Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

That wouldn’t be the motivation for my moving anywhere, but I can tell you. someone telling me what to do, like that, would have the opposite effect. There’s also a saying, Mind your own business. :cool:

2. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I've heard your opinions, and they are WRONG. Do what I tell you to and you'll be happy. Starting today, regardless of who you voted for previously, vote Democratic for the rest of your life, and for God's sake do NOT give half your life's savings to the next Republican candidate for President!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. purriwinkle

Good try Mo! LOL!

4. Morgotha

Another anti-riot bill passes. It's funny that these protestors tried to break in to the House and Senate chambers but aren't being called traitors for doing so.

"Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) approved of two bills that crack down on protests Wednesday, just as demonstrators angry about the legislation barged into the state capitol, prompting the House and Senate chambers to lock their doors.

The group was protesting, in part, one bill that increases the penalties for blocking roadways and grants immunity to motorists who kill or injure protesters on the road. Another bill seeks to limit doxxing of police officers. Both bills made their way through the House and Senate's Republican majority before reaching Stitt's desk.

Some protesters got into verbal altercations with lawmakers. "You are a f--king disgrace to the whole country!" one shouted towards the legislators. The group then tried to get into the Senate chamber, which had locked its doors. "

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/protesters-oklahoma-house-chamber

5. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

6. purriwinkle

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sharpie61

I doubt it will make it through the senate.

The truth is out there

8. Morgotha

I hope not. Making it a state would directly go against the intent of the Founding Fathers.

9. Morgotha

An "unexpected" side effect of Democratic largesse. People aren't going back to work as they make more money on welfare. That's not good for the country or the individuals.

"A McDonald’s franchise in Florida is so desperate for workers that it started offering people $50 just to show up for an interview — and it still isn’t getting enough applicants. Why?

In part because the system of ultragenerous unemployment benefits perpetuated by President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion-plus coronavirus legislation “is truly creating the incentive to not work right now," the franchise owner told Business Insider. “And, how do you blame somebody? You can make more money on unemployment [than from working].”

The fiasco facing this McDonald’s isn’t an outlier. It’s an acute example of a national trend. Millions of people remain on unemployment benefits while there are nearly 7.4 million job openings. And there’s no shortage of employers looking to hire. A recent survey found that 40% of small businesses are struggling to fill open positions, some even after increasing wages on offer.

The labor market is clearly stuck in a dysfunctional rut right now, and it’s inhibiting our pandemic recovery. To get the economy going again, we need to roll back the Democrats’ current expansion of unemployment benefits so that welfare no longer pays more than work.

Under the status quo, the federal government is supplementing existing state-level benefits with an extra $300 per week until September. This means that nearly 40% of workers can earn more from staying on the welfare rolls than from returning to work. Many others can earn 70%, 80%, or 90% of what they were making.

In Massachusetts, for example, one can earn up to $1,100 a week on unemployment benefits under the current system. That’s far more than the $600 a week one would make working a $15/hour job. Is it any wonder so many employers are struggling to hire?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...rogram-is-causing-a-hiring-crisis/ar-BB1fY5e6

10. Sharpie61

Our founding fathers didn’t want women to vote, and look at us now.
    Every American citizen should have a say in who runs our country.

The truth is out there

11. Morgotha

And they do. The intent of the Founders was that any residents of D.C. would be represented directly by Congress as a whole to prevent their senators and representatives from having an undue influence in Congress. If they don't like that they can always move over the border in to Virginia and have their "own" Congresspeople.

12. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Im trying to figure out how that makes sense. Did they believe congresspersons couldn’t be impartial if they saw too many non constituents? Or they would forget about their constituents and vote based on lobbyists? Both those ships have long sailed, reached their destination and dry docked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Morgotha

Maybe they figured it would be too easy for the "states" residents to harass the congresspeople and their families going about their everyday business?

14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That's so much apples and oranges. The whole point of having a federal district, is so that one state doesn't have direct influence over federal power.

Additionally, if people who lived in DC were actually concerned about not having a say in who runs our country, then why aren't residences of DC petitioning to have their respective neighborhoods be absorbed into existing Virginia or Maryland?

This "making DC a state" thing has nothing to do with voting fairness, having a say or equality. It's political jockeying.

One more thing.... residents of DC do have a say in who runs their country. It's called the national popular vote and the electoral college.

15. Morgotha

Yeah, it's the Dems trying to get what they believe will be two effectively permanent Senate votes for free.

16. DeadZedHead

Right. Being absorbed seems to solve the issue pretty cleanly. Statehood seems more like trying to create a few more seats in Congress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. purriwinkle

I don’t know about all of the above arguments. I had to look this one up. I thought the history surrounding this push to be interesting. “End taxation without representation”

https://www.history.com/news/washington-dc-statehood-reconstruction

Since 1980, D.C. has advocated for congressional representation through statehood. Activists and politicians have connected D.C.’s fight for representation to similar struggles in the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa. Like D.C. residents in 1960, the U.S. citizens who live in these territories pay federal taxes but have no voting members in Congress and can’t vote for president.

Many statehood advocates have pointed out that there is no constitutional reason that D.C., a 68-square-mile city with a larger population than Wyoming and Vermont, cannot become a state.

“Opponents of Washington statehood make specious legal arguments, claiming that the Constitution mandates complete federal authority over the district and thus precludes statehood,” Susan Rice, Barack Obama’s former national security advisor, wrote in the New York Times. “But the Constitution merely states that the federal enclave cannot exceed 10 square miles; it does not prohibit carving out a limited area for government buildings that remains under federal control, while making the rest of the district into a state.”

18. Morgotha

I like the idea of absorbing them into the surrounding states. If their real interest is just in voting for a senator, etc., problem solved.

19. purriwinkle

Sounds simple enough but I tend to think if it were that easy to solve it would have been done by now. From the History article, it stated that the land for DC was ceded from Virginia and Maryland in 1790 with a population of approximately 3,000.
    Today we’re looking at a population of 706,000.

Does either Virginia or Maryland even want to absorb that many people into their states in one fell swoop? What kind of havoc does that incur on the state level? Who decides where the present demarcation line will be? Do the people of DC want to be absorbed into another state at this point?

If we assume that the majority of people living in DC vote Democrat, how will it effect Virginia and Maryland? I believe Maryland is solidly blue but it will cement Virginia’s slide from red to blue. Would Virginian Republicans support that big of an increase in Democratic voters?

Why isn’t it easier to allow them to form their own state? Because two more Democratic senators would be the end of the world? Hell, I like symmetry. Let’s make DC the 51st state and Puerto Rico 52!

• Like Like x 1
  20. DeadZedHead

I think its time Puerto Rico got to sit at the grown ups table.