Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

4. Morgotha

Who knew that allowing the mentally ill to make fires wherever they wanted would be dangerous?

"
    As the homeless crisis in Los Angeles continues to surge, the city is facing a growing number of fires at encampments, according to reports Wednesday.

Fires related to homelessness have nearly tripled in the three years since the Los Angeles Fire Department started classifying them, LAFD officials said.

In the first quarter of 2021, they occurred at a rate of 24 a day, and made up 54% of all blazes the department responded to, the Los Angeles Times reported. "

https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-ange...mber-of-fires-at-homeless-encampments-reports

#5984 Morgotha, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  5. Morgotha

As a law school we *strongly encourage* you to express your honest opinions and beliefs. ...of course if those beliefs happen to differ from the mobs, count on being expelled for having the temerity to express them.

This woman's offense? During a debate on the subject said that Trans-women athletes were stronger than cis women athletes. LOL, must be some "debate" when only one POV is acceptable to utter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/l...ring-gender-discussion/ar-BB1gPBYr?li=BBnbfcL

6. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

It says that all complaints are investigated, not that she will be expelled. That’s reasonable. It will be interesting how it pans out. Debates should be given a little wiggle room on comments made in the context of debate. Hopefully the students who called her names are treated the same. Someone called her a “typical white, cis girl.” Thats discriminatory against race, gender, and sexual orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Morgotha

I haven't heard that the people that insulted her are being investigated at all. Also, debates are there to express and evaluate different POVs. I don't think it's reasonable to have a formal complaint against a student for the position they took in a debate! That sends a chilling message out and serves no legitimate purpose.

8. DeadZedHead

If a complaint is made, even if ridiculous, I can see them covering their ass. That brings up an interesting question. If the person/ persons who raised the complaint against her didn’t think she would be expelled, they may have made the complaint more freely but if SHE feels the person who discriminated against her WOULD be expelled, might she hold off on her complaints. I might call bs if i was there at the time but i dont know if i would have filed a formal complaint if i really thought the person who called her a white, cis girl would get kicked.

9. Morgotha

I think the college administration should have said, "look, this was a debate. Unless the conduct of the speaker was so out of the character of a debate it shocked the conscience of the moderators then the complaint isn't justified on its face. The purpose of a debate is NOT to make the most sensitive among us feel at ease."

The college and free speech LOST in this situation by giving credence to the complaint in the first place.

10. DeadZedHead

In theory i agree but in practicality, not acknowledging the complaint could have been a PR nightmare. This could also give them an opportunity to create a formal stance for future incidents. That would involve talking to lawyers (other lawyers) and carefully wording a policy.

11. Morgotha

Why not just make a public statement, like: " yes, we received a complaint from a student, and we are endeavoring to work with our students to learn through debate rather than attack people with opposing POVs.

You know my solution to this situation? Take the people on each side and force them to have a second debate with each of them taking the other position, with a grade to be assigned based on how well they did the second time (when they were arguing what they *don't* believe in). That would be an actual college experience.

12. DeadZedHead

Because it wasnt the positions themselves that are the problem but the perceived intolerance of the position and the actual intolerance of the insults which aren’t debating points.

13. Morgotha

[​IMG]

LOL, what do you mean the "perceived intolerance of the position" as opposed to the position itself? C'mon, man, if she agreed with the complainer the complainer wouldn't have cared HOW intolerant the "typical white cis-girl" was.

She went off because someone disagreed with her beliefs, no more, no less.

14. DeadZedHead

Lol. Im saying she had the right to debate her position. Meaning it wasn’t intolerant, just unpopular. Others in the room room perceived it to be intolerant and spewed ACTUAL intolerance towards her. So her position was valid and debatable. Her opponents position was valid and debatable. But it devolved into sexist racism. Redoing the debate while flopping positions wouldn’t change anything if the new arguments were made in similar manner. Creating a framework of what language can and cant be used is needed. Not what positions can and cant be taken. If you are arguing that Hillary cant drink baby blood to gain eternal life, i can take the position that her species of lizard people has sustained on human fetal elixir their entire lives and must be allowed to continue as it is a biological imperative. Those positions are debatable. But if i started calling you a woman hating, AntiGeko Jewbag, that would be sexist, racist and speciesism. Id be surprised if some limitations weren’t already in place there but right now, everyone thinks they have a right to not be offended. That’s actually the opposite of free speech.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Hey!
    [​IMG]
    LOL!

16. Morgotha

On the first part, I think things devolved because people were true believers in the positions they were taking and took it personally when others couldn't see the "rightness" of their position. This wouldn't be the case if they were arguing something they believed to be false.

On the second bit, I see your point, but you missed the mark if you wanted to tie the situation to my personal beliefs. See, I'm not vested in the belief that Hillary is a reptilian who must drink baby's blood to maintain her immortality. For all I know she just kills babies and drinks their blood as part of a tribute to her demonic master, or because she likes the taste, or (and this is the most probable) she just likes killing the innocent. Who knows what the "real" reason is? In any event I'm not tied to any of them in particular, so if you wanted to argue a different reason for her behavior I'd be fine with it as a hypothesis so long as it correctly explained her behavior.

17. DeadZedHead

Sorry. I had to.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. DeadZedHead

Yes their personal passions dialed it up to 11 causing them to cross the line, but i don’t think forcing them to debate the opposite side would change their positions by much. Just like you could debate the opposite side of abortion but would likely maintain your original position. Getting mad might make their outbursts understandable, but doesn’t justify them. If someone cut you off in traffic, its understandable that you shout at them. I can even get that you might use a slur in a moment of heated weakness. While understandable THAT you said it, its still not justified and its still racist.
    On Hillary, you debated the point with an argument without using slurs. That’s what was missing that day.

19. Morgotha

I don't think they'd necessarily change their position if they were forced to debate the other side of the issue - but it would probably be a more civilized debate. I agree completely there's no excuse for their behavior.

On Hillary, yeah, not much to become uncivil about. As long as we can both agree she's an evil witch why sweat the small stuff?

[​IMG]
    Sry the emoji's the size of a house, LOL!

20. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Oooooh....
    Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble....;)