I understand the cartoonist is trying to put across a point but he’s off the mark plain and simple to portray Syrians as not being “white” and feeding peoples paranoia about different cultures....but hey, it’s comedy and I realize people say stupid things nowadays to keep from saying the “wrong thing.”

7. Morgotha

:rolleyes::rolleyes: C'mon, man! You know what he was saying and why he was saying it as well as I do.

8. purriwinkle

So you said and I quote, “Muslims are a sacred cow that can’t be criticized”. Oh, like the Jewish people.... I get it now. Thank goodness we can still rail on Christians,:cool: . Did you know Christians make up 10% of the Syrian population? Wouldn’t it be better to stick to a less descriptive narrative of any perpetrator? How ‘bout just a gunman killed people in Boulder, but then we wouldn’t be able to laugh about not being able to mention various ethnic groups, religions, etc. I get it. Trying to be sensitive is a pain in the ass and a hoot apparently although the corrected headline was also true to some extent. Now that’s funny.

Syrians though? And are we talking about an American of Syrian descent or a person who is actually Syrian but in this country? Would it have been any funnier if they had substituted Saudis? I mean they’re supposed to be our allies but you know how they do us...9/11 and all. Lord help us if we criticize them....for anything :rolleyes: but yeah....I get it. I thought maybe we were gaining traction when it came to stigmatizing any group of people or race or religion.

Sorry for being so bitchy. Thing just really rubbed me the wrong way I guess. Try another one. Promise I won’t say a thing.

#108 purriwinkle, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  9. DeadZedHead

I think because the Colorado shooter was Syrian.

10. purriwinkle

Thanks for answering my question. In my revised post (still making changes, lol) I asked if the the shooter was an American of Syrian descent or a Syrian in our country for whatever reason. I don’t remember hearing either way. Do you know?

11. Morgotha

I'm a bit sensitive in this region as well. I have a husband and a son, both of whom are "white". Every time a crime is committed and it's by a white man, on the news you hear about the "white man" committing a crime. If they are "black" or "Hispanic"? That does NOT get mentioned. IOW, it's OK to label someone as bad based on their race if they are "white", but it's NOT ok to do that to anyone else. That's not fair.

12. Morgotha

Does it matter? Once he became something other than a "white man" committing the crime his race, religion, etc., never got mentioned again and it became the prevalence of guns fault and not his.

13. purriwinkle

The only reason I can think of is that it’s to remind the viewing audience that it’s not only the “others” that commit crimes but is it really needed?

One thing I have noticed though is that it becomes an issue if it’s a suspected “hate” crime.

#113 purriwinkle, Apr 7, 2021
  14. purriwinkle

It shouldn’t have been mentioned at all unless a national from another country commits a crime here in the US but they probably have diplomatic immunity. :rolleyes:

I actually looked up the referenced shooter cause I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t recall the incident. Except for a hand full of exceptional multiple shootings over the years they’re all starting to blend in for me. There have been so many. Malls, work places, stores, schools, homes, any place people gather with no let up in sight. That they’re becoming common place scares me more than anything else. I think I care less and less who’s doing the deed anymore than the fact that it continues to be done. I am interested in the victims though.:( Something needs to be done.

15. Morgotha

And what a biased presentation the media gives us on that. More blacks kill whites every year than whites kill blacks, but do you ever hear of the black on white killing being called a hate crime? Nope. Again, the media is pushing a narrative.

As an aside, I wonder if the "remind them that white people kill too" idea is really a good one if they are actually trying for equality. If once a week you hear that "a white man" did X, it wouldn't surprise me if people started thinking that every time they did NOT hear that a "white man" (LOL, not to be sexist, but it's always men who seem to do these things) did something that means that a minority did it. That insidious association to me seems worse than listing every criminal by race.

#115 Morgotha, Apr 7, 2021
  16. Morgotha

Absolutely. Put these crimes in perspective, though. From Time Magazine:

"
    Gun violence and gun crime has, in particular, risen drastically, with over 19,000 people killed in shootings and firearm-related incidents in 2020. That’s the highest death toll in over 20 years, according to data from the Gun Violence Archive (GVA), an online site that collects gun violence data, and the Britannia Group’s non-partisan site procon.org.

This total includes victims of homicides and unintentional deaths but does not include gun suicides. And despite there being no “large-scale” shootings in 2020, the number of mass shootings—which are classified as an incident in which four or more people are shot and injured or killed—has actually risen, drastically, to over 600, the most in the past 5 years and a nearly 50% increase in 2019’s total."

https://time.com/5922082/2020-gun-violence-homicides-record-year/

So "mass shootings" of 4 or more people are only 3% of shootings, and "assault weapons" deaths are only 0.5% of shootings. That means if you got rid of "assault weapons" completely you wouldn't improve these numbers by more than 0.5% - one half of one percent! By the numbers these guns are probably close to the LAST ones we should be confiscating, not the first.

17. DeadZedHead

He was born in Syria. They don’t say when he immigrated.

18. DeadZedHead

This seems to be a newer trend. Being a minority, I can tell you that most of my life it was the opposite. Race was only mentioned when it was a minority. You can now see how painful it has been for others to be shoehorned in with criminals because the news mentions race disproportionately. People of color have been trying to get the news to stop mentioning race unless it is pertinent to the story. I.E Suspect on the loose or hate crime for as long as i can remember.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Morgotha

I can well believe it. That was wrong then, and it's wrong now.

20. Morgotha

O.k. Purri, another mass shooting occurred, in South Carolina this time. If you'll notice, the shooter's racial identity was not mentioned and isn't currently available, just that he killed a doctor and his wife, their grandchildren, and someone working at their house. I wonder if my theory will prove correct, that since the media didn't say the suspect was white in the article, that means the suspect was NOT white. I'll try and report back when we know the answer.

"
    At least five people are dead, including two children, following a shooting inside a home in South Carolina on Wednesday evening, according to authorities.

A sixth person was hospitalized with "serious gunshot wounds," York County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Trent Faris said. The suspect believed to be responsible for the shooting in Rock Hill, about 25 miles southwest of Charlotte, North Carolina, was apprehended, authorities said.

"We have IDed the person we feel is responsible for the shooting on Marshall Rd. We found him in a nearby house. There is no active threat to the community," the York County Sheriff’s Office tweeted. "Detectives are still in the area serving a search warrant & investigating this tragic event."

The victims were identified as Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70; his wife, Barbara Lesslie, 69; their two grandchildren, and James Lewis, 39, who was working at the home when he was struck by gunfire, the sheriff's office said. Lewis was found dead outside the home.

The grandchildren were ages 5 and 9, according to the York County coroner’s office. Faris called Dr. Lesslie "a staple" in Rock Hill for years. "

https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-carolina-shooting-doctor-family-dead-children