Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Jon Snow, Oct 7, 2014.

1. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I had mixed feelings about this last episode. It was OK, not bad but I was expecting something moving series more towards a satisfying series ending. I guess it shows Jimmy can never be sure he has escaped his past actions and even while doing a mundane job still keeps his ability to scheme , improvise and manipulate people. Perhaps something he did this episode will trip him up. This episode could theoretically been shown as a change-up episode in a previous season. I guess I'll reserve judgement until the series finishes to see how it fits in.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of this one either. It's not something that felt like a good fit for your final few episodes. They left off in the Breaking Bad timeline, teasing the return of Walter and Jesse, then they jump into the future. The black and white scenes were fine previously as a flash forward opener, but doing an entire episode that way, since it's the future, was weird.

I think sometimes show creators get too deep into the art of what they're doing that what they create will sometimes not resonate with the general audience. This was one of those episodes.

My feeling watching it was largely just frustration. We only have 3 episodes to go.

Also, showing that he's basically the same guy now, will make it more awkward if he suddenly decides to change before the end of the season.

For the first time I'm a little concerned about how this series is going to end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I felt the same way about black and white but forgot to mention it. I kept thinking they arent going to keep it in black and white. I dont know what kind of ending they can have where they "stick the landing". I hope they dont screw it up. There are so few series that go all the way thru and stay good till the end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stealth

There's supposed to be at least one episode in the Breaking Bad timeline with Walter and Jesse so that doesn't leave much to conclude it.

Personally, with where the story is written now I think the only appropriate ending would be to have him get caught. Since the early seasons were largely built around the law, he would then defend himself, and get off due to his ability to con people. You could see him being able to convince a jury that he was a victim to Walter, Gus etc. He ran because he was afraid for his life as the lawyer for these horrible people. Kim could even return to help him. We could then find out her life hasn't been any better since she left him.

I don't think that's how they're going to end it though, but it would follow with the path they've been on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

What happened with the phone call to Kim? Why was Jimmy acting so stupidly near end of episode. I was aggravated by the insane risk he was taking. Doesnt make sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stealth

I'm so frustrated with this damn series right now. A big reason is I had full confidence in Vince Gilligan and Co. to get this right. But wow, what a mess it's become in just a few episodes.

We are in the final stretch and they refuse to tell us what happened when he called Kim? Really? That doesn't intrigue me at this stage as it did with them not telling us their plan against Howard. Now it just angers me and makes me less invested in the story.

The first Walt and Jesse scene didn't do anything for me. It came so late in the episode and I was already irritated. Then what they did, really wasn't that consequential.

The minute Jimmy broke the pane to get into the house I was so disgusted. As you said, it makes no sense. Why wouldn't he just have them do the same old act over again with that guy another night? Why break in?

Also there is a huge plot hole in this segment of the story. You could drive Walt and Jesse's camper through it. Jimmy could have gotten a new identity and left Nebraska once that guy noticed him. He called Ed to do it, then Jimmy said "I'll handle it" on the phone instead of leaving.

This was his plan? He thought THIS would be better than starting fresh? I could see if he had met someone and had a new life etc, but why stay and risk it?

First off there is a $5 million dollar reward for his capture. So this Jeff guy would prefer to steal jackets then collect on the reward? Seriously?

They should've just kept Lalo or Nacho alive for the ending. I can understand why Lalo had to die since it enabled Gus to fully take control, but anything would've been better than this. There was no one in this talented writer's room that said this mess wouldn't work? I just can't believe what I'm watching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stealth

I'm glad this series is ending in a week.

The next to last episode was better than the previous two, but that's only because those were the very worst of the series.

If we were just going to have Jimmy get caught we should've jumped to it and skipped all the nonsense with the cab driver and the old lady. I also cringed when Jimmy pulled out the phone cord and acted like he was going to strangle her with it. He'd never do that.

They just couldn't bridge the three timelines in the end. How do you go from Jimmy in BCS to Breaking Bad, to whatever the Hell he is now, in a few episodes.

The Kim scenes felt like bad fan fiction. She tells Howard's wife what happened and then gives her statement to the DA. Then they throw in that garbage about how she might not be prosecuted because no one was left alive to testify, except Jimmy, and there was no evidence. Yeah, there was no evidence except her CONFESSION. Really? Are we doing this?

It all feels as superficial as that throwaway scene with Kim and Jesse.

The brief appearances of Walt and Jesse in this series just serve to show how inferior this ending was to the one we got in Breaking Bad. It's a regretful nostalgia. Not only didn't they stick the landing on BCS, but they've littered the runway with debris.

But hey, they're so creative because they gave us black and white episodes. What genius.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I I think they stretched the Kim beginning too long; I kept waiting for the call from Jimmy. I too thought it absurd that there would be no charges . The DA would probably approach her with a plea deal to plead guilty to lower charges to avoid trial since she confessed. Any DA would like a no brainer win ; since Kim confessed out of the blue she probably felt guilty enough not fight any charges.
    I didnt like when Jimmy made out like he was going to strangle her.
    Of course I was highly irritated that stupidity layered upon stupidity would lead to his exposure.

9. Stealth

Also the DA would want to clear Howard's name because prior to that he was a well respected lawyer. So yeah, they would offer some sort of plea. No one would pass up such a high profile slam dunk case either. It's laughable how the creators just shrugged all of that off because it was a loose end. We don't have time to go into all of that so let's just pretend no one would care. lol

It's a smaller point because the whole show has been a train wreck since we went to the Gene episodes, but they also want us to believe that Jimmy would be like oh cool, weak cab driver dude is in custody. He's calling me. Oh yeah, let's bail him out. He would've gotten his stuff and hauled ass out of there. Why wouldn't the cab driver rat on Jimmy to get out of trouble?

So that's twice now he could've/should've called Ed, the guy who helps people disappear, to get a new identity.

I was watching a Youtube review and I couldn't get through it. This person was explaining how they had all these throwbacks and references to Breaking Bad and earlier BCS. Apparently the airport scene with Kim was filmed the same way they did a Walt episode.

Maybe if these genius writers hadn't been so focused on Easter eggs in the episodes, they could've written something at least mediocre for the final episodes.

I wish the last episode was available now, so I could just finally be done with this.

10. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I dont know what they can do in the last episode so I am at least somewhat satisfied with how the series ends. What are they going to do? The police have been called and should be able to catch him. Is the episode going to be Jimmy trying to evade them or caught and trying to defend himself or confessing to everything he has done? I cant think of any satisfying options right now but will watch it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealth

There's nothing they can do that will satisfy me at this point except say the Gene timeline was a dream while he was in the safehouse with Walter prior to getting his new identity. Cheesy, but better than this. The funniest part of that though would be the people that say this story has been great would look stupid, because it's not real.

Another thing they could've done with these episodes to make it more compelling would've been to have Jimmy on the run. After being noticed by the cab driver Ed doesn't have time to get to him. Jimmy keeps trying to evade law enforcement. Since he's smart he has various ways of just slipping away, sort of like the old DiCaprio film, "Catch Me if You Can."

Finally, he just gets tired of being on the run and the last thing he does is go to see Kim. We have a final scene with them, and the last thing you see is tons of law enforcement converging where he is. End of story.

Anyway, they might be leading up to his death. The reason is that they seemed to want to make us hate him more in these last couple of episodes. He targeted the guy with cancer and then ridiculously threatened to strangle the old lady.

And that's another reason I have ambivalence toward the creators. They're injecting this stuff at the end about how we should hate the guy, when they've humanized him for 6 seasons. He even gave the money to the Kettlemans after Kim had threatened them. She walked out and when he joined her in the car she asked him if he had done it. She was being painted at the more hardcore person (the one driving the Howard plot too). Now the roles are reversed. And it's not due to character development, just because the writers say so.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

It finished with what I thought would most likely happen, with him confessing but also with another thing I thought likely, him defending himself, so I wasnt surprised. I dont know if I was supposed to think that he was trying to help Kim in some way by confessing because I dont think it would help her in a criminal case nor civil suit but instead would just add ammunition to them. She seemed nervous that he was going to throw her under bus at sentencing but why would she since she felt so wracked by guilt that she traveled a long distance to submit a written confession. The time machine discussion stuff seemed like it was retrofitting his personality in the past to come up with a neat ending.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stealth

If their plan was to give us 3 horrible episodes in a row so that when we watched the finale it wouldn't seem too terrible, then they succeeded.

I thought they wouldn't give up the black and white stuff for the finale. Continuing with it was just pretentious.

This could've been a good ending if the character earned this development. For instance everything Walter White did made sense. He slowly became Heisenberg and then his choices at the end also fit with a character that was both dying, and had no way out.

Just in the last episode Jimmy threatened to strangle an old lady with a phone cord. Now he's ready to confess, not only about what he did with Walter, but also about Chuck? What was the great life changing moment that got the character to this point? He was hiding in a dumpster and had a scheme to get only 7 years in jail in the SAME episode. Why now?

Also the Chuck thing bothered me because while Jimmy should not have done what he did to him, Chuck was also a terrible person trying to destroy his brother's life. Also, Kim gets off relatively easy in this as well, when she was the person pushing the Howard plot.

I cringed when Jimmy said if not for him Walter White would've been dead early. No, he was smart and would've figured out another way without you. What the Hell was that all about?

We don't know why Jimmy did this confession. It doesn't save Kim because she put her own in writing too. A known conman just said he was responsible for everything except the JFK assassination. Good luck in court Kim since you admitted to the stuff already.

So what was all of that?

And sure, the prosecutors would bring in Hank's wife to sit in on the negotiations for Jimmy's plea deal. Completely realistic.

The fan service scenes with Mike, Walt and Chuck in this episode did nothing to add to the story. They were just these, oh it's cool to see those guys again sort of thing.

I really don't understand how these writers went from such a great episode like Lalo walking in and killing Howard, to this messed up ending. They only had years to plan it out too.

• Agree Agree x 1