Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

2020 election AKA The Biden Thread

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Here's a shocker. Even the NY Times figured out that removing the SALT caps Trump put in would be a tax break for the rich and no one else.

"
    the Democratic Party is currently “pushing a tax cut for the wealthy” by trying to get rid of the cap on state and local tax payment deductions, also known as SALT.

In an editorial published this week, the New York Times correctly notes that Democrats’ defense of the SALT deduction contradicts the party’s pledge to make wealthy people pay their fair share, since SALT deductions primarily benefit the rich. In fact, the top 1% of earners in the United States would receive 54% of the benefits of the change, and the top 20% of earners would receive 96% of the benefits, the editorial board argued.

“A tax cut with such a skewed distribution of benefits ought to be unacceptable to any politician genuinely concerned about the rise of economic inequality,” the editorial reads."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...g-handouts-to-the-rich/ar-BB1g6T4f?li=BBnb7Kz

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I don’t give a rat’s ass about whether or not the SALT tax is repealed. Many states already have a work around in place but if it means getting his infrastructure bill passed Biden may indeed raise the cap or lift it altogether.

From a Bloomberg article on the subject.

New York and Idaho both recently passed legislation to work around the controversial 2017 tax law feature known as the SALT cap. Their states created an optional tax, letting owners of passthrough entities—where income flows through and is taxed on the ownership level—circumvent the $10,000 limit on deductions. Georgia and Arizona are awaiting their governors’ approvals of similar SALT cap workarounds and lawmakers in California, Massachusetts, Illinois, North Carolina, and South Carolina are debating bills of the same nature.

Connecticut, Maryland, Louisiana, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Alabama, and Oklahoma approved workarounds earlier. State lawmakers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Colorado are expected to introduce theirs as early as next week, according to Brian Reardon, president of the S Corporation Association. The group leads state legislature lobbying efforts to soften the impact of the SALT cap.

Momentum for a repeal is building as Democrats hold a majority in both House and Senate in the Congress. Many states have called the SALT cap ‘weaponized’ tax policy, arguing it unfairly targets high-tax states and Congressional districts which tend to be under Democrat control. Of the 40 congressional districts with the largest SALT deductions disallowed under the 2017 tax law, 39 are represented by Democrats.

Democratic governors from seven states are pushing Biden to act, a House bipartisan caucus is studying a repeal, and more than 20 lawmakers say they will not support Biden’s infrastructure plan unless it includes a cap repeal. Key Democratic leaders including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer are among those sympathetic to a repeal, although they have yet to propose an ultimatum.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily...pread-to-more-states-as-democrats-seek-repeal

That’s politics. Meh.

What does get my attention is this proposed gas tax in NY which is predicted to raise the price of a gallon of gas by 55 cents and natural fuel gas by 26%. I sympathize with their reasoning but it’s too much too soon, and I’m a “tree hugger”, lol. What may sound wonderful down state where mass transit is a preferred means of locomotion, is terrible elsewhere as the rest of the state drives everywhere we need to go and we get SNOW upstate! I hope this goes down in flames or we’ll be headed to the reservations to fill up our tanks.

https://auburnpub.com/news/state-an...cle_e37555a0-a0a5-11eb-b8fb-73fd0596b001.html

3. Morgotha

The real issue is the Democrats are now the party of the rich and the Republicans are now the party of the poor. The Dems want to repeal this as it holds their financial base fiscally accountable, even if it is a good thing for the country overall.

On the gas tax, what it sound like to me is that you aren't willing to do your part to make the green new deal a reality. Drive less. Buy an electric car. Carpool with your neighbors to the market once a week rather than going when YOU want to. You aren't entitled to do what you want when others are suffering because of climate change.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the primary reason for why I'm against all of this climate change hysteria. I'm not denying that there is climate change and that humankind has contributed to it, but I do stand against the quasi religious-like nature of the climate change movement. Lot's of hypocrisy. Lot's of lies. Lot's of bad intentioned opportunities to cease power and profits. The never ending shifting of goal posts.

Even Bernie and AOC have made similar claims (paraphrasing) that they shouldn't be scrutinized for flying around on planes or their gas-guzzling campaign buses because they're just trying to operate within a world that already uses fossil fuels. Talk about a load of hot garbage! And that's just one of hundreds of examples.

They and many other's with their twisted pov want to continue doing what's convenient for them and be able to live life as we currently do, but then dictate to others that everyone else has to sacrifice and start doing more. We must change for the better just as long as "we" doesn't include people like them. This is exactly the same type of manipulative philosophy that religious leaders have put forth to their followers over the centuries.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. purriwinkle

As I stated, I sympathize and agree that we have to do something about the current climate crisis but this proposed legislation,at this time, is not the way to go for these reasons.

Many people have been put of work due to the pandemic. Most people are not in a position to scrap whatever vehicle they now currently own to up and buy an electric model, nor should they be pressured to do so. We don’t even have the infrastructure to fuel electric cars in place here. I don’t even know where you’d have to go to charge your car. I’d go with pressuring the auto makers to keep vehicle gas emissions down as far as possible instead. A gradual changeover might be a thing of the future but baby steps please.

As far as increasing the cost of heating fuel, there are many
    people who can’t afford to pay the current costs of heating their homes in the winter. They have programs now to subsidize low income families so they can stay warm in their homes so the gov would just be giving out more money to help more people who may be behind financially at this time.

Why not work on getting the business model up and running for the recreational Mary Jane business. Use that tax money to fuel any pet projects you want to introduce, after all, wasn’t that the point in legalizing pot to begin with?

Just like with the Republican Party, we have our share of kooks too.

6. Morgotha

That's my main trouble with this is how the entitled are making rules for "the little people" to follow while doing whatever they want themselves. I became disillusioned with the people in charge back when Al Gore's electric bills were revealed and showed he hat $30,000 per year in utility bills for his Southern mansion! Those are the habits of the man telling people to conserve? And then he has the gall to say he's also paid for carbon offsets for that use - only to later be caught having paid the carbon offsets to a company he owned.

If we want to clean up the world we should start with putting restrictions on China. They are polluting the air and ocean more than anyone else in the world.

7. Morgotha

Or, try being green and using an fuel-free way to keep warm in the winter.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. purriwinkle

No kidding, lol. Seriously, electric heat is the most expensive way to go. We don’t get enough sun here which makes solar unreliable, IMO, and wind? IDK, but I wouldn’t want to rely solely on that either currently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Morgotha

It's funny, I have a colleague who worked in Minot, ND and said the houses are so well insulated that the heating bill wasn't a problem in the Winter, but what WAS a problem was the cooling in the Summer! The house just held heat like a magnet.

10. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

The builder didn't install a swamp cooler to help with that?

11. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

How did you find my myspace profile pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

We don't do swamp coolers up here in the upper Midwest. Not sure why.

Also, it's not true anyway, a well insulated home will keep out the cold AND heat. The house doesn't only do one or the other.

Also, it gets cold as hell in North Dakota, so I don't believe they don't have trouble with the cold anyway. You have cold air temps, and the winds are allowed to really pick up speed blowing across the plains so the wind chills are just ridiculous.

13. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

We use to have one in AZ. It didn’t work too well when we went through monsoon season, as it was too humid.
    Maybe that’s why they don’t use them in the Midwest.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  14. Morgotha

Swamp coolers work best in the desert, right? They lower temperature by using the energy lost to the environment from aerosolizing water into the air? In the Midwest where it's already very humid in the summer my guess would be it might not help much.

15. Morgotha

His issue was that the heat that came in through the windows from the sun shining through wouldn't leave.

And he DID have an issue with the cold. I remember him saying one time they had a sudden storm that was cold enough to kill the cows in a field, and with a subsequent snow the dead cows were out there for months before they could be gotten rid of, and every day he drove by he could see legs, etc., sticking up through the snow. That's an unpleasant environment in anyone's book.

#2935 Morgotha, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  16. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

WTF is a swamp cooler????

17. tink

tink Well-Known Member

18. Morgotha

AFAIK it's basically a whole house fan with a mister inside that turns dry hot air to cooler moist air - and is likely much cheaper to run than an air conditioner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

20. Morgotha

What I learned that was neat about the Southwest is that now bat populations are being encouraged as they decrease mosquito populations. LOL, I walked in to my office one morning and there was a bat that started flapping around and I can tell you it was ***NOT*** welcome inside! They caught it with a plastic tote though and put it outside, and it was welcome to stay there eating mosquitoes for the rest of its life.

• Funny Funny x 2