Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

How was it for you?

Discussion in 'Episode 1117 - Lockdown' started by BlackBird, Oct 3, 2022.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Thrilled to have the show back for its final lap. Story is pushed forward nicely with plans in action to make sure everyone will be safe back at the Commonwealth.

Carol/Negan collaboration is always good fun, as was Negan’s entry into the CW, his first meeting with Mercer.

Nice moment with Daryl and Maggie, though I didn’t like Daryl’s line about Glenn. He didn’t just save Maggie for Glenn. He saved her because she’s family. It just felt like they wanted to bring up Glenn’s name (which is good) but the way they did it was not the best writing and felt forced.

Rating-wise I give it 7, points taken off for things such as car chase (oh please no, though nice callback to the pilot) crowd scenes (yikes) and a few walkers pulling a fresh body apart :confused: and the continued annoying uselessness of the CW army foam uniform. Not to mention how pathetic most of these soldiers are.

Points added just for having the show back, and for all things Daryl Dixon. :rolleyes: For Negan repeating Sebastian’s words “Do you know who *I* am?” And for swearing. Will they finally allow people speak properly on the show? Also for Carol/Negan collaboration and lovely scene with Yumiko and Magna plus just seeing Jerry again.

Bring on 11x18! Great cliff hanger.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I actually forgot it was on. But, even though I’m on the east coast of Florida, we still had debris. That’s what I was doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

It was alright. I wish they hadn’t broken the last season up like they did cause I found myself having trouble getting back into the emotional intensity I used to have for the show. I even had to stop and think for a moment about where we’d left off.

It was nice to reconnect with our favorite characters. They always leave their mark on whatever community they find themselves in, for better or worse, lol. I too got a chuckle out of the exchange between Negan and Sebastian. I thought if the kid really knew who Negan was, he’d piss his pants! Best moment for me was having Hornsby with a knife to his throat.

In the end, what’s it all for? This community seemed to me to be the best chance for our beloved characters to finally find some peace and happiness albeit with a change in leadership. With all their advanced weaponry and supposed know how, it makes me wonder how a large number of walkers were allowed to get that close. There should have been barricades or booby traps or whatever at a good distance from the city to prevent this type of thing from occurring. I feel like Pam and Lance got too lax with controlling the primary reason they had to form this community to begin with and over much with controlling the people within.
    When I see the young ones finally having the childhood they should, it hurts my heart to hear the adults talking about getting ready to leave.

Let’s see if Carol (and the others) can indeed pull rabbits out of their asses.

#3 purriwinkle, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. purriwinkle

Happy to hear you got through Ian with a minimum of problems.

5. ChrisAnn

ChrisAnn Member

I too am glad to hear you are safe sharpie.

As far as why the swarm got so close, pretty sure Pam radioed someone to "go ahead with Plan B" or whatever she called it. i.e. let the swarm advance to force the residents inside their homes and stop the protest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. purriwinkle

That might have happened but it would only go to show how soft of a leader she’d become. Pam’s been away too long from having to basically survive if she thinks the biggest threat to the CW is a few citizens with placards and megaphones. That’s the type of stunt that has the potential to backfire spectacularly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BlackBird

I think we will see a struggle here, not everyone wanting to leave. For some of them, especially the young, staying would be preferable. In fact, probably for all of them. It’s a really shitty and hostile world out there for a small group. Bring on a new government and stay.

it is heart breaking. There’s also the issue of these youngsters becoming young adults and needing to find partners and start their own families safely.

Oh I have no doubts about that! :D

8. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It's funny. I mentioned previously that I wouldn't be watching the final 8 after the mess we had in the middle third of episodes. My DVR recording is still set for it though, and I saw it yesterday morning and I was like, what is THAT? A promo or preview? lol I had no idea the show was even returning already. They picked a bad time to do so too, with the big success that House of the Dragon has become.

Once all the episodes are done, I might fast forward through it to get a gist of what happened, but I still won't be watching week to week. For now I'll just let it all record.

9. BlackBird

Oh it’s a pity that you won’t be watching week to week, I do enjoy reading your reactions. The next TWD episode is really good, I’m one ahead.

Is House of Dragon really good then? I haven’t started it yet. We are just binge watching Stranger Things then it’s next up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

You are watching these last eight episodes but aren't watching House of Dragons? Ok where is the facepalm gif? Maybe you are being paid to watch this over House of Dragons. There that explains it, lol.

I didn't watch it but I did watch the promo video for all the upcoming stuff off of youtube. Absolutely hilarious how they say things are just getting started. Let's see Tales of the Walking Dead just wrapped up and was getting about 300,000 viewers by the end. Doesn't really sound like a franchise that is just getting started.

Edit......just looked up the ratings for Sundays episode and it was 1.1m. Lol a franchise that was once getting 15m viewers on a regular basis is going to end its run with less than a million watching.

#10 lastcat3, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  11. BlackBird

Well, I’ll certainly be one of the last million watching, loyal to the last post credits. I love this show, with all its history.

I wonder sometime, with all the YT stuff you watch and research you do on the show and engaging in forum chat about it, why not just watch the damn show? :p

Of course I will watch HoD. Looking forward to it immensely. We are saving it for when my daughter comes home.

I didn't watch Tales of the WD, World Beyond, and I don’t watch Fear, - it’s only been the mother show for me, these characters I’ve loved over the years. So I’ll obviously follow the three spin-offs with Daryl, Rick and Michonne and Maggie and Negan. Will you not even watch the finale? The Rick and Michonne spin-off? Not even tempted? Because then it would be my turn to find the facepalm gif, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. lastcat3

I probably will watch it eventually. It may be six months to a year from now but will eventually. I did watch episode 1109 a week or two ago and was not very impressed with it. It is pretty jarring to go back and try to watch TWD while there are tv programs going on at the same time that are probably putting ten times as much money into what they produce as AMC is putting into Walking Dead. Right now am watching House of the Dragon, Rings of Power, and Andor. I get my fill of tv series from those three right there. And there are other shows that I would catch up on before I would TWD.

13. Stealth

Yeah House of the Dragon is very well done. My only complaint has been that it's moving a bit too quickly, particularly the time jump in episode 6. The content though is top notch from the writing down to the acting. I think they were unsure how well the show would be received after the disastrous ending of GOT so they want to move through the story briskly.

You'll really enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stealth

I did end up watching one episode of Tales, the Alpha one. I was curious about what they'd do with her backstory and it was really pretty sad. Nothing was added to her character from it. What we got in TWD was better. This really didn't make sense and I didn't feel it even fit into the original timeline. She was on a boat with people during the apocalypse. I guess it's not as stupid as the Daryl spinoff they're going to do in France, but hey, the bar is really low right now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lastcat3

I will just say this regarding the Negan and Maggie show. I don't buy for one second that those two would be teaming up together. Perhaps if Negan killing Glenn was an accident but absolutely not in the way he did kill him. It is clear that AMC is teaming characters/actors together not for the best of the story but just who they feel is the most marketable.

Honestly if AMC really wants this franchise to last they need to do a reboot and then once the Negan storyline comes do things completely different from how it was done the first time. Oh and put some damn money into the show. THe days of it being acceptable to only put 1 to 2 million an episode into your show are long gone.

#15 lastcat3, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stealth

Putting aside the story of Rick/Michonne, Negan is the only other person in this saga who could still be interesting if it's done right. They should've done a spinoff with him as a crossover show with Madison from Fear. You need something fresh for the character, and as you said teaming him with Maggie is unbelievable

Speaking of Fear they messed that up too early on when they didn't show how society unraveled. They quickly jumped to the period where we met Rick in the hospital. At the time I said they were doing too many shows too soon to cash in on the popularity of TWD and it would oversaturate the market.

Now imagine if they had waited with Fear, had a clear end date for TWD that included Rick, and then promoted the new Fear series, where you would get to see new people from the very start of the apocalypse. With the original show ending many would be interested in trying to go on the ride again.

And if they'd done an anthology style series instead of Fear, and used it to show backstories on the Governor, Abe etc, after they left the show, they could've still cashed in, but it would've been given fans extra content that they wanted. There are many characters they could've explored.

While AMC wanted more content, Gimple is largely to blame. They went to Vince Gilligan when Breaking Bad was doing so well and wanted him to prolong it and he told them that would go beyond the story he wanted to tell. So it didn't happen.

I really think TWD could've had a healthy franchise. Of course I don't believe it would've been like Marvel, Star Wars or what we'll be getting with the House of the Dragon/Martin content, but it could've done well for AMC. Now they're pretending they have something they don't, squeezing out the sponge after Gimple mishandled everything.

17. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

Squeezing out the sponge. I like that. There were moments - Negan repeating 'Do you know who I am' was enjoyable - but they had to add unimpressive zombie kills every now & again to remind us it's a zombie show. The whole political plot feels generic, like it was recycled from a failed pilot of a non-zombie show. Carol & Daryl keep me watching, but it felt like a chore.

18. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

So, the two ex-CIA assassins are going after Carol and the kids?
    Somehow I think Carol will handle them well with surprise.
    Or even better, since the big bald guy took the pic with the kids, he might be swiftly dealt with by Judith's sword when he tried to lay his hands on Hershel Jr and Aaron's daughter (forget her name).

And it is a surprise that, after all these years, and with the advance state of the CW, there does not seem to have an effective plan to take care of an approaching herd.

19. BlackBird

Yes, it’s all rather ridiculous and an annoying plot. Good to see you’re still here, Blueman.

20. BlackBird

I agree that the political plotline is painfully generic and predictable. The only interesting thing in this whole story is how our TF members will deal with it, what compromises they’re willing or unwilling to make to stay behind the (relatively) safe walls, and if they stay, what changes they would be able to bring about to make this place work for them.

I would argue though that the Maggie/Negan duo forced to go on a mission together is not at all ridiculous, and certainly not generic.
    I think this complex and massively complicated relationship is in fact one of the most interesting things that has come out of TWD, and feels fresh and original, not always adequately well written but mostly so, and certainly very well acted. As long as they will manage to keep steering a 100% away from any hint of sexual tension or romantic suggestion, it will be a very interesting spinoff. They still have a lot of conversations to be had, and both characters are fabulously strong and resourceful. Their reluctant alliance forced upon them by circumstance has great potential for very good drama. Maggie’s never been one of my favourites and Negan is certainly not (though I think both are very good characters) - but I do very much enjoy their dynamic and will be very interested to see this collaboration.